See the latest performing arts productions and theater happenings opening across Houston from Monday, August 21 to Sunday, August 27, 2023.
Looking for ways to keep the theater calendar straight? We have you covered with this weekly roundup series tracking openings at theaters and performing arts institutions across the city of Houston.
Dig deeper for more ongoing performances happening on stages across Houston by checking out the 365 Houston Calendar.
Here’s our list of must-see openings:
Top Performing Arts Openings This Week: August 21 to 27, 2023
- Peter & Wendy: Family Dance Theater at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, August 25 | FREE – With music from Two-Star Symphony, this retelling of the beloved Peter Pan story offers a showstopping performance through dance. The family-friendly adventure features a multi-generational cast, aerialists and eye-popping fun. 8pm.
- The Great American Trailer Park Musical at Art Factory | Friday, August 25 | Ongoing – Come down to Stark, Florida and the mobile home community of Armadillo Acres where new resident and local stripper Pippi is about to seriously shake things up. $30. Showtimes vary.
- Carmella Full of Wishes Community Event at MECA | Saturday, August 26 | FREE – Main Street Theater for Youth teams up with MECA in Sixth Ward for a family-friendly afternoon that includes a play, plus Carmella herself will read the children’s book by Matt de la Peña, about a little girl who picks a dandelion and makes a very special wish for her family. There will also be free crafts and treats. 1pm.
- Houston Yellow River Arts Group presents Forward at Hobby Center | Saturday, August 26 – Dedicated to cultural exchange between the U.S. and China, the Yellow River Arts Group performs this concert of Chinese folk songs and music from across several cultures. $12. 7:30pm.
- Music Box Theater presents Back to the ‘80s at Queensbury Theater | Saturday, August 26 | Ongoing – The cabaret group performs a concert of hits from the era of legwarmers, Members Only jackets and big hair. Expect your ‘80s favorites along with hilarity and hijinks. $38 and up. 7:30pm.
- Apollo Chamber Players presents Trace of Time at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Saturday, August 26 | FREE – This musical journey of cultural connections captures several varieties of music and dance, from spirituals to the tango. The show includes works by Adolphus Hailstork, Astor Piazzolla and Latin Grammy–winning composer and bandoneon performer Hector Del Curto. 8:30pm.
- Greg Audel: …Chapter 1 at MATCH | Sunday, August 27 – Storyteller Greg Audel has had a unique hobby since he was 12 years old: visiting with every celebrity and world leader who intrigued him. This show takes audiences through his adventures. $25 and up. 3pm.
Final Performances This Week
The final performances of the Summer Chills series featuring the Agatha Christie whodunit, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, closes at Alley Theatre on Sunday, August 27.
Don’t Miss Out on Tomorrow’s Fun!
Don’t want to miss anything? Opt in for our Daily Updates to discover new things happening in Houston and receive special updates and offers, every weekday.