Discover great ways to spend family time with the best kid-friendly things to do from Monday, December 5 to Sunday, December 11, 2022.
This week, discover a festive Harry Potter Yule Ball, catch free outdoor film screenings, celebrate the holidays German style, explore the world of Islamic art, and more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 12 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Week
- Harry Potter: A Yule Ball Celebration at Paraiso Maravilla | Daily – Immerse yourself in a whimsical wintertime ball honoring the iconic Triwizard tradition, complete with amazing performances, photo ops, themed food and drink to purchase, dancing, and more. Costumes and/or cocktail attire encouraged. Ages 6 to 12 are welcome during Saturday and Sunday family sessions; 12 and up allowed at all times. Tickets start at $59; $49 for ages 12 to 17. Times vary.
- Train Rides at City Place | Thursday, December 8 | FREE – Children are encouraged to climb aboard for a free train ride around the gingerbread village while families can enjoy complimentary hot chocolate at City Place in Spring. 4pm to 7pm.
- Segundo Barrio Children’s Chorus at Children’s Museum Houston | Thursday, December 8 | FREE – Houston’s own bilingual choir, Segundo Barrio Children’s Chorus, performs live in the Museum District. 6:30pm.
- Holiday Flick & Float: Elf at Conroe Aquatic Center | Friday, December 9 – Relax in the pool while you watch the holiday classic starring Will Ferrel, Elf, on the big screen. $5. 6:30pm.
- Candlelight Christmas at Washington on the Brazos | Friday, December 9 & Saturday, December 10 – Across two nights, guests will discover the origins of many beloved Holiday traditions as costumed interpreters bring to life the festivities of the season with musket-fire, music, dancing and more. $10; $5 for ages 6 to 18. 4:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Tomball German Festival Christmas Market at Tomball Depot | Friday, December 9 to Sunday, December 11 | FREE – Do as the Germans do and celebrate Christmas with plenty of food, beer, and wine, as well as live music on three stages, a petting zoo, and a holiday market featuring more than 150 vendors with antiques, arts and crafts, souvenirs, and more. Times vary.
- 3rd Annual Winter Festival at Urban Harvest Farmers Market | Saturday, December 10 | FREE – Houston’s popular Saturday morning farmers market offers a series of holiday-themed goods, music and more. Come out and support local growers and producers and get into the holiday mood. 8am to noon; Santa Claus and complimentary cookie-decorating from 9am to 11am.
- Tissue Paper Stained Glass: Family Art Workshops at Discovery Green | Saturday, December 10 | FREE – Create a tissue paper-stained “glass” craft inspired by the different colors of the sunlight featured in the Solstice installation at Discovery Green. 1pm to 2:30pm.
- 2022 Lights in the Heights at Woodland Heights | Saturday, December 10 | FREE – Stroll through the beautifully decorated streets of Woodlands Heights during one of Houston’s biggest holiday events. Every year, the neighborhood streets are closed off, allowing pedestrians to roam freely as they admire the gorgeous homes, which host private parties that sometimes feature musical performances on the porch. Free, but some porch parties and performances are open only to residents of Woodland Heights. 6pm to 8pm.
- Reptilian Nation Expo at NRG Center | Saturday, December 10 & Sunday, December 11 – Check out thousands of reptiles, amphibians and arachnids on display, purchase supplies from vendors and catch live demonstrations at this weekend expo. $10 and up. Times vary.
- 9th Annual Islamic Arts Festival at Masjid Al-Salam | Saturday & Sunday | FREE – Look for live calligraphy demonstrations, henna tattoo, painting, Arabesque pattern coloring and children’s activities, in addition to a wide selection of featured artists and their art from across the country at this annual festival. 10:30am to 5pm.
- Sunday Funday: Hygge for the Holidays at M-K-T | Sunday, December 11 | FREE – M-K-T in the Heights celebrates the season in the Hygge way with a special event that brings together comfy, chill vibes at a free Sunday Funday celebration featuring live local music by The Birthday Club and Sergio Trevino, special goodies at participating M-K-T stores and pop-ups offering unique custom products, stocking stuffers, holiday items, gifts, and more. Noon to 4pm.
More Holiday Attractions & Things to Do
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).