Each week, Houstonians known for getting things done share their own favorite things to do around Houston in “My Top 5.” This week, Houston muralist and owner of Eyeful Art Murals and Designs Sebastien “Mr. D” Boileau shares his favorite things to do in Midtown and Greater Houston.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Sebastien “Mr. D” Boileau
- Walking around Midtown, where I live, work and play – Midtown reminds me of some of the cities of Europe, where I grew up. I enjoy being able to take a walk around my neighborhood, where I typically run into friends, and being just a short stroll from some of my favorite restaurants such as Artisans serving up impeccable classic French cuisine using only the best ingredients.
- Viewing the installations at The Lawndale Art Center – Lawndale is dedicated to supporting contemporary art with an emphasis on the work of regional artists. I look forward to the mural installations in particular on the 3,200 square foot wall, which is also located in my neighborhood. I also appreciate that Lawndale’s programs are meant to further the creative exchange of ideas among Houston’s diverse communities.
- Visiting Kingspoint, the large outdoor graffiti gallery in South Houston – Open to the public, this space is flooded with murals and graffiti in all kinds of shapes and colors. I look forward to seeing the work of Houston’s graffiti artists and muralists and from those around the world, particularly after the Meeting of Styles, a worldwide event, which was hosted at Kingspoint for the first time last year.
- Enjoying the patio at Majorca Bistro and Tapas with my friends – Not only is the food at Majorca deliciously, authentically Spanish, but the European atmosphere makes me feel right at home. With drinks that are made just right, I like to relax with friends on the patio, and enjoy the views of the Houston skyline, especially on a cool, breezy day.
- Buying my art supplies at my favorite store, Art Supply On Main – The shop is also located where I live-work-play. It is great to be able to buy my favorite brands, such as Liquitex spray paint and markers, without having to leave my neighborhood. This family-owned business has a staff that is knowledgeable and friendly and is fully supportive of the art community, which I obviously can appreciate.
About Sebastien “Mr. D” Boileau
Born in Versailles, France, Sebastien “Mr. D” Boileau was influenced by the American graffiti movement in the ‘70s and ‘80s. He began his artistic endeavors in Paris in 1987 at the age of 14, creating his first large scale mural measuring 3,000 square feet two years later. His successful mural company, Eyeful Art Murals and Designs, was launched in 2000 shortly after his move to the U.S. and now serves both public and private sectors that seek the creative endowments of his talented team. Mr. D’s residence and business are both in Midtown Houston, where he is currently painting the biggest mural in the history of the city of Houston at approximately 10,000 square feet, titled Preservons la Creation.