Move from Summer to Fall with food and drink festivals, end-of-season beach bashes, costumed celebrations and more around Galveston in September 2023.
Despite the heat, summertime is starting to wind down, but there’s still plenty of great events and celebrations down island as the weather (hopefully) finally starts to give us all a break.
And of course, with big beaches, deep history, charming shopping, great dining, the big outdoors and more, there’s always plenty do on Galveston every day of the year—even if there’s not a special event that catches your fancy. Explore the 10 reasons to visit Galveston in 2023.
The Top Events on Galveston Island in September 2023
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in Concert at The Grand 1894 Opera House | Friday, September 1 – The Grammy-winning American roots band brings five decades of music-making to downtown Galveston’s historic opera house. $38 and up. 8pm.
- Pride Galveston Around the Island | Saturday, September 2 & Sunday, September 3 – Food and wine lovers can take to Galveston for this three-day fest featuring seafood offerings from acclaimed Houston chefs Christine Ha, of Xin Chào and Stuffed Belly, and David Cordúa, of The Lymbar, a wine and spirit tasting with penguin encounters, a bourbon storytelling series with military veterans, and an opportunity to explore the Moody Gardens pyramids. Times and prices vary.
- Galveston Family Beach Challenge at East Beach | Sunday, September 3 | FREE – Band together as a family for the final beach challenge of the summer, where teams compete in a 14-game obstacle course, vying for gift cards and tickets to Galveston attractions. 10am.
- Galveston Sand Crab 5K, 10K & Kid’s Beach Mile at East Beach | Saturday, September 9 – This evening race features a beachside course lit by LED lights, refreshments and more, where you can race as a family under the stars. Flashlights or headlamps are required. Registration is $80 for the 5K, $85 for the 10K, and starts at $25 for the Kids Mile. 6pm to 10pm.
- 4th Annual Barry White Birthday Party at Lucky Lounge | Saturday, September 9 | No Cover – Celebrate the deep baritone R&B tones of Galveston’s native son, Barry White, at an afternoon party with filled with music, drink specials, giveaways, and barbecue plates in downtown Galveston. Free to attend; barbecue plates are $10 and proceeds benefit the Galveston Island Humane Society. Noon to 5pm.
- 16th Annual Galveston Women’s Conference at Moody Gardens Convention Center | Friday, September 15 – With a keynote speech by award-winning actress Christine Baranski—think Cybil, The Good Wife, The Good Fight, The Gilded Age, and more—the Galveston Women’s Conference focuses on women’s health and wellness issues, career empowerment, and strategies for success. $225; $175 for Galveston Chamber of Commerce members. 8am to 5pm.
- That ’70s Party with Galveston Arts Center azt Hendley Market Lofts | Friday, September 22 – Don your bellbottoms or your favorite 1970s-inspired attire and head out for night of food, drinks, music, prizes and live entertainment, while benefiting Galveston Arts Center’s outreach programs. $50. 6pm to 9pm.
- Galveston Island Shrimp Festival in Downtown Galveston | Friday, September 22 & Saturday, September 23 – The annual fest starts with the Friday Kick Off Party featuring a fried shrimp dinner, open bar, and live entertainment from Brandon McDermott Band. Then, the Shrimp Gumbo Cook-Off takes over the Historic Strand District beginning at 10am on Saturday. Other festivities include the Shrimp Scamper 5K Fun Run, Ron Hoover Boat Show, vendor exhibits, the Lil’ Shrimps Parade, and live music, plus the Gumbo Stroll from noon to 4pm. Sampling cups can be pre-purchased for $13. Friday 7:30pm to 10pm; Saturday 10am to 6pm.
- Galveston Fall Fashion Show at Tremont House | Thursday, September 28 – Spy new trends, styles and colors, against a backdrop of music and entertainment, while helping Unbound Now Houston fight human trafficking. $75 and up. 6pm to 9:30pm.
- Moonlit Mingle: A Spooky Singles Social at MarMo Plaza | Friday, September 29 – Singles 21 and up can kick off Halloween season with a lively costume party complete with a costume contest, witches brew cocktail mixology workshop, tarot readings, haunted trivia and more. $50. 7pm to 9pm.
- Culinary Immersive Experience Tour with Carr Mansion | Saturday, September 30 – Embark on a truly unforgettable Saturday experience that will have you learning from Galveston’s most prominent chefs and restauranteurs, unwinding at the Sealy Hutchins Estate and Carr Mansion, taking in a jazz performance at Tremont House, having incredible meals and cocktails, and more. $350, with optional overnight packages at Carr Mansion. 11am to 11pm.
- Ways to Beat the Heat in Galveston | Daily – While it is still scratching 100 degrees out, you can get in the water at attractions like Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn Galveston Waterpark, or get inside the cool air while having fun at museums, attractions and other fun destinations.
This article was sponsored by Visit Galveston. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Learn more about promoting your event or business.