Kick off summer with our picks for the best kid-friendly things to do in and around Houston in June 2022.
This month, catch the final polo stampede of the season, get active at a run-and-swim event, celebrate Juneteenth and Pride, plan out a Father’s Day class, and more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 10 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Month: June 2022
- USPA NYTS Cup at Houston Polo Club | Sunday, June 5 – The final match of the spring polo season sees teams jockeying for the last cup before summer break. Swing by for live music, a champagne divot stomp at halftime, plus get a look at the latest 2022 Ford trucks on display. Individual courtyard tickets are $32.50; $15.50 for ages 12 and under. Boxes for 2 to 20 guests range from $89 to $895. 6pm.
- Tiny Trekkers at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center | Thursdays from June 9 to 30 – Young explorers ages 2 to 4 are invited to this Thursday series of hands-on nature exploration at the Arboretum. Each week is a different theme, including Dirt Detectives, Avian Antics, Let It Grow and Busy Bees. $12. Sessions at 9:30am and 11am.
- YMCA Splash & Dash at the Shadowbend YMCA in the Woodlands | Saturday, June 11 – This first annual event sees kiddos compete in run and swim events, across three different age groups at the Shadowbend Y in the Woodlands. Open to ages 7 to 15, any skill level is welcome, but kids must be able to swim several laps of the pool unassisted. Swim and run lengths vary by age group. Registration is $40. 7:30am.
- Cleveland Outdoor Expo at Stancil Expo Center | Saturday, June 11 | FREE – North of Houston in Cleveland, this outdoor expo features a snake and reptile show, inflatables for the kiddos, KidFish archery, a touch-a-truck display, vendors and more. 9am to 3pm.
- Hire Houston Youth On-The-Spot Hiring Event at George R. Brown | Saturday, June 11 | FREE – In an effort to employ thousands of Houston area youth, ages 16 to 24, the Hire Houston Youth initiative holds its final event to meet with area representatives and interview on-the-spot (for applicants with resume, Texas ID and social security card). Head to Hire Houston Youth’s website to explore the job board and additional resources from local businesses. 10am to 2pm.
- Juneteenth Celebration at Children’s Museum Houston | Saturday, June 18 – Gather for an afternoon to celebrate Juneteenth in the Museum District. Hear about the life and leadership of Harriet Tubman, get interactive with a djembe drumming session, hear a children’s tale about diversity and inclusion from author Jatrean Sanders, snap a pic with Black Panther, and more. $15 for ages 1 and up. 10am to 6pm.
- Father’s Day at George Ranch Historical Park | Saturday, June 18 – Give dad a day on the ranch at the historical park in Fort Bend, where he’ll learn to load and shoot replica flint locks and percussion rifles that date back more than a century. Classes for just for dad, but families can watch and enjoy the rest of the day getting a taste of life before modern conveniences. $15 and up. Classes start at 10:30am.
- Trolls Live! at NRG Arena | Saturday, June 18 & Sunday, June 19 – Get ready for a hair-raising live tour when kiddos’ favorite characters form Trolls come to Houston, featuring Poppy, Branch, Cooper, and more in the colorful world of Trolls village for a performance with music, glitter, humor and happiness. $19 and up. Showtimes vary.
- Juneteenth: The Journey to Freedom at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Juneteenth, Sunday, June 19 | Virtual Option | FREE – More than a dozen performers come together to tell the story of African Americans from 1865 to today, and their journey to the celebration of freedom through dramatic visuals, live music, narration and dance. 8:30pm.
- Rainbow on the Green at Discovery Green | Friday, June 24 | FREE – Discovery Green presents its annual citywide LGBTQ celebration with entertainment from award-winning local drag queens, Houston’s own powerhouse vocalist Christina Wells, The Kinsey Sicks and more. 7pm to 10pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).