Make the most of this magical season with the best kid-friendly things to do in and around Houston in December 2022.
This month, hop aboard a fun train ride through a gingerbread village, watch decked out boats float by in a holiday tradition, light up the menorah on the first night of Chanukah, and have a whole lot more fun throughout this holiday season.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 12 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Month: December 2022
- Zoo Lights: Sensory Friendly Night at Houston Zoo | Monday, December 5 – For this Zoo Lights night, guests can expect a smaller crowd, quieter music, limited flashing lights, and designated quiet areas. $22.50 and up. 5:30pm to 10:30pm.
- Train Rides at City Place | Thursday, December 8 | FREE – Children are encouraged to climb aboard for a free train ride around the gingerbread village while families can enjoy complimentary hot chocolate at City Place in Spring. 4pm to 7pm.
- Candlelight Christmas at Washington on the Brazos | Friday, December 9 & Saturday, December 10 – Across two nights, guests will discover the origins of many beloved Holiday traditions as costumed interpreters bring to life the festivities of the season with musket-fire, music, dancing and more. $10; $5 for ages 6 to 18. 4:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Breakfast with Santa at the Westin Houston Memorial City | Saturday, December 10 & Saturday, December 17 – Enjoy a breakfast buffet, photos with Santa, crafts and more at the Memorial City outpost of Westin hotels. $42 for ages 13 and up; $24 for ages 12 and under. Seatings at 8am and 10am.
- Human Rights Day at Holocaust Museum Houston | Saturday, December 10 | FREE – In honor of the global Human Rights Day, HMH opens their doors to the public with a day of programming, including arts and crafts, bilingual story times, a Survivor Talk with Dr. Anna Steinberger, a children’s magic show, and more. Plus, stop by from 10am to 1pm and you can see and take a photo with the Astros’ World Series trophy. Free with ticket registration. 10am to 5pm.
- 61st Annual Boat Parade at Kemah Boardwalk | Saturday, December 10 | FREE – More than 60 brightly decorated watercraft and sailboats glide on the water from the South Shore Harbour Marina down to Galveston Bay. 7:30pm.
- Ian Moore’s Acoustic Family Christmas Show at Main Street Crossing | Monday, December 12 – The Texas singer-songwriter brings his annual acoustic Christmas tour through Tomball for a show sure to entertain. $33. 8pm.
- Storybook Theatre presents I Have a Little Dreidel at the Woodlands Children’s Museum | Friday, December 16 – Gather around to hear I Have a Little Dreidel by Maxie Baum. This story is based on the classic Hanukkah song and highlights the family celebrations and traditions of the holiday. $7.50 for ages 1 and up. 11am.
- Santa Hustle 5K, Half Marathon & Kids Dash in Galveston | Sunday, December 18 – Galveston Island’s beloved holiday tradition returns, with runners dressed as Santa Claus running along the beach, up and down Seawall Boulevard in a 5K, half marathon, and kids dash. There will be cookie and candy stations along the route, with the traditional water stations. Registration starts at $54.99 for the 5K; $74.99 for the half marathon; $10 for the Kids Dash. 7:30am to 11am.
- Menorah Lighting at Sugar Land Town Square | Sunday, December 18 | FREE – Chabad of Sugar Land is ready to celebrate Chanukah, and you’re invited for a evening of entertainment. There is plenty of fun to be had for the whole family with bounce houses, face painting, delicious donuts, music, dancing, and more. Following the fun, the menorah will be lit at 5:30pm. 4pm to 6pm.
- Santa’s Jolly Visit at Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center | Christmas Eve, Saturday, December 24 – Get your last minute wishes in to Jolly Ole Saint Nick before he sets out across the world. Bring your best behavior and a camera to snap a pic before you rush home to set the cookies out. $15 for ages 1 and up. 10am to 2pm.
- Noon Years Eve at CityCentre | New Year’s Eve, Saturday, December 31 | FREE – Welcome in the new year family-style in the afternoon at CityCentre in Memorial. Start the party with a kids dance and DJ, and ring in the New Year with bubbles. Enjoy face painting, temporary tattoos, balloons, caricature artists, and capture the fun with Lucky Shots’ magic mirror photo booth. 11am to 1pm.
More Holiday Attractions & Things to Do
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).