Get your crew over to Galveston this month to take in the great weather and a slew of big events happening on the island every weekend in May 2023.
We’ve pulled together our favorite events happening on Galveston Island in May, but you can always find more on the 365 Houston calendar and on the Visit Galveston website.
And of course, with big beaches, deep history, charming shopping, great dining, the big outdoors and more, there’s always plenty do on Galveston every day of the year—even if there’s not a special event that catches your fancy. Explore the 10 reasons to visit Galveston in 2023.
The Top 11 Events on Galveston Island in May 2023
- Galveston Island’s Beaches, Museums, Shopping, Destinations & Attractions | Daily – With its welcoming weather, May is the perfect month to explore the Island’s outdoor attractions and get out on the water.
- La Izquierda Surf & Music Festival at Galveston’s Beach Central | Friday, May 5 to Sunday, May 7 – Head down island for a three-day celebration of beach culture and live music, with 20 acts including headliner Bun B on Saturday along with sets from other local favorites Swimwear Department, Los Skarnales, Young Mammals, Robert Kuhn’s Galvezton, India Tigers in Texas, and more. The festival will also feature surf competitions, on Saturday, yoga, vendors, food trucks, art installations, and more. Free on Friday; $20 per day on Saturday and Sunday. Times vary.
- Here Comes the Surf at Galveston Children’s Museum | Saturday, May 6 – Kiddos can take to the coast and learn about rip tides, sea creatures, beach ecology, personal fitness and more at this free, action-packed afternoon at the Children’s Museum in Galveston. 10am to 1pm.
- Exhibit Connect with Dual at Galveston Arts Center | Friday, May 12 – Join Houston-based visual artist, Dual, as he leads an interactive, 2-hour interactive class and session highlighting his unique techniques with aerosol paint and collage art. The Exhibit Connect session highlights his work which can be seen his current exhibition, It’s Called Fishin’, Not Catchin’ at the center. $60. 5:30pm.
- Galveston Historic Homes Tour | Saturday, May 6 through Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 14 – Spanning two weekends, the highly anticipated Galveston Historic Homes Tour sees Galveston Historical Foundation opens up the doors to some of the most significant architectural history on the island, including old homes with fresh interior renovations. You’ll also find several special events that offer unique experiences at historic sites across Galveston. $50; $40 for Galveston Historic Foundation members. 10am to 6pm.
- Wild Game & BBQ Cook-Off Friday Night Fundraiser on the Colonel Paddlewheel Boat at Moody Gardens | Friday, May 12 –
- Party on the Paddlewheeler at the Cook-Off weekend kickoff, with dinner, drinks, and entertainment. $75. 7pm to 11pm.
- Yaga’s Wild Game & BBQ Cook-Off at Moody Gardens | Saturday, May 13 – Backyard chefs, sportsmen and women, and outdoor enthusiasts show off their culinary skills and enjoy some good old-fashioned fun, fellowship and food at the annual spring-time cooking competition and fundraiser. 9am to 6:30pm.
- GCVA Beach Volleyball Tournament at East Beach | Every Saturday Starting on Saturday, May 13 | FREE to Watch – Gulf Coast Volleyball Association hosts the first of its weekly V-ball tourneys of the 2023 summer season, offering the chance to watch lively games at all skill levels throughout the day, beginning on Saturday, May 13, 2023. 9am to 5pm.
- Mothers Day Champagne Brunch at 1880 Garden Verein | Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 14 – Held in one of Galveston’s most historic buildings, the 1880 Garten Verein, this festive brunch will feature a special gift, a Mother’s day corsage, live music, and more. $85; $95 with a homes tour. 10am to noon.
- Poetry at The Pro with LeChell “The Shootah” R. H. at The Proletariat Gallery | Thursday, May 18 | FREE – Three-time finalist of the Women of the World Poetry Slam, LeChell ranked second in the world in last year’s competition, and was finalist in the inaugural Stonewall International Poetry Slam. The Proletariat welcomes her in a one night showcase as part of its monthly poetry series. 5:30pm to 7:30pm.
- 4th Annual Flamingo Fest Golf Cart Parade & Pub Crawl in Downtown Galveston | Saturday, May 27 | FREE to Watch – Don your favorite pink attire and line up to catch this year’s edition of the Flamingo Fest Golf Cart Parade in the Postoffice District, featuring flamingo-adorned carts, scooters, bikes, and more. Noon to 5pm.
This article was sponsored by Visit Galveston. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Learn more about promoting your event or business.