Discover great ways to spend family time with the best kid-friendly things to do from Monday, November 28 to Sunday, December 4, 2022.
This week, check out plenty of free events around town, catch a beloved play in Galveston, watch a shadow puppet come to life, play in the snow, pace yourself in a Charlie Brown–themed run, and more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 15 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Week
- 2022 Galaxy Lights at Space Center Houston | Daily – Galaxy Lights returns this year with a stellar spectacle that twinkles throughout the campus, allowing visitors to step through space-themed light installations, take in high-tech experiences, and walk among flown spacecraft in a one-of-a-kind holiday event that can only be found in Space City. On view through New Year’s Day, Sunday, January 1, 2023. $19.95 and up; free for ages 3 and under. Combo tickets that offer admission to the Space Center exhibits are also available. 6pm to 10pm.
- Junie B’s Essential Survival Guide at the Grand 1894 Opera House | Tuesday, November 29 – Bring the kids to watch a production of Junie B’s Essential Survival Guide at the Grand 1894 Opera House in Galveston. From bus rules and Band-Aids to carpools and cookies, Junie B. and friends deliver the definitive word on surviving and thriving in style. $10; $6 for kids (no age specified). 10am.
- Shadow Puppet Theatre presents The Very Snowy Christmas at the Woodlands Children’s Museum | Thursday, December 1 – See a shadow puppet performance of The Very Snowy Christmas by Diana Hendry at the Woodlands Children’s Museum. Little Mouse worries that the sky “is coming undone” when he sees big white flakes falling down, but Big Mouse helps him discover the magic of snow and the holiday season. $7.50 for ages 1 and up. 11am.
- Energy Corridor’s 2nd Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony at Hyatt Regency Houston West | Thursday, December 1 | FREE – Oh come all ye Christmas lovers to the annual tree lighting event that features the district’s 50-foot tree powered with renewable energy. It will also kick off the District’s 12 Days of Christmas donations and feature Santa Claus photo ops, plus more than 20 local vendors offering hand-crafted, unique gifts and goodies along Candy Cane Lane. 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Holly Jolly Jingle at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Thursday, December 1 | FREE – The outdoor venue in the Woodlands presents a musical holiday program featuring student musicians from Conroe ISD performing holiday jingles and Christmas carols around the plaza. 7pm.
- Holiday Delights 2022: A Texas-Sized Christmas at the Bryan Museum | Friday, December 2 | FREE – The Holiday Delights 2022 event will include activities like pictures with and letters to Santa, a petting zoo, an elf hunt, food trucks, crafts, music, a Christmas tree lighting, and even some snow. Includes admission to the museum. 4pm to 7pm.
- WinterFest at Galveston County Fair & Rodeo | Friday, December 2 & Saturday, December 3 | FREE – The family-friendly WinterFest will feature a gingerbread house contest, the Christmas pajama fun run, a holiday market, and more at Galveston County Fairgrounds. Friday 5pm to 9pm; Saturday 10am to 4pm.
- 49th Annual Dickens on the Strand in Downtown Galveston | Friday, December 2 to Sunday, December 4 – The holiday tradition returns with family programming, live entertainment, special events and more. The weekend festival features parades, non-stop entertainment on four stages, new additions like Tiny Tim’s Play Land, Shopkeeper Skills Village, and roaming characters throughout the festival. Free on Friday evening. Saturday and Sunday tickets are $18; $13 for ages 7 to 12. VIP options are $75; $30 for ages 7 to 12. Times vary.
- 13th Annual Trafigura Run for the House at Sam Houston Park | Saturday, December 3 – Kicking off in Downtown, this annual 5K and 10K run helps to raise money and awareness for the Ronald McDonald House of Houston. $40; $20 for ages 7 and under. 8am.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas 5K Run/Walk at Addicks Park & Ride | Saturday, December 3 – Get the whole family together and get your holiday season started in a fun way with this inaugural 5K; beginning with a Snoopy Kids dash for kiddos 12 and under, and the 5k to follow. All participants will receive a Peanuts finisher medal, and can stick around for a post-race party and visits with Santa. Registration starts at $44.95; $34.95 for the Snoopy Dash. 8am to 10:30am.
- Christmas in the Square at Sugar Land Town Square | Saturday, December 3 | FREE – Enjoy a day of ice skating, food and drinks from Town Square restaurants and appearances by the Grinch, Cindy Lou Who and Mrs. Claus. There will also be the pop-up Boho Market, a special dance performance, live music, and—if rumors are to be believed—snow. 11am to 4pm.
- Mayor’s Holiday Spectacular at City Hall | Saturday, December 3 | FREE – Join Mayor Sylvester Turner at City Hall for Houston’s annual holiday extravaganza, which features live entertainment (including a headlining performance by Gloria Gaynor), fireworks, a tree lighting, a visit from Santa and other family-friendly activities. 5pm.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas Movie Screening at Moody Center for the Arts | Saturday, December 3 | FREE – Rice University’s Moody Center hosts a family-friendly, outdoor screening of Tim Burton’s holiday classic The Nightmare Before Christmas. 6pm to 8pm.
- 2022 Holiday Festival at Levy Park | Saturday, December 3 & Sunday, December 4 | FREE – This 2-day festival returns to Levy Park, offering plenty of family fun with a holiday market, crafts station, live music performances, a free photo booth with Santa, and more. Noon to 5pm.
- Santa Cares Day at First Colony Mall | Sunday, December 4 – Children within all spectrums of special needs and their families are welcome to a sensory-friendly visit for photos with Santa at First Colony Mall. Reservations required. 9am to 10am.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).