- This event has passed.
14 Pews’ Anti-Racist Book Club on Zoom
Thursday, July 30, 2020 | 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
An event every month that begins at 7:00 pm on day Last of the month, repeating until Thursday, May 27, 2021
14 Pews hosts a monthly Anti-Racist Book Club, which will meet the last Thursday of the each month.
Book club members will read books across genres that explore issues of race in America as in order to better understand ourselves, our history, and our Houston community.
Education and greater self-awareness are foundational for change. All who have read that month’s book are welcome.
Book club meetings will be held on Zoom through at least Thursday, September 24, 2020 and may be extended as necessary.
Upcoming Featured Books
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin Diangelo | Thursday, July 30, 2020 (Zoom)
- How to Be An Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi | Thursday, August 27, 2020 (Zoom)
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi | Thursday, September 24, 2020 (Zoom)
- Good White Racist? Confronting Your Role in Racial Injustice By Kerry Connelly | Thursday, October 29, 2020
- My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and Bodies by Resmaa Menakem | Thursday, November 26, 2020
- So you Wanna Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo | Date TBD
- Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla F. Saad | Thursday, January 28, 2020
- The Mis-Education of the Negro by Carter G. Woodson | Thursday, February 25, 2020
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander | Thursday, March 25, 2020
- White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide by Carol Anderson | Thursday, April 29, 2020
- The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America by Richard Rothstein | Thursday, May 27, 2020
Participation is free, if you’ve read the book of the month. Email [email protected] to sign up, for more information, or with any additional questions.