Dig into virtual and live book events, the latest appearances by authors, and more with our roundup of book and literary events taking place in Houston in February 2023.
From book sales to book blind dates, this month’s literary events showcase the serious and the whimsical in the world of reading and letters.
Acclaimed authors are in the city to sign their latest, and Houston’s literary and arts organizations come together for some original programming around books.
Here’s the scoop on what’s happening across the Bayou City this month:
Top 10 Book & Author Events in Houston: February 2023
- Friends of First Colony Library Book Sale in Sugar Land | Saturday, February 4 | No Cover – Book lovers won’t want to miss this sale in benefit of the First Colony branch library. Fiction, nonfiction, CDs, DVDs, and more will be available, and proceeds will be used for youth and young adult programs at the library. Cash and check only; credit cards not accepted. 9am to 2pm.
- Kids’ Book Fair at the Steve Radack Community Center | Saturday, February 4 | FREE – There are books for early readers, pre-teens and teens at this West Houston event, which also includes fun craft activities. Free with registration. Noon to 2:30pm.
- Read Like A Writer at Writespace at Silver Street Studios | Saturday, February 4 – Registrants for this in-depth class will receive a PDF copy of Benjamin Percy’s Refresh, Refresh. Prize-winning author Patrick Stockwell will then lead them through a discussion of the work and the craft of writing, designed to help writers gain a deeper understanding of structure and more. $70. 2pm to 4pm.
- Andrea Bauer at the Woodlands Children’s Museum | Friday, February 10 – The author will read from her picture book Tino Valentino: The Tale of a Puppy Dog With No Tail. Following the reading, she’ll sell and sign copies of her book. Program is included with general admission; $8 for ages 1 and up. 11am to 12:15pm.
- Blind Date With A Book at the West University Library | Valentine’s Day, Tuesday, February 14 | FREE – The library offers a creative way to matchmake books and book lovers on Valentine’s Day. Books are wrapped with only their genre and a brief description available, then readers can select whichever strikes their fancy. There’s no pressure if it’s not the best match; return the book and choose another. A Harris County Public Library card will be needed in order to check out books (learn how to get one here). 2pm to 6pm.
- Shannon Sarna in Conversation: Modern Jewish Comfort Food at the Evelyn R. Rubenstein Jewish Community Center | Thursday, February 16 – The author of Modern Jewish Comfort Food discusses her take on classic dishes in this DIY class where you’ll make your own knish. This will be followed by a reception where you’ll enjoy coffee and one of Shannon’s desserts. $19. 7:30pm.
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni at Brazos Bookstore | Thursday, February 23 | No Cover – The acclaimed author discusses her latest historical fiction novel, Independence. Set against the dramatic events of the partition of India, it’s the story of sisterhood and friendship, and an account of India’s independence. In order to have a book signed by the author, it must be purchased from the bookstore. Free to attend; $28.99 for the book. 6:30pm.
- WindSync presents Interstellar Cinderella at Brazos Bookstore | Saturday, February 25 – The chamber ensemble adds its signature playing to this fresh take on a timeless story, wherein Cinderella, with the help of her fairy godbot, attends the ball on the prince’s starship. $25 per family; includes a copy of the book and a donation to WindSync. 10:30am.
- Michelle Hillen Klump: Murder Served Neat at Murder by the Book | Saturday, February 25 | No Cover – The author discusses her latest mystery novel, the second installment of her Cocktails and Catering Mystery series. Mixologist Samantha Warren finds herself embroiled in a mystery at a Fourth of July celebration. Things only get worse when her mother’s friend becomes a suspect. Free to attend; $29.99 for the book. 3pm.
- Inprint Houston presents True Life: A Celebration of Poet Adam Zagajewski at Menil Collection | Monday, February 27 – Inprint and musicians from DaCamera join forces at this event that celebrates the life and work of the Polish poet, known for his insightful and quietly radiant poems. $40. 7:30pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).