Make the most of your week with our top festivals, events, and things to do this week in Houston from Monday, January 2 to Sunday, January 8, 2023.
We’ve whittled down all the happenings in H-Town to our 15 picks for the week, but you can always check out the extended calendar for more things to do in Houston.
Scroll below to find great things happening in Houston from Monday, January 2 to Sunday, January 8, 2023.
Top 15 Festivals, Events & Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks at Toyota Center | Monday, January 2 – Don’t miss your final chance this season to see MVP candidate Luka Doncic and the Dallas Mavs when they make one last stop in Houston. $19 and up. 7pm.
- Broadway Across America presents Pretty Woman at Hobby Center | Tuesday, January 3 to Sunday, January 8 – The 1990s rom-com movie gets a Broadway makeover in this feel-good show based on a book from the film’s legendary director Garry Marshall. $35 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Basics Houston Fun Shops at Children’s Museum Houston | Thursday, January 5 | FREE – This first of five free workshops from Houston Health Department invites parents to learn how to build an early foundation for their children to be able to read, speak, solve problems, do well in school and have positive relationships later in life. This night’s bilingual workshop is about helping to strengthen emotional health and cope with stress to provide a loving and safe environment for your child. 5:30pm to 6:30pm.
- An Evening with Ottmar Liebert and Luna Negra at House of Blues | Thursday, January 5 – The five-time Grammy nominee and part-time zen monk, Ottmar Liebert, will be back in town at HOB with his band Luna Negra to perform an intimate and sultry set of what Liebert calls “nouveau flamenco.” $20 and up. 7pm.
- Magical Winter Lights Closing Weekend at Houston Raceway Park | Thursday, January 5 to Saturday, January 7 – Catch the final days of the spectacular holiday attraction decked out in more than 6 million lights across seven dazzling themed displays, held in Baytown’s Houston Raceway Park. $25; $17 for ages 3 to 12 (additional fees for circus and carnival admissions). Times vary.
- If It Don’t Feel Like ’90s: R&B HTX Edition at House of Blues | Friday, January 6 – Vibe to music from Brandy, Boys 2 Men, Monica and more at this ’90s R&B party at House of Blues. $25 and up. 9pm to 2am.
- The Riot presents Cipha Sounds at Rudyard’s Pub | Friday, January 6 & Saturday, January 7 – On back-to-back nights, the comic featured on Chappelle’s Show, TruTV’s Laff Tracks and as an MTV VJ takes the upstairs stage at Rudz for four shows of laughter. $17 and up. 7pm and 9pm.
- 6th Annual Fade to Black Reading Series at MATCH | Friday, January 6 to Sunday, January 8 – Returning for its sixth year, this festival celebrates new plays by Black playwrights, where you can be among the first to hear these new works. $25 in advance, $35 at the door. Times vary.
- Houston Symphony presents The Music of Elton John & Billy Joel at Jones Hall | Friday, January 6 to Sunday, January 8 – The piano and vocal virtuoso Michael Cavanaugh—who was handpicked by Billy Joel to recreate the Broadway musical Movin’ Out—puts his talent and performing prowess on display in Downtown Houston, playing the hits from two iconic rock legends, Billy Joel and Elton John. $39 and up. Times vary.
- Japan Junction: Oshogatsu 2023 at Levy Park | Saturday, January 7 | FREE – Usher in the Year of the Rabbit early when Japan America Society of Houston hosts this afternoon celebration that teaches Kakizome (the first Japanese calligraphy of the year), and lets kids play traditional Japanese new year games, make a daruma goal-setting doll, and pound mochi. 11am to 2pm.
- 14th Annual BowiElvis Fest at the Continental Club | Saturday, January 7 – This annual festival returns to Mid-Main, honoring two music legends with a shared birthday; David Bowie and Elvis Presley. Catch tribute tunes from bands across multiple stages, face painting, Bowie and Elvis games, a costume contest, prizes and more. $25 and up. 6:30pm.
- Future & Friends in Concert at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 7 – Pioneer of the melodic trap rap style and everybody’s favorite feature, Future is bringing the party to H-Town on his One Big Party tour with friends Trippie Redd, EST Gee, Boston Richie, and more. $55 and up. 7pm.
- Stargazing Saturdays at the George Observatory | Saturday, January 7 – Make your way to the upper deck of the George Observatory in Brazos Bend State Park for a night of stargazing with the pros. Amateur astronomers will guide you along the way to see night sky constellations, planets in our solar system and deep sky objects out in space. $10 (must be purchased online). 7pm to 10pm.
- Bowie All Night at Numbers Nightclub | Saturday, January 7 – The Montrose nightclub spins Bowie music all night long to celebrate the Thin White Duke’s birthday, along with visuals guaranteed to have you dancing. Cover charge at the door. 9pm to 2am.
- Art Car IPA 5K at Flying Saucer Downtown | Sunday, January 8 – Begin your Sunday with a 3.5-mile run, culminating in brews and a breakfast courtesy of Texas Tamale Company. $35. 8am to 11am.
Many More Things to Do in Houston
- Top Concerts & Live Shows This Week – Check out our top picks for local and touring musicians, stars, and personalities hitting the stage in H-Town this week.
- Top Games & Sports Events This Week – Scope out professional and select college sports games, touring athletic competitions, local fitness and participatory events, and more.
- Top Things to Do For Kids & Families This Week – Zero in on the best option for families and the junior set around Greater Houston.
- Current Temporary Museum Exhibits & Art Installations in Greater Houston – Explore the newest installations and exhibits on short term display at museums and locations around Houston, with a focus on art, history, and science.
- More Options on Our Calendar – Explore more live entertainment, events, pop-ups, markets, and other options around Houston.
Save on Houston Museum & Brewery Passes
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).