Get out of the house as a family and find the best kid-friendly things to do in and around Houston this week from Monday, August 30 to Sunday, September 4, 2022.
This week, see amazing chalk transformations on the sidewalk, celebrate the arrival of the fall season, kiss summer goodbye at Labor Day celebrations, and more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 12 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Week
- Farewell to Summer at Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center | Tuesday, August 30 to Saturday, September 3 – Wave goodbye to summer all week long with fun activities like exploring Matisse’s torn paper techniques, crafting paper plate masks that transform you into dinos, and more. $15 for ages 1 and up. 10am to 6pm.
- Shadow Puppet Theatre presents Chicka Chicka Boom Boom at The Woodlands Children’s Museum | Thursday, September 1 – Give kiddos a unique performance of the classic children’s book, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom at this Thursday morning museum activity in the Woodlands. $7.50 for ages 1 and up. 11am.
- L’chayim: Bringing Sacred Objects to Life through Song at Museum of Fine Arts, Houston | Thursday, September 1 | FREE – In conjunction with MFAH’s latest exhibition, Beauty and Ritual: Judaica from the Jewish Museum, New York, this musical program explores the themes of the exhibition, including the Torah and learning; the restful and radiant time of Shabbat; and the light inspired by Chanukah. Museum admission is free on Thursdays. 7pm to 8pm.
- Chalk on the Block at Bagby Park | Saturday, September 3 | FREE – Step through a tour of Hispanic heroes and icons as chalk artists work on their creations at this monthly Midtown event. 10am to 2pm.
- The Ultimate Event 2022 at George R. Brown Convention Center | Saturday, September 3 – Car enthusiasts of all ages are welcome to this Saturday-only event that showcases 150 high-quality show cars along with live music, exhibitor booths and games. $30 and up; $15 for ages 6 to 12. 10am to 6pm.
- Mid-Autumn Festival 2022 at Asia Society Texas Center | Saturday, September 3 – Celebrate the arrival of the fall season at the Mid-Autumn Festival—also known in Asia as the Moon Festival or Lantern Festival—that welcomes the autumn harvest and full moon. The event will feature Taiwanese artists and photography, Vietnamese storytelling, and art activities that include lantern-making, paper cutting, and faux mooncakes. Free with advance RSVP. 11am to 2pm.
- Hands-On Houston: Mosaic Tiles at Houston Center for Contemporary Craft | Saturday, September 3 | FREE – Create your own mosaic tile patterns at this interactive workshop in the Museum District. 11am to 3pm.
- Art in the Park at Discovery Green | Saturday, September 3 | FREE – Students, ages 3 to 12, will create a unique art piece while building their Spanish speaking and listening skills. Space is limited. Noon to 1pm.
- Red, White & Bayou Texas Music Festival & Tailgate in Dickinson | Saturday, September 3 & Sunday, September 4 – Hang with family and friends at the 2-day Red, White, & Bayou Texas Music Festival, and enjoy live music, a kids zone, food trucks, and a market. The live music lineup includes Jake Worthington, Muscadine Bloodline, Colten Jesse, and several others. $10 and up; $10 for ages 12 and under. Times vary.
- 5th Annual Taste of the Caribbean Festival at the Crown Festival Park in Sugar Land | Sunday, September 4 – The Taste of the Caribbean Festival returns with a day celebrating delicious Caribbean food, live Caribbean music, Caribbean arts and culture, and family fun at the Crown Festival Park in Sugar Land. Performances will include live reggae, soca, salsa, reggaeton, and more musical styles. $20. 2pm to 10pm.
- Labor Day in the Woodlands at Woodlands Waterway Square | Sunday, September 4 | FREE – Enjoy the fruits of your labor at Woodlands Waterway Square with live music, children’s activities, strolling entertainers, a pie eating contest, and fireworks. 5pm to 9pm.
- Plane Amazing Labor Day at Lone Star Flight Museum | Labor Day, Monday, September 5 – The all-things-flight museum hosts a day of plane tours, flight simulators, entertainment and free hot dogs, chips and a drink. $10 admission for everyone at the door. 10am to 5pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).