Grab a ticket and some popcorn for our picks to the top games and sports events across Houston in March 2023.
This month brings a spring slate of sports action to H-Town, including high profile names in basketball, the start of the Dynamo season, a Houston bayou tradition, and a glorious Opening Day celebration at Minute Maid Park.
We’ve rounded up the top highlights of this month’s sporting schedule, but you can find more on the 365 Houston calendar.
Top 16 Sports Games in Houston This Month: March 2023
- Houston Rockets vs. Memphis Grizzlies at Toyota Center | Wednesday, March 1 – Perennial superstar hotshot Ja Morant is visiting Clutch City and he’s bringing his signature swag, along with his team of angry Grizzlies. $11 and up. 7pm.
- College Basketball: Houston Cougars vs. Wichita State at Fertitta Center | Thursday, March 2 – The No. 1 team in the nation, the Houston Cougars host their final home game of the regular season before March Madness sets in. $15 and up. 6pm.
- 23rd Annual Shriners Children’s College Classic at Minute Maid Park | Friday, March 3 to Sunday, March 5 – The Annual Astros Foundation tradition is back for its 23rd installment as Louisville, Michigan, Rice, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and TCU take the field for a nine-game tournament across the weekend. $20 and up; tickets are good for all three games that day. A 3-day pass starts at $45. 11am to 9pm.
- Houston Sabercats vs. San Diego Legion at Aveva Stadium | Sunday, March 5 – Houston’s very own rugby team looks to decimate the visiting San Diego Legion when they visit South Houston in the second game of the season. $15 and up. 2pm.
- Houston Roughnecks vs San Antonio Brahmas at TDECU Stadium | Sunday, March 5 – It’s about to be a Livestock Show & Rodeo on the TDECU field when the Roughnecks wrangle themselves up some of Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson’s Brahmas. $18 and up. 7pm.
- 51st Annual Regatta on Buffalo Bayou | Saturday, March 11 – The 8.5-mile Buffalo Bayou Partnership Regatta starts and finishes from Allen’s Landing in Downtown as part of Houston’s longstanding tradition. Open to ages 12 and up, you can race competitively or for fun, with finish line festivities like music, food and more that are open to all. Registration is $55 and up; post-race party is free. 7:30am to 2:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Boston Celtics at Toyota Center | Monday, March 13 – Jayson Tatum and the league-best Boston Celtics are in town to see what the young Rockets squad can do. $25 and up. 7pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers at Toyota Center | Wednesday, March 15 – As the season starts to wind down, the Rockets will host a Lakers squad desperate to make the playoffs. Slated to appear is NBA All-Time Scoring Leader LeBron James and Anthony Davis (appearances subject to change). $48 and up. 7pm.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs Austin FC at Shell Energy Stadium | Saturday, March 18 – After kicking off a new season on the road, the Dynamo face nearby rivals for a home opener to the 2023 MLS season. $25 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs Golden State Warriors at Toyota Center | Monday, March 20 – Steph Curry looks to return with a Warriors squad looking to solidify their place in the standings as the playoff window nears. $29 and up. 7pm.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs New York City FC at Shell Energy Stadium | Saturday, March 25 – The Dynamo offer a Southern welcome to the yanks from up north when they visit for a Saturday night game. $20 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Sabercats vs Rugby ATL at Aveva Stadium | Saturday, March 25 – The rugby season keeps rolling when the Sabercats host an Atlanta squad in South Houston. $15 and up. 7pm.
- Houston Dash vs. Racing Louisville at Shell Energy Stadium | Sunday, March 26 – The Dash return for the season opener of the 2023 NWSL season, bolstered by the returns of Sophie Schmidt, Ebony Salmon and Jane Campbell alongside new signings in forward Diana Ordóñez and defender Courtney Peterson. $10 and up. 6pm.
- 46th Annual McDonald’s All American Games at Toyota Center | Tuesday, March 28 – The 46th edition of this basketball showcase heads to Clutch City, offering a look at elite high school basketball talent and future NBA prospects, including Bronny James, son of LeBron James. $43 and up. 5:30pm.
- Houston Hoops House at Bayou Music Center | Wednesday, March 29 to Friday, March 31 – In the lead up to the Final Four, Bayou Music Center becomes the Hoops House for three days of riveting basketball competitions, where the future stars of the courts display their prowess on the court. The trio of nationally televised events begins with the new College Team Skills & 3X3U Championships on Wednesday, followed by the College Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships main event on Thursday, and wrapping up with the High School Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships on Friday. $20 and up. Times vary.
- Opening Day & Weekend: Houston Astros vs. Chicago White Sox at Minute Maid Park | Thursday, March 30 to Sunday, April 2 – Bow down, the Astros Dynasty are #Ready2Reign will be kicking off the Opening Day fun with a World Series celebration as the White Sox look on. Tickets are $130 and up for Opening Day; prices vary for all other games. Times vary.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).