- This event has passed.
Mayor’s History Makers Awards presented by Comcast: Dr. Beverly Nolan | Virtual
Friday, February 12, 2021 | 9:00 amFree
In celebration of Black History Month, Comcast will honor eight community volunteers for the fourth annual Mayor’s History Makers Awards presented by Comcast.
This year’s History Makers Award recipients will be celebrated through a series of vignettes that will be featured on Comcast’s social media platforms beginning Monday, February 1, 2021.
Comcast will also donate $1,000 to the nonprofit organization of each honoree’s choice.
Houston History Makers 2021 Vignettes Lineup
- Highlight Introduction Video | Monday, February 1, 2021
- Carol Mims Galloway | Wednesday, February 3, 2021 – Nominated by NAACP
- Sue Johnson | Friday, February 5, 2021 – Nominated by Family Service Center of Galveston County
- Dr. LaShondra Jones | Monday, February 8, 2021 – Nominated by South East Veterans’ Resource Effort (SERVE)
- Dr. Beverly Nolan | Friday, February 12, 2021 – Nominated by Holocaust Museum Houston
- Commissioner Grady Prestage | Monday, February 15, 2021 – Nominated by Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Houston
- Dr. Vernus Swisher | Wednesday, February 17, 2021 – Nominated by Center for Pursuit
- Dr. Antonio Dwayne Tillis | Friday, February 19, 2021 – Nominated by East End Chamber Foundation
- Dr. Judith Craven | Monday, February 22, 2021 – Nominated by Mayor Sylvester Turner
“This year’s honorees have dedicated their lives to serving the public, and they have contributed to making our community stronger and more resilient. They deserve to be celebrated every day and especially during Black History Month,” Mayor Sylvester Turner said. “I am grateful to Comcast for shining a positive light on these exceptional individuals. Time and again, Comcast demonstrates why they are a leader in corporate citizenship through commitment and action.”
Honorees were judged on criteria that included their personal impact in the community, helping further the mission of a nonprofit organization and overcoming personal obstacles. Judges for the awards include Judge Lina Hidalgo, Harris County; Shannon LaNier Anchor, CW39, Blogger, Daddy Duty 365; Khambrel Marshall, Meteorologist, KPRC-TV; Francis Paige, Jr. Publisher, Houston Style Magazine; Edward Pollard, Houston City Council Member, District J; and Dr. Ruth Simmons, President, Prairie View A&M University.
All vignettes will debut at 9am and will remain available for viewing online. Watch or get more information.
This Boosted Calendar Listing was sponsored by the event organizer. This listing is expanded beyond our basic listings, featuring event graphics and images and more detailed information. They’re added to our calendar within one business day of purchase. When relevant, they are included automatically with all advertising campaigns, packages, and orders.
Ad revenue supports 365 Things to Do in Houston, our staff, and our contributors, allowing us to continue our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.