Make the most of your week with our top 16 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, October 15 to Sunday, October 21, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in October 2018
Interact with costumed interpreters and watch battle reenactments at the annual Texian Market Days Festival, dress up as a pirate and search for gold in La Porte, root for the Rockets in their first game of the season, race through CityCentre while dressed as a superhero to help end child abuse, come hungry for a culinary showcase in West Houston and more.
Top 16 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Houston Astros vs. Boston Red Sox at Minute Maid Park | Tuesday, October 16 to Thursday, October 18 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field for games 3, 4, and 5 against the Red Sox at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $125, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Tuesday 4:09pm; Wednesday 7:39pm; Thursday 7:09pm.
- 11th Annual Zest In The West at Chateau Crystale | Wednesday, October 17 – Sample bites from West Houston’s top restaurants, sip from a selection of more than 150 world-class wines and craft beers, and dance to live music throughout the eleventh annual Zest in the West culinary showcase at Chateau Crystale. While you munch, you can root for your favorite restaurants as a panel of foodies determines the winners of the Best of the Zest Culinary Awards. Tickets start at $65. 7pm to 10pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. New Orleans Pelicans at Toyota Center | Wednesday, October 17 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Pelicans in their first game of the season at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $25, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork resale market. 7pm.
- Buxton in Concert at The Heights Theater | Friday, October 19 – Celebrate the long-awaited release of Stay Out Late, an Americana album by local musicians Buxton, at The Heights Theater. Tickets start at $18. 7pm.
- Cultivated Cocktails at Southside Place Community Garden | Friday, October 19 – Sip aperitivo cocktails while munching on hors-d’oeuvres and gourmet pizza when Southside Community Garden hosts an evening of Cultivated Cocktails. During the event, three mixologists will craft unique cocktails using fresh ingredients with an Italian twist, with one winner named at the end of the night. $75. 6pm to 9pm.
- King’s Oktoberfest Weekend at King’s BierHaus in The Heights | Friday, October 19 to Sunday, October 21 – Get your fill of German beers, brats, and live music during King’s annual Oktoberfest celebration in The Heights. Party-goers can partake in adult carnival games, arm wrestling, and strongman competitions, and enter for the chance to win an all-inclusive trip for two to Oktoberfest 2019 in Munich, Germany. Tickets start at $12. Times vary.
- Houston Grand Opera presents The Flying Dutchman at the Wortham Center for the Performing Arts | Friday, October 19 and Sunday, October 21 – See the opening show of Houston Grand Opera’s 2018 to 2019 season with a dramatic performance of the haunting love story, The Flying Dutchman, at the Wortham Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets start at $25. Friday 7pm; Sunday 2pm.
- Child Advocates Superhero Run in CityCentre | Saturday, October 20 – Bust out your spandex, mask, and cape, and run or walk a 5K at the annual Child Advocates Superhero Run, which raises funds to fight child abuse. Held at CityCentre, the race will be followed by a celebration with shopping, food, entertainment, inflatables, a costume contest, and family-friendly activities. Tickets start at $15. 7am.
- 35th Annual Texian Market Days Festival at George Ranch Historic Park | Saturday, October 20 – Discover more than 150 years’ worth of history at the 35th Annual Texian Market Days in George Ranch Historic Park. The family-friendly festival offers hands-on activities, battle re-enactments, live entertainment, costumed interpreters, historic home tours, games, vintage vehicles, food, and craft vendors. Tickets start at $10. 9am to 5pm.
- East End Street Fest on Navigation Esplanade | Saturday, October 20 | FREE – Experience the rich culture of Houston’s East End with live entertainment on multiple stages, a diverse selection of food, shopping, and art, all available at East End Street Fest on Navigation Esplanade. Noon to 10pm.
- The Search for Lafitte’s Gold festival in La Porte | Saturday, October 20 | No Cover – Strike gold as you scour the streets of La Porte, along with live music, entertainment, a pirate-themed costume contest, and food and drink vendors during the family-friendly Search for Lafitte’s Gold street festival in Five Points Plaza. You can also stop by an airbrush tattoo artist, ride down inflatable slides, and partake in other pirate-themed activities. 4pm to 9pm.
- Houston Halloween Fest in The Heights | Saturday, October 20 – Have a scary good time at Houston Halloween Fest in The Heights, which will feature a musical performance by the Spazmatics, food trucks, a beer garden, a kids zone, and shopping from local vendors. $10. 5pm to 10pm.
- Monster Jam at NRG Center | Saturday, October 20 – Get revved up for a high-energy showcase of massive trucks crushing, ramming, crashing, and soaring through the air at NRG Center. Tickets start at $15, but you may find cheaper or better seats on the TicketNetwork resale marketplace. 7pm.
- Patton Oswalt at Revention Music Center | Saturday, October 20 – Burst out laughing when actor, comedian, and writer Patton Oswalt brings his Grammy-nominated stand-up show to Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $39, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online market. 8pm.
- 21st Annual Artober Fest in Downtown Galveston | Saturday, October 20 and Sunday, October 21 – Presented by The Grand 1894 Opera House, this annual fall festival transforms downtown Galveston into a gallery of colorful artwork in 14 different mediums. The showcase features more than 100 artists from across the country, with more than 7,500 attendees gathering to view their work. $5. Saturday 10am to 6pm; Sunday 11am to 5pm.
- Wings Over Houston at Ellington Airport | Saturday, October 20 and Sunday, October 21 – Watch vintage, World War II aircrafts soar across the sky in the 34th annual Wings Over Houston showcase at Ellington Airport. This year’s 2-day show includes a kids area, food and drink vendors, and a variety of aircraft entertainment. $40. 8am to 6pm both days.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).