Grab a ticket and some popcorn for our picks to the top games and sports events across Houston in September 2023.
This month, you can watch as the Astros and Space Cowboys close out regular seasons, the Dynamo make a final push for the playoffs, the Texans kick off a new year, and the Cougars enter the Big 12 on the football field.
We’ve rounded up the top highlights of this month’s sporting schedule, but you can find more on the 365 Houston calendar.
Top 15 Sports Games in Houston This Month: September 2023
- Sugar Land Space Cowboys vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers at Constellation Field | Tuesday, September 5 to Sunday, September 10 – The Space Cowboys welcome the OKC Dodgers for a week-long series of baseball. Highlights through the week include a pup-friendly game on Thursday, Friday fireworks, and giveaways like jerseys and bobbleheads. $9 and up. Times vary.
- Borregos vs Autenticos Tigres at NRG Park | Friday, September 8 – The first ever ONEFA game to be played on United States soil will see Mexican college football teams the Borregos from Tec de Monterrey and Tigres from Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León battle it out on the NRG field. $15 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Astros vs. San Diego Padres at Minute Maid Park | Friday, September 8 to Sunday, September 10 – The regular season is ticking away and the San Diego Padres are coming to town for a quick weekend series, featuring giveaways like a Kyle Tucker bobblehead on Friday, an Astros Hawaiian shirt on Saturday and a challenge coin on First Responders Day on Sunday afternoon. $33 and up. Times vary.
- Football: UH Cougars vs. Rice Owls at Rice Stadium | Saturday, September 9 – College football returns and it’s a battle for the Bayou Bucket when the Coogs visit the Owls at Rice. $25 and up. 6pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Oakland Athletics at Minute Maid Park | Monday, September 11 to Wednesday, September 13 – Tony Kemp and the A’s head to town for a three-game series as the Astros look to wind down the regular season on the right track. Celebrate Hello Kitty Night on Tuesday, or swing by on Wednesday and pick up a Justin Verlander World Series ring. $15 and up. Times vary.
- Football: UH Cougars vs. TCU at TDECU Stadium | Saturday, September 16 – The nationally-ranked Horned Frogs hop down to H-Town for the Coogs’ first Big 12 opponent of the season. $50 and up. 7pm.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs. St. Louis City SC at Shell Energy Stadium | Saturday, September 16 – La Naranja face the top dogs of the Western Conference with playoff seeding on the line. $21 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Texans vs. Indianapolis Colts at NRG Stadium | Sunday, September 17 – The Colts come down to Texans town to tussle as 2023 NFL season gets started in earnest. $60 and up. Noon.
- King’s Cup at Houston Polo Club | Sunday, September 17 – Polo season is back and the fall is kicking off with the King’s Cup. Enjoy world class polo, a player parade, live music, a Champagne divot stomp at halftime, a special trophy presentation, and delicious Argentine and Brazilian—inspired fare by David Cordúa’s Lymbar. $18 and up; Box seats for 2 to 20 guests range from $100 to $995. 5pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Baltimore Orioles at Minute Maid Park | Monday, September 18 to Wednesday, September 20 – One of the best records in baseball comes to town for an electrifying face-off in the second-to-last home series of the season. Fans can go home with a Space City bucket hat on Monday or snag a mystery player World Series ring at Wednesday afternoon’s game. $15 and up. Times vary.
- Sugar Land Space Cowboys vs. El Paso Chihuahuas at Constellation Field | Tuesday, September 19 to Sunday, September 24 – The final series of the season sees the Chihuahuas back in town for Space City baseball. Fans can take in the weekend with a special Día de los Muertos jersey giveaway on Friday and a Jeremy Peña bobblehead giveaway on Saturday. $12 and up. Times vary.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Shell Energy Stadium | Wednesday, September 20 – Cheer on our lads as the Whitecaps drift down to EaDo for a Wednesday evening match. $7 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Kansas City Royals at Minute Maid Park | Friday, September 22 to Sunday, September 24 – Kansas City rolls into the juicebox to end the last homestand of the regular season. Marking Hispanic Heritage Weekend, fans can expect giveaways like a Jose Abreu Los Astros jersey on Friday and a sugar skull bobblehead on Saturday. $26 and up. Times vary.
- Football: UH Cougars vs. Sam Houston at TDECU Stadium | Saturday, September 23 – It’s a big cat battle as the Coogs host the Sam Houston Bearkats on their home turf during a Family Weekend celebration. $20 and up. 6pm.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs. FC Dallas at Shell Energy Stadium | Saturday, September 30 – Just three days after facing Lionel Messi in the US Open Cup Final (alas, held in Florida), the Dynamo will seek to secure a coveted playoff spot over their rivals from Dallas in the second-to-last home game of the season. $20 and up. 7:30pm.
Don’t Miss Out on Tomorrow’s Fun!
Don’t want to miss anything? Opt in for our Daily Updates to discover new things happening in Houston and receive special updates and offers, every weekday.