Discover the top kid-friendly things to do in Houston from Monday, September 11 to Sunday, September 17, 2023.
This week, take a hike with your littles, immerse yourselves in Vietnamese culture, kick off Hispanic Heritage month, catch a flick on the green, and more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 12 Family Things To Do in Houston This Week
- Tyke Hikes at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center | Monday, September 11 – Children and their adult companion can join a naturalist for a story reading, a simple nature activity or craft, and a stroller-friendly hike on the Arboretum trails. $7. 9:30am to 10:15am.
- Fiestas Patrias WonderWeek at Children’s Museum Houston | Tuesday September 12 to Sunday, September 17 – Bring the kiddos to Museum District for fun activities that pay homage to the patriotic independence holiday, Fiestas Patrias. Take some time creating your own independence flag, share sweet treats, and more. $17. 10am to 6pm.
- Children’s Storytime at City Place | Thursday, September 14 | FREE – Bring the kids to the Spring-area destination for a storytime session with fairies. 5:30pm.
- Hispanic Heritage Celebration at Houston Farmers Market | Friday, September 15 | FREE – The market on Airline Drive in the Heights honors the month celebrating Hispanic Heritage with an afternoon and evening of local market shopping, face painting, salsa class, Aztec dances, ballet folklorico, and mariachi. 3pm to 9pm.
- El Grito with Mariachi Nuevo Tecalitlán at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, September 15 | FREE – Miller’s annual kickoff for Mexican Independence Day and Hispanic Heritage Month returns with a free night of classic Mexican music from Mariachi Nuevo Tecalitlán, a 15-member group with a rich legacy of more than 50 years of mariachi music. 7:30pm.
- Viet Cultural Fest at NRG Center | Saturday, September 16 – Immerse the family in a full day of Vietnamese culture at this festival celebrating Houston’s Viet community with traditional dance and music performances, Vietnamese games and trivia, pageants, a phở-eating contest, and plenty of delicious dishes. $10 for ages 3 and up; $15 at the door. 10am to 7pm.
- Houston Creole Festival at Emancipation Park | Saturday, September 16 – The ninth annual festival celebrating Houston’s Creole heritage returns to Emancipation Park in Third Ward with a family-friendly day of Zydeco and dancing, plus a local vendor market, kids zone and flavorful foods like cookies, barbecue, brisket, gumbo and more. $10 and up; $5 for ages 12 to 17; free for ages under 12. 11am to 10pm.
- Fiesta in the Square: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month at Redemption Square | Saturday, September 16 | FREE – The Northeast Houston shopping and dining destination opens Hispanic Heritage Month with a fiesta featuring live music, festive food, a vendor market and dance performances. 3pm to 8pm.
- Tangled Movie Screening at Discovery Green | Saturday, September 16 | FREE – Watch a screening of Disney’s 2010 musical adventure, Tangled on the lawn in Downtown. The evil Mother Gothel keeps Rapunzel and her magical locks kept away from the rest of the world, until the brave girl asks for help to escape from an unlikely visitor. 7pm.
- Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse: Live in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Saturday, September 16 – Enjoy a night of music from the sprawling hip-hop based score of Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse. $36 and up. 7pm.
- The 2nd Chance Run at Minute Maid Park | Sunday, September 17 – Starting from inside Minute Maid, this all-ages run honors organ, eye and tissue donors while pounding pavement in Downtown through 5K and 1-mile courses. Runners receive a commemorative shirt, swag bag and event medal. Registration starts at $40 for the 5K, $30 for the 1-Mile. 7:30am.
- Houston Texans vs. Indianapolis Colts at NRG Stadium | Sunday, September 17 – Cheer on the Texans when they host the Colts for the first home game of the regular season. Get pumped to see this year’s team take the field as you enjoy new concessions like Trill Burgers and more. $60 and up. Noon.
Don’t Miss Out on Tomorrow’s Fun!
Don’t want to miss anything? Opt in for our Daily Updates to discover new things happening in Houston and receive special updates and offers, every weekday.