Get your Rodeo plans in order with 10 ways to get Rodeo ready in Houston, this week from Saturday, February 11 to Saturday, February 25, 2023.
Once again, the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo makes a triumphant return to H-Town for the second consecutive year in a row, offering three weeks of wild west delights, delicious foods and huge headlining concerts.
But before it kicks off officially on Tuesday, February 28, 2023, you can indulge in all the pre-Rodeo fun that gets rolling this week.
We’ve gathered 10 ways for you to get Rodeo ready with parades, markets, food events and more.
Still looking to snag a seat for a Rodeo concert this season? Check out our guide to Rodeo Concerts at the 2023 Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
10 Ways to Get Rodeo Ready in Houston
- Tidbits Rodeo Market at M-K-T in the Heights | Saturday, February 11 – Get yourself rodeo ready at this local pop-up market off Shepherd Drive in the Heights. Stroll vendors to pick up boots, apparel, jewelry, art and Texas gifts that will have you looking your best when the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo returns at the end of the month. $5 and up. 10am to 4pm.
- Black Cowboy Legacy Rodeo at George Ranch Historical Park | Saturday, February 11 – The 4th annual Black Cowboy Legacy Rodeo spotlights four generations of Black cowboys who worked alongside four generations of the George family, leaving behind a rich legacy of Black cowboy heritage that is unique to this part of Texas. Expect live entertainment, kids’ activities, food vendors, and rodeo competitions. $20 and up; $10 for ages 4 to 12. 4pm to 10pm.
- Rodeo Clown Roundup 2023 at Karbach Brewing Company | Sunday, February 19 – Join the crowds at Karbach for a rodeo kickoff at the biergarten, with music from Shane Smith & the Saints, the Steeldrivers and Zac Wilkerson. Enjoy plenty of tasty brews and on-site eats. $30 in advance. 4pm to 9pm.
- Houston Rodeo Roundup & Best Bites Competition at NRG Center | Sunday, February 19 – Before the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo takes over town, the Roundup & Best Bites Competition brings foodies and wine enthusiasts together for one of the largest gourmet food events in the world. Over 450 award-winning wines and more than 100 signature dishes will be on display, plus guests can chat with chefs and winery representatives while helping decide who takes home the People’s Choice Award. Tickets start at $165 for individuals, with tables available. 6:30pm.
- World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest at NRG Park | Thursday, February 23 to Saturday, February 25 – Kicking off the rodeo every year is an epic bbq weekend—the World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest. More than 250 teams of barbecue enthusiasts will compete for the title, and while most team tents are invitation-only, visitors can join in on the fun at several public venues, including the carnival, the Garden, Rockin’ Bar-B-Que Saloon and the Chuckwagon. $20; $10 for ages 3 to 12, includes a complimentary sliced brisket plate with chips and beans. Times vary.
- Rodeo Packages at Blossom Hotel Houston | Thursday, February 23 to Sunday, March 19 – Lock in your Rodeo plan with a nearby stay at the Blossom Hotel, just minutes away from all the action at NRG Park. The upscale boutique hotel offers luxury accommodations, complimentary self parking, a $20 Lyft credit for travel to the Rodeo and back, and two complimentary cocktails at Blossom’s Rendezvous Lobby Lounge. Pricing varies by date.
- Go Texan Day around Houston | Friday, February 24 | FREE – The annual city-wide celebration returns to H-Town, inviting all Houstonians to don their best cowboy, western and Texan duds for the unofficial kickoff to Rodeo season—all day long.
- Rodeo Roundup at Houston City Hall | Friday, February 24 | FREE – The traditional event kicks off Go Texan Day, with a proclamation by Mayor Sylvester Turner, free chopped barbecue sandwiches, live music, and more. 11am to 1pm.
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo presents Rodeo Run in Downtown | Saturday, February 25 – Just before the annual Rodeo Parade heads through the streets of Downtown, hundreds of runners will pound the pavement for one of the official kick-offs to Houston’s biggest annual event. The morning’s run includes a wheelchair race, 5k and 10K, then timed race events. $35 and up. 9am.
- Houston Rodeo: Rodeo Parade in Downtown | Saturday, February 25 | FREE – Though the Trail Riders mosey in on Friday, you can be sure to catch the decorative floats, and men and women on horseback that fill the Downtown streets for the unofficial start of Rodeo season. The parade route begins at Bagby and Walker Streets, before traveling down stretches of Travis, Bell, Louisiana and Lamar. 10am to 2pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).