Ease into the spirit of the season with the best kid-friendly things to do from Monday, November 14 to Sunday, November 20, 2022.
This week, take a glide around the ice rink, catch classic movies outdoors, celebrate a beloved Elf, stroll the opening of twinkling light spectacles, and more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 15 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Week
- Cheap Skate Night at Discovery Green | Monday, November 14 – Glide around the Ice at Discovery Green on its first Cheap Skate night of the season, held on select Mondays. $8 (includes skate rental). 5pm to 10pm.
- Wellness in Houston at Children’s Museum Houston | Thursday, November 17 | FREE – Prairie View A&M’s Wellness in Houston program offers a night of hands-on cooking demos through the “Taste of Latin Heritage” night, which shows families how to prepare and eat food healthfully and traditionally. 5pm to 8pm.
- Photos with Santa at Market Street | Friday, November 18 – In a soft opening at Market Street in the Woodlands, kiddos can have their photos taken with jolly ol’ St. Nick, through Christmas Eve, Saturday, December 24. $35 to $40; reservations requierd. 1pm to 7pm.
- Zoo Lights Opening Day at Houston Zoo | Friday, November 18 – Be among the first to enjoy the return of the zoo’s popular twinkling installation as it officially opens for the holiday season. Take strolls through the zoo after dark, and see the ways it’s transformed with themed sections, partial access to animal displays, and wintery concessions. Open through Sunday, January 8, 2023. Prices vary by date, typically starting at $20 and higher. Advance tickets required; none will be sold at gate. 5:30pm to 10:30pm.
- The World’s Biggest Bounce House at Katy Mills Mall | Friday, November 18 to Sunday, November 20 – The world’s largest touring inflatable event comes to Katy, offering an action-packed day out that’s suitable for all ages. From a toddler-friendly bounce house and a giant obstacle course to a competitive sports arena and more, the Big Bounce features a hopping good time on a ticket good for three hours of bouncing entertainment. $22 and up; ticket price varies by age group. Times vary.
- Magical Winter Lights at Sam Houston Raceway | Friday, November 18 to Sunday, November 20 | Opening Weekend – Get into the holiday spirit with these seven illuminated displays featuring more than six million lights in Baytown. Walk through a winter circus, grub on festival foods and more. This event is ongoing through Saturday, January 7, 2023. $25; $17 for ages 3 to 12 and 65+. Times vary.
- Sugar Land Holiday Lights Opening Weekend at Constellation Field | Friday, November 18 to Sunday, November 20 – Sugar Land’s annual lights installation turns Constellation Field into a sparkling wonderland with more than 3 million lights, a carnival, Santa Claus, a new 40-foot-tall lit tree, themed displays, a holiday market, and more. $15; $12 for ages 4 to 12 and 55+. Friday and Saturday 6pm to 10pm, Sunday 6pm to 9pm.
- Bubble Science at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center | Saturday, November 19 – Discover the magic of nature’s bubbles while creating your own bubbly fun at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center. This event is ideal for ages 2 to 5. $12. 10am to 11am.
- 40th Annual Lighting of the Doves at Town Green Park | Saturday, November 19 | FREE – Start the holiday season at this annual event in the Woodlands with balloon art, face painting, snow play areas and snow slides, live entertainment on two stages, and more. The Big Guy himself, Santa Claus, will make an appearance, arriving by sleigh down the Woodlands Waterway to end the evening with a dazzling fireworks display. 3pm to 8pm.
- Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory Movie Screening at Sugar Land Town Square | Saturday, November 19 | FREE – Experience the 1971 film classic starring Gene Wilder, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, at Sugar Land Town Square. Candy-themed decorations and a Wonka boat will be on-site, making for great photo ops. 7pm to 8:30pm.
- LifeGift 2nd Chance Run at Minute Maid Park | Sunday, November 20 – This 5k walk and run honors organ, eye and tissue donors and their recipients. It starts at Minute Maid Park and runs through Downtown. $30; $25 for ages 12 and under. 7am.
- Wonderful Indonesia Festival at Sugar Land Town Square | Sunday, November 20 | FREE – The Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia presents this day-long celebration of Indonesian culture. Look for food, colorful crafts, a fashion show, music and more. 11am to 4pm.
- Family Day at Rienzi & Bayou Bend | Sunday, November 20 | FREE – Visit the two MFAH house museums—Rienzi and Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens—for an afternoon of free, family-friendly programs. Visitors can park at Bayou Bend and take the complimentary shuttle between locations. 1pm to 5pm.
- 2022 Houston Women’s Polo Championship at Houston Polo Club | Sunday, November 20 – Take in the final polo match of the fall season when the top two teams of the largest women’s tournament in the country square off on the pitch. $35; $15.50 for ages 12 and under. 1:30pm.
- Elf Movie Party at Alamo Drafthouse | Sunday, November 20 – The Katy location shows the much-loved Will Ferrell film that’s become a Christmas classic. In addition to the screening, fans can take in an interactive holiday spectacular with games, props and singalongs. $15.15 and up. 5pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).