Make the most of your month with our list of the 15 biggest and most notable festivals and events in Houston in August 2022.
The dog days of summer are upon us this month, but there is still much fun to be had including great concert lineups, foodie events, a long-lived competition on the beach, exciting athletic events, and more.
Events are listed chronologically by week, and are not in a ranked order. Events that span multiple weeks are carried over into the following week where appropriate.
Top 15 Festivals & Events in Houston This Month: August 2022
- Houston Restaurant Weeks at Multiple Locations | All Month Long – Houston Food Bank’s biggest fundraiser returns for another month-plus of tasty food, drink, good times and charity. As always, more than 200 local restaurants will offer prix fixe meals for brunch, lunch and dinner (and even to-go), with a set dollar donation from each meal sold benefiting the Houston Food Bank and its mission to end hunger and provide food for better lives. Brunch and lunch options are $25; dinner ranges from $39 to $55. Times vary by location.
- Comedian Kevin Hart at Toyota Center | Thursday, August 4 & Friday, August 5 – Back to the stage for his first tour in more than four years, comedian and actor Kevin Hart brings his Reality Check Tour to Downtown’s Toyota Center for back-to-back nights of brand new material and pressing thoughts for the audience. $49.50 and up. 7pm.
- Jurassic Quest at NRG Center | Thursday, August 4 to Sunday, August 7 – Walk among the nation’s biggest herd of life-size, animatronic dinosaurs when Jurassic Quest arrives at NRG Center. From the largest predators, such as the mighty T-Rex, to playful baby dinos, experience them as they were when they roamed the earth billions of years ago. Friends and family are invited to explore fossil digs, jump into science and art activities, enjoy inflatable attractions, and more at this one-of-a-kind dinosaur event. $22 for ages 2 and up; $19 for ages 65+; $36 for an unlimited pass to all rides and activities for ages 2 to 12. Times vary.
- White Linen Night in the Heights | Saturday, August 6 – While the original White Linen Night event on 19th Street will return in a scaled down version, with open shops and restaurants, the larger event officially expands across the Heights, with individual galleries, boutiques, bars, and more offering specials around the Greater Heights. Times vary.
- Garth Brooks in Concert at NRG Stadium | Saturday, August 6 – Country music legend Garth Brooks stops by Houston for the final United States date on his worldwide Stadium Tour. $89.50 and up, but you may find hard-to-get, better, or cheaper seats on the online resale market. 7pm.
- BAM! Art Market at Silver Street Studios | Saturday, August 13 | No Cover – The First Saturday Arts Market and the Market at Sawyer Yards join forces for a mash-up market inside the air-conditioned Silver Street Studios. Stop by to browse more than 100 artist vendors and enjoy live music, food and more. Noon to 8pm.
- NFL Preseason: Houston Texans vs. New Orleans Saints at NRG Stadium | Saturday, August 13 – Quarterback Davis Mills leads the Texans into the home opener of the 2022 NFL preseason. $54 and up. 7:30pm.
- Incredible India: A Cultural Kaleidoscope at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Saturday, August 13 | FREE – Led by Surender Talwar, this performance takes audiences on an exciting cultural journey through regions of India that have a rich artistic heritage. Dancers from the North and the South, and from the East and the West, weave a beautiful tapestry of vibrant colors and moods, proudly displaying the splendor of Indian dance in its many forms. 8:30pm.
- Broadway Across America presents Mean Girls at Hobby Center | Tuesday, August 16 to Sunday, August 21 – Based on the beloved movie created by the mind of Tina Fey, this musical finds Cady Heron, raised on the African savanna, trying to adjust to life in suburban Illinois. Hilarity ensues as she attempts to figure out high school social hierarchy and gain entry to the popular kids’ group. $40 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Prince Tribute: The Purple Xperience at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, August 19 | FREE – Led by Marshall Charloff, this five-piece out of Minneapolis brings the many hits of the singular pop superstar to the stage in Hermann Park. 8:15pm.
- DaCamera presents Houston SummerJazz 2022 at Multiple Venues | Friday, August 19 & Saturday, August 20 – This 2-day festival brings a trio of Grammy-nominated jazz artists—Jazzmeia Horn, Pedrito Martinez Group, and Joshua Redman—to stages in Downtown’s Theater District. Free opening and closing concerts also take place at Market Square Park, featuring the Jalen Baker Quartet on Friday and a free Latin jazz dance party with Pedrito Martinez Group on Saturday. Times vary.
- AIA Sandcastle Competition at East Beach in Galveston | Saturday, August 20 – The annual sandcastle competition returns to Galveston for its 35th year, featuring sand masterpieces carefully crafted by teams along categories like pop culture, kids board games, Americana, space race, and more—all vying for the coveted Gold Bucket Award. Free, though parking at East Beach is $15 (cash only). 9am to 5pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Minnesota Twins at Minute Maid Park | Tuesday, August 23 to Thursday, August 25 – Beloved shortstop Carlos Correa and the Minnesota Twins swing through Houston for a three-day midweek series. All fans in attendance on Thursday night will go home with a Jose Altuve ALCS replica ring. $12 and up. 7pm.
- Clue at Alley Theatre | Ongoing through Sunday, August 28 – Murder and blackmail are on the menu at Boddy Manor, as guests assemble for an evening rife with danger and chilling revelations. Based on the classic board game and beloved movie, this whodunit will keep audiences on the edge of their seat, guessing until the last clue is revealed. $30 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Dynamo FC vs. Los Angeles FC at PNC Stadium | Wednesday, August 31 – Some of the biggest names in MLS come to Houston for a midweek matchup that will see the Dynamo’s Héctor Herrera up against international teammate Carlos Vela, Italian legend Giorgio Chiellini and new signing Gareth Bale. $18 and up. 7:30pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).