Updated Monday, July 11, 2022 at 9:34pm
Find the perfect things to do in H-Town with our Weekend Guide for Thursday, July 14 to Sunday, July 17, 2022.
This weekend, get ready for a star-studded Comicpalooza event in Downtown, take to the ballpark for fun giveaways, catch a movie screening on the beach, enjoy some finger-lickin’ good barbeque on the weekend, and much mroe.
Add an Event, Offer or Attraction
Have an event, attraction, or offering that we missed? Let us know at [email protected] or order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day (usually sooner). Contact us at [email protected] to learn more.
Things to Do All Weekend Long
- Sugar Land Space Cowboys vs. Reno Aces at Constellation Field | Daily – The Space Cowboys open a six-game series with Reno, featuring themed nights that include discounted drinks, Fireworks Friday, a jersey giveaway, and more. $7 and up. Times vary.
- Comedian Billy Wayne Davis at the Secret Group | Thursday to Saturday – A finalist on Last Comic Standing, and seen on specials like Comedy Central’s Tales From the Trip, the Tennessee comedian swings through EaDo for a weekend of side-splitting sets. $20 in advance; $25 day of show. 8pm nightly.
- Comedian Shuler King at Houston Improv | Thursday to Saturday – Known for his roast videos and stops on shows like Wild ‘n Out, the Southern comedian hits West Houston for five sets across the weekend. Tickets are sold by the table; $50 for 2, and up. Times vary.
- Gatlin’s Fins & Feathers Opening Weekend in Independence Heights | Opens Friday – Gatlin’s BBQ’s new sibling restaurant debuts with a tasty focus on modern Southern and Gulf Coast fare, with crispy and tender fried chicken, fresh oysters, New Orleans-inspired shrimp, and more. Times vary.
- The Riot Comedy Show presents Adam Hunter at Rudyard’s British Pub | Friday & Saturday – Seen on various late night stops and dishing about MMA on ESPN, the longtime comedian stops at the upstairs stage in Montrose for a few sets on back-to-back nights. $15 and up. Times vary.
- Comicpalooza 2022 at George R. Brown Convention Center | Friday to Sunday – The annual comics and pop culture convention returns to Houston for a weekend of celebrity meet-and-greets, cosplay, one-of-a-kind local vendors, panels and more. Tickets start at $25 for adults; $6 for ages 6 to 12; free for ages 5 and under. Times vary.
- Houston Astros vs. Oakland Athletics at Minute Maid Park | Friday to Sunday – The ‘Stros play host to bottom of their division when the Oakland Athletics come to town for a three-game series. Special nights include a Lance McCullers jersey giveaway on Friday, NASA Night on Saturday, and an Orbit “greenie” baby on Sunday. $29 and up. Times vary.
Pool Passes, Summer Markets & More Things to Do
- Pool Passes around Greater Houston – From luxury hotels to far-flung resorts and fun-filled social pools, there’s a place near you where you can splash around and cool off.
- Summer Markets in Greater Houston – Shop local and fresh from the farm with our guide to weekly and monthly markets taking place in all corners of Greater Houston.
- Limited Time Museum Exhibits & Art Installations Around Greater Houston | Daily | Many FREE – Explore the many striking, stunning, and diverse exhibits exploring history, science, art, culture, and creativity around the Greater Houston metro area.
Ongoing Theater Shows & Arts Performances
Many plays, musicals, and other stage shows span multiple weeks. Scroll down to find new shows opening this week, then ongoing performances, followed by shows that are wrapping up this weekend.
- Is God Is at Rec Room | Thursday to Saturday | Opening Weekend – Catch the opening of this production in Downtown from playwright Aleshea Harris, about twin sisters who sojourn from the Dirty South to the California desert to exact righteous revenge. $10 and up. 7:30pm.
- Simprov at MATCH | Friday to Sunday | Opening Weekend – From Obie Award–winning playwright Laurence Klavan comes this serious and surreal comedy about technology, entertainment and identity. $25. Times vary.
- Main Street Theater for Youth presents Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at MATCH | Saturday & Sunday | Opening Weekend – This family-friendly musical is the story of a magical car and a family that embarks on the adventure of a lifetime. Featuring songs by the Sherman Brothers (of Mary Poppins and other Disney classics), this is sure to delight young and young-at-heart alike. $20 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Sarah Sings a Love Story at Ensemble Theatre | Daily | Ongoing – This regional premiere celebrates the love of Elaine and Russell, married for 30 years, through the music and life of jazz singer Sarah Vaughan. $41 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Catastrophic Theatre presents Tamarie Cooper’s Live In-Person Sticky Sweet Summer Show at MATCH | Daily | Ongoing – The irrepressible, energetic, wild wit of Tamarie Cooper is back in this uproarious original production. Expect feral actors, dancing egg rolls and other hilarity across a show that delivers music and comedy in equal measures. Pay-what-you-can; suggested price of $35. Showtimes vary.
- The Real Inspector Hound at Main Street Theater | Daily | Ongoing – Catch the opening performance of this new murder mystery play that spoofs Agatha Christie-style murders at the small but mighty theater in Rice Village. $39 and up. 3pm.
- AD Players presents The Sound of Music at the George Theater | Daily | Ongoing – The beloved Rodgers and Hammerstein musical is the story of a nun named Maria who is sent to be the governess for the von Trapp family in the last years before the Nazi invasion of Austria. Against a backdrop of the world changing, Maria finds love, holds fast to her faith and discovers her true purpose. $30 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Broadway Across America presents Disney’s Frozen at Hobby Center | Daily | Final Weekend – The Broadway adaptation of Disney’s classic film Frozen comes to Downtown, bringing Elsa, Anna, Olaf, Kristoff, Sven, and more to the Hobby stage. Recommended for ages 6 and up; ages 2 and under will not be admitted. $40 and up. Dates and times vary.
Tickets to Houston Pro Sports Games
- Houston Astros Home Games at Minute Maid Park | 2022 Tickets on Sale | Sponsored − Save on 2022 Astros games with cheaper, better or hard-to-find seats on the online resale market.
- Houston Dynamo Home Games at PNC Stadium | 2022 Tickets on Sale | Sponsored − Save on 2022 Dynamo games with cheaper, better or hard-to-find seats on the online resale market.
Bastille Day, Thursday, July 14, 2022
- Craft Brew Stroll on 19th Street in The Heights | No Cover – Hop from shop to shop along 19th Street in the Heights, when they host an assortment of Houston’s craft breweries for you to sample, including Galveston Island, 8th Wonder, Saint Arnold, SpindleTap, Holler, and several others. 5pm to 9pm.
- Bastille Day Party & 8 1/2 Souvenirs Album Release Party at Under the Volcano – Celebrate France’s independence with live music by 8 1/2 Souvenirs along with French drinks—think cocktails, wines, and beers—and crepes. The event also celebrates the release of the long-running jazzy swing band–with an occasional French twist—from Austin’s newest album, At The Movies. $10. 5pm to 10pm.
- Official Bastille Day Houston Celebration at Powder Keg – All ages can celebrate the joie de vivre of Bastille Day at a West Houston party—hosted by The Consulate General of France in Houston and the French-American Chamber of Commerce—featuring French food, wines, beers, plus French music from DJ Julien Nolan in the Energy Corridor. $15; $8 for ages 2 to 12. 6pm to 10pm.
- Tiki Takeover Dinner at Brenner’s on the Bayou – Don your favorite tropical or Caribbean-style attire and grab your seat for a five-course Caribbean-inspired dinner, with rum cocktail drink pairings for each course. $125. 7pm.
- Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen in Concert at House of Blues – Two staples in the Texas country music scene, Randy Rogers and Wade Bowen, team up to perform tracks from their three joint albums. $25 and up. 7pm.
- Houston Symphony presents A Night on Broadway at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – The Symphony takes to the Woodlands for a performance of Broadway classics, including selections from Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King, Les Miserables, and more. $25 and up. 7pm.
- Samba Dance Class at Midtown Park | FREE – Learn the 1-2s of the popular Brazilian dance style as you mingle with other dance partners at this free class in Midtown. Free with registration; single dancers and all skill levels are welcome. 7pm to 9pm.
- The Masked Singer National Tour at Smart Financial Centre – Pop star Natasha Bedingfield hosts and performs on this tour of the hit Fox TV show, which also features fan-fav characters from past seasons, surprise celebrity guests, and more. $39.75 and up. 7:30pm.
- Banks in Concert at 713 Music Hall – The alt pop singer-songwriter pops by Post Houston’s music stage for a night in support of her fourth studio album, Serpentina. $30 and up. 8pm.
- The Little Mermaid Movie Screening at Seawolf Park in Galveston | FREE – Catch a Disney classic on the east side of the island at this outdoor screening that take place at Seawolf Park, right on Galveston Bay. Free; parking fees are $6. 8:30pm.
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do are happening all weekend long. Scroll up and see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
Friday, July 15, 2022
- Smo’Cain BBQ Pop-Up at Southern Star Brewery | No Cover – The Conroe brewery hosts the Smo’Cain BBQ food truck, doling out delicious ‘Q, mac and cheese, and hot dogs to wash down with craft suds from Southern Star. 4pm to 10pm.
- Coheed & Cambria in Concert at 713 Music Hall – After releasing their tenth studio album Vaxis – Act II: A Window of the Waking Mind in February, the prog rock band makes a stop in Houston for a head-banging show. $39.95 and up. 6:30pm.
- Milonga del Arrabal: Summer Edition at TBH Center – Join a traditional Argentine tango milonga, and show up early for a class to learn the basics, at this summer evening dance session hosted by MECA Houston. Starts at $15 for the milonga. 6:30pm to 12:30am.
- Mixers & Elixirs at Houston Museum of Natural Science – Party amid prehistory when HMNS returns with another edition of its popular Mixers & Elixirs series, which offers a dancefloor to groove on, along with cash bars and local food trucks on hand. $25. 7pm.
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd in Concert at House of Blues – The blues rock singer-songwriters heads to Downtown in celebration of the 25th anniversary of his 1997 platinum release, Trouble Is… $32 and up. 7pm.
- Sing-A-Long Karaoke at Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – Warm-up those vocals and sing your heart out on a big stage at Sugar Land Town Square, which invites kiddos and their families to be the star of their own show. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Jessi Uribe & Paola Jara in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – The Colombian singers join forces for La Conquista Tour that swings through Sugar Land. $64.50 and up. 8pm.
- Amanda Pascali in Concert at the Heights Theater – The Houston singer-songwriter debuts her brand new EP, The Messenger, at an album release show in the Heights. $20 and up. 8pm.
- Taylor Fest at Warehouse Live – Swifties unite for a night of the prolific Grammy Award–winning pop star’s signature hits. $20. 8pm.
- There’s Something About Mary Movie Screening at Market Square Park | FREE – Catch the classic ’90s comedy starring Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz, when it screens in historic Market Square Park. 8:30pm.
- Little Joe y La Familia in Concert at Rise Rooftop – The Midtown venue hosts 5-time Grammy Award-winning Tejano artists, Little Joe y La Familia. $10 and up. 9pm.
- Gabriel & Dresden and Friends in Concert at Stereo Live – The electronic duo takes the stage in West Houston for a night of pulse-pounding music. $6. 10pm.
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do in Houston are happening all weekend long. Scroll up to see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
Add Your Event
Don’t see your event? Order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day. Or contact our advertising team to learn about larger campaigns, including bulk and discount options.