In our My Top 5 series, we turn to the Houstonians who create and shape Houston’s character and ask them to share their own favorite things that make H-Town home. This week, we’re delighted to feature lifelong Houstonian and visual artist Nicky Davis.
You can find Davis as one of the featured artists participating in a live paint battle at Secret Walls’ Support Your Local Artist (SYLA) Tour in Houston at Karbach Brewing Company on Wednesday, August 31, 2022.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston: Nicky Davis
- Houston Graffiti Park – This is the number one destination I would tell anyone visiting Houston to go. Its not like a real business or even a managed place, but it is where Houston muralists and graffiti artists go to show their skills and its just beautiful. Several city blocks covered in art for your viewing and selfie pleasure. Totally free, and when you are done looking at art there are some cool bars, breweries and restaurants nearby.
- Hit up a brewery tour – I’m a huge beer snob, and Houston has some great breweries for you to try out. Astral Brewing makes my favorite Hazy beers in Houston. I don’t know how they do it, but every beer they make is the best beer I’ve ever had. If you like hazy and hoppy check them out. We bring board games and hang out here as often as we can. Another great brewery I love to go to is Great Heights Brewing. Really good beer and a cool neighborhood vibe. Finally, I’d recommend Saint Arnold if you want to hang out in the nicest beer garden in town. Huge outdoor space with great food. Saint Arnold’s also has a lot of murals painted on their distribution warehouses nearby, so be sure to check out the art!
- Brasil Café – I’ve been drinking coffee at Brasil since I was old enough to drive. This is my favorite place to bring a sketch book, get a coffee and some great food and just draw. They also own the art gallery next door and throw some rad shows. Try to catch one of their movie nights if you can.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston – This museum is huge! They bring in some great shows and recently expanded into a whole new building that has these amazing light installations (the yellow hall will freak you out when you realize what’s happening). I also bring my sketch book here and sit and draw.
- White Oak Music Hall – Live music in Houston is pretty great. We get a lot of bands coming through and White Oak has been the best venue since Fitzgeralds closed down. Look for a show on their lawn or any of their indoor stages for a fun night. Be sure to hit Raven Tower next door for pre-gaming (and more cool murals).
About Nicky Davis
Nicky Davis is a visual artist living and working in Houston, Texas. His illustrative style is consistent across a diverse range of mediums, including: Designer Toys, Murals, Fine art, NFTs and Merchandise (www.nickydavis.com). His work has been included in gallery exhibitions worldwide and his murals have been featured by numerous festivals such as: Pow Wow Worldwide, Wild West Mural Fest, IllFest, HUE Mural Festival, and more. As a lifelong Houstonian, Nicky’s goal is to bring large scale colorful murals to the streets of his city.