- This event has passed.
Galveston Island Beach Revue 2020: Virtual Edition
Saturday, August 1, 2020 | 2:00 pm to 4:00 pmFree
Dubbed the “Pageant of Pulchritude” by C.E. Barfield, Galveston’s Bathing Beauties Contest began in the summer of 1920 and marked the kick-off for tourist season each year. Although traditionally held as an in-person festival that welcomes thousands each year, this year’s virtual edition doesn’t skip on the special events that have made it so beloved.
Galveston Island Beach Revue 2020 Event Line-up
- Building the Perfect Cocktail with Daiquiri Time Out – Join Brad Stringer, owner of Daiquiri Time OutGalveston, behind the bar for a look at the Mary Pickford, a special Beach Revue cocktail. The drink is be available for order and pickup through Daiquiri Time Out.
- Seawall Slideshow with Galveston Historical Foundation – Explore images of the 1920s Galveston Island Beach Revue, newly-acquired by GHF. Historian Jami Durham will share the photos, stories, and history of the event.
- Vintage Clothing & Style with Dandy Wellington – Known for his features in The New York Times, Vogue, and other fashion chronicles, Wellington will share his appreciation for the swinging big bands, elegant parties, and beautifully tailored clothing of the 1920s and ’30s. He’ll also select a “Best Vintage Dressed” award from the online audience. Tag yourself in your vintage best at #beachrevue for a chance to win a coveted Beach Revue sash.
- Performances from Matt Tolentino & Gin Minksy – Matt Tolentino is one of the leading performers dedicated to the music of the 1910s, ’20s, and ’30s. He brings the music of yesterday to the audience of today, presented with respect and reverence. Gin Minsky has been known as NYC’s premiere tap and burlesque performer, event producer, and go-to gal for all things Jazz Age, blending skill, creativity, technique, and charm..
- Classic Auto Group Virtual Vintage Car Show – Hot rods, rat rods, vintage trailers, and more are lining up to take part in the Galveston Island Beach 2020 car show. This online parade of cars will feature owner submitted shots of their entered vehicles with no models featured built before 1975.
- The World-Famous Bathing Beauties Contest – Always a crowd favorite, the main event is the Bathing Beauties Contest, where retro swimwear is chic, and vintage is king. Contestants will model vintage and vintage-inspired swimwear and accessories that echo the “good ol’ days” of Galveston’s summertime history, vying for cash prizes and top honors.
This Boosted Calendar Listing was sponsored by the event organizer. These are expanded beyond our basic listings, featuring event graphics and images and more detailed information. They’re added to our calendar within one business day of purchase. When relevant, they are included automatically with all advertising campaigns, packages, and orders.
Ad revenue supports 365 Things to Do in Houston, our staff, and our contributors, allowing us to continue our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.