Grab a ticket and some popcorn for our picks to the top games and sports events across Houston in September 2022.
The temps might be cooling, but Houston sports are heating up in September when the Texans and college football get their seasons rolling, just as the Astros, Space Cowboys, Dash and Dynamo bring theirs to a close.
We’ve rounded up the top highlights of this month’s sporting schedule, but you can find more on the 365 Houston calendar.
Top 12 Games & Sports Events This Month: September 2022
- Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels at Minute Maid Park | Friday, September 9 to Sunday, September 11 – The Astros host Shohei Ohtani and the Angels for the final time this season, across a weekend that features a Justin Verlander ’90s jersey giveaway, a Kyle Tucker bobblehead, and First Responders Day with a commemorative coin up for grabs to the first 10,000 fans. $12 and up. Times vary.
- 9/11 Heroes Run at Houston City Hall | Saturday, September 10 – Since 2007, the Travis Manion Foundation has taken to the streets in memorial of September 11 to honor the legacies of first responders and servicemembers. Registration begins at $35, with various levels of support and registration available. 8am.
- Houston Texans vs. Indianapolis Colts at NRG Stadium | Sunday, September 11 – The Texans open the 2022 NFL season at home against division rivals from Indy. $69 and up. Noon.
- Houston Dash vs. Angel City FC at PNC Stadium | Sunday, September 11 – The brand new expansion franchise out of Los Angeles makes a stop in Houston for the second-to-last home game of the year. $12 and up. 6pm.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs. New England Revolution at PNC Stadium | Tuesday, September 13 – A Revs team vying for playoff position in the East arrives in H-Town in one of the final home games of the season. $14 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Oakland Athletics at Minute Maid Park | Thursday, September 15 to Sunday, September 18 – This four-game series opens with Teacher Appreciation Night, followed by Hispanic Heritage Weekend with special jersey giveaways, fireworks, a sugar skull bobblehead, a street fest, and more. $23 and up. Times vary.
- Houston Cougars vs. Kansas Jayhawks at TDECU Stadium | Saturday, September 17 – After opening the college football season on the road, the Coogs head home for their first opponent on campus. $15 and up. 3pm.
- H. Ben Taub Memorial Cup at Houston Polo Club | Sunday, September 18 – The new polo season kicks off for the fall, featuring a world class polo match with player parade, live music, a Champagne divot stomp at halftime, and a Best Dressed Contest. $35; $15.50 for ages 12 and under. Boxes for 2 to 20 guests range from $89 to $895. 5pm.
- Sugar Land Space Cowboys vs. Albuquerque Isotopes at Constellation Field | Tuesday, September 20 to Sunday, September 25 – The Space Cowboys host their final homestand of the season when Albuquerque comes to play. Take advantage of discounted drinks, fireworks on Friday, a Lance McCullers, Jr. bobblehead giveaway and more, all week long. $7 and up. Times vary.
- Houston Cougars vs. Rice Owls at TDECU Stadium | Saturday, September 24 – The Bayou Bucket is up for grabs when these two historic rivals clash on the gridiron at the University of Houston campus. $15 and up. Time TBA.
- Houston Dash vs. OL Reign at PNC Stadium | Saturday, September 24 – The Dash’s final home game of the regular season arrives in late September, just as the squad gears up for its first ever playoff push. $12 and up. 7:30pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Arizona Diamondbacks at Minute Maid Park | Tuesday, September 27 & Wednesday, September 28 – The Astros open their final home stretch of the regular season, facing the Diamondbacks on back-to-back nights. In addition to Dollar Dog Night on Tuesday, all fans in attendance on Wednesday will receive a Yuli Gurriel AL Champion replica ring. $12 and up. 7:10pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).