Get your crew over to Galveston this month to take in the great weather and a slew of big events happening on the island every weekend in April 2023.
As we barrel ahead into the spring, there’s plenty being sprung in Galveston, with a Victorian-era-meets-the-future mashup celebration complete with costumes, a beachside challenge course for endurance athletes and their spectators, Easter meals and entertainment, the return of the tall ships fleet, family fests, and more.
We’ve pulled together our favorite events happening on Galveston Island in April, but you can always find more on the 365 Houston calendar and on the Visit Galveston website.
And of course, with big beaches, deep history, charming shopping, great dining, the big outdoors and more, there’s always plenty do on Galveston every day of the year—even if there’s not a special event that catches your fancy. Explore the 10 reasons to visit Galveston in 2023.
The Top 10 Events on Galveston Island in April 2023
- Galveston Steampunk Festival at Galveston Railroad Museum | Saturday, April 1 & Sunday, April 2 – Fans of the steampunk aesthetic will assemble for this two-day fest that celebrates the sci-fi subgenre that crosses Victorian-era tech with retrofuturism. Throughout the first day, fans can take in live music and special performances, participate in a costume contest and enjoy games like archery, axe throwing and more. Then, on Sunday, festival goers can stroll through home and history tours of the Galveston area, plus two evening walking ghost tours. $35 and up; $15 for kids. Noon to midnight.
- Easter Activities, Brunches & Fun Around Galveston | Saturday, April 1 to Easter Sunday, April 9 – There’s plenty to for kids and the whole family this Easter season, including Breakfast with the Easter Bunny at Moody Gardens, a free Easter Egg Hunt at Seawolf Park, and a free Easter Scavenger Hunt. Regardless of your family’s ages, there are options for everyone at Easter brunches and buffets at the San Luis Resort, Moody Gardens, and the Grand Galvez. Explore more Easter Weekend options on the island.
- Ironman 70.3 on Galveston Island | Sunday, April 2 | FREE to Watch – While it may be to late to enter and train, you can still stake a spot along the competition route as athletes prove their mettle in a 1.2-mile salt water swim, followed by a 56-mile bicycle ride and capped by a 13.2-mile half marathon. Learn more.
- 2023 Tall Ships Festival in Galveston | Thursday, April 13 to Sunday, April 16 – Serving as one of three Gulf Coast ports, this annual festival brings a fleet of tall ships traveling across the Gulf of Mexico, offering a chance to see these historic vessels and enjoy numerous events, plus sail-away excursions, music, food and family-friendly fun. $15; $10 for ages 7 to 12; free for ages 6 and under. Admission that includes boarding of boats is $25; $15 for ages 7 to 12; free for ages 6 and under. 10am to 6pm daily.
- The Hatchling Hustle 5K at Babe’s Beach | Saturday, April 15 – With sea turle nesting season about to begin, the Turtle Island Restoration Network throws its first ever 5K and 1 mile fun run to increase awareness and take advantage of the pre-summer beach weather. 7:30am to 11am.
- Galveston’s First Death Cafe at Fisherman’s Wharf | Saturday, April 15 | FREE – Continuing a tradition that began in London 12 years, ago, the Death Cafe comes to island, welcoming anyone and everyone from all backgrounds to come together for an honest and intimate group conversation about death itself, and what it might mean for the present. 11am to 2pm.
- 24th Annual FeatherFest Birding & Nature Photography Festival in Galveston | Thursday, April 20 to Sunday, April 23 – For amateur and seasoned birding enthusiasts alike, this multi-day event leads birders through various coastal communities to see native and migratory birds throughout the Galveston region. Saturday and Sunday also include a series of kid-friendly activities throughout the Island (times and prices vary; some free). Registration is $25; activities are a separate cost. Times vary.
- Galveston ArtWalk in Downtown Galveston | Saturday, April 22 | FREE – Take to the charming streets of Downtown Galveston as galleries, artist studios, and local businesses keep their doors open late, many with entertainment or activities to activate these art spaces. 6pm to 9pm.
- The Grand Kids Festival in Downtown Galveston | Saturday, April 29 | FREE – Embrace all things “Texas Western” at this year’s edition of 1894 Grand Opera House’s annual outdoor festival focusing on children, families and folk art. 10am to 4pm
- RailFest: All Aboard Model Train Rally at Galveston Railroad Museum | Saturday, April 29 & Sunday April 30 – The biggest model train event is bursting with large sized model trains, entertainment, interactive activities, actual train rides, a vendor market and more to please railroad and train aficionados of any age. 10am to 5pm both days.
This article was sponsored by Visit Galveston. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Learn more about promoting your event or business.