Dig into live book events, the latest appearances by authors, and more with our roundup of book and literary events taking place in Houston in September 2023.
This month’s literary events showcase the serious and the whimsical in the world of reading and letters.
Acclaimed authors are in the city to sign their latest, and Houston’s literary and arts organizations come together for some original programming around books.
Here’s the scoop on what’s happening across the Bayou City this month:
Top 10 Book & Author Events in Houston: September 2023
- Kindred Stories presents Dr. Ruth J. Simmons at the Julia C. Hester House | Labor Day, Monday, September 4 | FREE – Born in East Texas to sharecropper parents, Dr. Simmons would go on to become the first Black female president of an Ivy League institution. She shares her journey in her new book, Up Home, which chronicles her life and the role family, community and education have played in her success. Free to attend; books available for $27. 4pm.
- Alice Feeney in Conversation with Abby Endler at Murder By the Book | Thursday, September 7 | FREE – Crime by the Book’s Abby Endler and best-selling author Alice Feeney discuss Feeney’s latest novel, Good Bad Girl, her writing process and more. To have a book signed, guests must purchase the book from the store. 6:30pm.
- Writespace presents Arts in the A.M.: Labyrinth Walk at the Chapel of St. Basil | Saturday, September 9 | FREE – Labyrinth designer Jay Stailey guides you through this meditative space on the campus of the University of St. Thomas. Following the walk, you’ll write about your experience and share your thoughts with fellow scribes. Registration required. 9am to 11am.
- One Houston, One Book Read-In at McGovern Stella Link Library | Thursday, September 14 | FREE – Join others of all ages in celebration of books that showcase diversity. You can read an excerpt from a book or listen as others share stories. Registration required to attend. 5pm.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale at the Albert George Branch Library | Saturday, September 16 | FREE – Add to your book collection by heading to this sale that benefits the Fort Bend Public Library branch’s programming. Hardcovers and paperbacks, nonfiction, fiction, children’s books and more will be available, starting at $1. 9am to noon.
- Jaipur Literature Festival Houston at Asia Society Texas | Saturday, September 16 – Modeled after the Jaipur Literature Festival in India’s Rajasthan, this literary event brings internationally acclaimed authors and thinkers to the Bayou City. The day of events includes Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, author of the globally regarded novel Independence, in conversation with Tyyba Maya Kanwal; Parini Shroff, author of The Bandit Queens, and Aruni Kashyap, author of The House With A Thousand Stories, in conversation with Namita Gokhale; an author reception and more. $20. 10am to 6pm.
- Inprint presents Lauren Goff at Rice University’s Brockman Hall for Opera | Monday, September 18 – The author reads from her latest novel, The Vaster Wilds, and discusses her writing with Maggie Galehouse as part of Inprint’s Margaret Root Brown Reading Series. The novel tells the story of a young girl who escapes from her colonial settlement and makes her way alone in the wilderness. $5. 7:30pm.
- The Progressive Forum presents Andy Borowitz at Wortham Center | Thursday, September 21 – The author and humorist discusses his book Profiles in Ignorance: How America’s Politicians Got Dumb and Dumber. Paying attendees will get a copy of the book, and the author will sign books and greet fans following the discussion. $45 and up. 7:30pm.
- Russ Feingold at Brazos Bookstore | Friday, September 22 | FREE – The former U.S. senator discusses his book, The Constitution in Jeopardy, written with Peter Prindville. It’s an exploration of our country’s foundations, voting and speech rights, amendments and what may happen in the future. Free to attend, but books for signings must be purchased from the store. 6pm.
- Blue Willow Bookshop presents Rick Riordan at Pasadena High School | Thursday, September 28 – The best-selling middle-grade author will sign and discuss his latest, Chalice of the Gods. Riordan, known for his Percy Jackson series, has sold millions of copies around the world, and is popular with children and adults alike. $19.99. 6pm.
Don’t Miss Out on Tomorrow’s Fun!
Don’t want to miss anything? Opt in for our Daily Updates to discover new things happening in Houston and receive special updates and offers, every weekday.