See the latest performing arts productions and theater happenings opening across Houston from Monday, May 22 to Sunday, May 28, 2023.
Looking for ways to keep the theater calendar straight? We have you covered with this weekly roundup series tracking openings at theaters and performing arts institutions across the city of Houston.
Dig deeper for more ongoing performances happening on stages across Houston by checking out the 365 Houston Calendar.
Here’s our list of must-see openings:
Top Performing Arts Openings This Week: May 22 to 28, 2023
- Houston Ballet presents Divergence at Wortham Center | Thursday, May 25 | Ongoing – Stanton Welch’s choreography is set against the music of George Bizet in a production that also includes Aszure Barton’s Angular Momentum, an homage to Space City. $25 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Fairview at 4th Wall Theatre Company | Thursday, May 25 | Ongoing – This winner of the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for Drama explores assumptions and biases on race and identity, seen through the lens of the Fraisers, a middle-class American family preparing to host a dinner party. $32 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Forever Motown at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Thursday, May 25 to Saturday, May 27 | FREE – A signature performance during Miller Outdoor Theatre’s centennial year, this concert brings the lead singers of iconic groups like the Four Tops, the Temptations and the Marvelettes for an all-star performance of legendary Motown tunes over three straight nights. 8pm.
- Kinetic Ensemble presents Beyond the Sanctuary Walls at MATCH | Friday, May 26 – Kinetic closes its eighth season with music that explores themes of love, fear and vulnerability, featuring award-winning composer Theo Chandler, soprano Alexandra Smither and bassist Charles Paul. $30. 7:30pm.
- Catastrophic Theatre presents A Maroon’s Guide to Time & Space at MATCH | Friday, May 26 | Ongoing – Candice D’Meza’s play is a genre-bending experiential exploration of quantum mechanics that uses imagination to liberate oneself from the confines of linear time. Pay-what-you-can. Showtimes vary.
- Dirt Dogs Theatre presents August: Osage County at MATCH | Friday, May 26 | Ongoing – Unsettling secrets and repressions rear their heads as the Weston family gathers in the wake of the disappearance of their patriarch—and harsh truths open old wounds. $30. Showtimes vary.
Final Performances This Week
Make your way quick to catch the final show of Paul Hope Cabaret’s Sunny Side of the Street on Monday, May 22; and see the show-stopping new production of Rent at Hobby Center, closing on Sunday, May 28.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).