Make the most of your week with our top festivals, events, and things to do this week in Houston from Monday, May 23 to Sunday, May 29, 2022.
This week is a great mashup of incredible live music, food events and just enough culture to make your mom proud.
We’ve whittled it down to our 15 picks for the week, but you can always check out the extended calendar for more happenings in Houston.
Scroll below to find great things happening in Houston from Monday, May 23 to Sunday, May 29, 2022.
Top 15 Festivals, Events & Things to Do This Week in Houston
- CultureMap Tastemaker Awards 2022 at Silver Street Studios | Wednesday, May 25 – This annual foodie event celebrates Houston’s top restaurant and bar talent, as selected by their peers, offering a signature tasting event and awards ceremony, hosted by the legendary Bun B. $75; $125 for VIP (includes one-hour early admission). 7pm.
- Tears for Fears & Garbage in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Wednesday, May 25 – For the first time in nearly 20 years, the English new wave pioneers have released a new album, The Tipping Point, and bring it to Sugar Land, joined by the Shirley Manson–led alt rock group, Garbage. $59.50 and up. 8pm.
- Wines of Rioja at Post Oak Hotel in Uptown Houston | Thursday, May 26 – Sample over 100 wines from Spain’s most iconic wine region and enjoy culinary delights and live music. $199. 6pm to 9pm.
- Cristian Castro y Mijares in Concert at Arena Theatre | Friday, May 27 – Mexican singers Cristian Castro and Manuel Mijares will perform together in Southwest Houston as part of their Hits Tour 2022. $87 and up. 8:30pm.
- Kung Fu Film Nights: Once Upon a Time in China Movie Screening at Asia Society Texas Center | Friday, May 27 – Asia Society Texas’s Kung Fu Film Nights series rolls on, presenting an outdoor screening of the 1991 Jet Li-starring classic, Once Upon a Time in China, on the festival lawn. $10; with complimentary beer and cocktail. 8:30pm.
- Houston Symphony presents The Best of John Williams at Jones Hall | Friday, May 27 to Sunday, May 29 | Virtual Option – Catch some of the most iconic film scores from the legendary composer John Williams when Houston Symphony and Chorus presents an evening of his blockbuster themes, including works from Jaws, Star Wars, Harry Potter, and more. $29 and up ($20 for Saturday’s livestream). Times vary.
- Catastrophic Theatre presents Innominate at MATCH | Opens Friday, May 27 to Sunday, May 29 – Afsaneh Aayani’s experimental dance theatre piece comes to Midtown, combining puppetry, live original music, mixed media and movement for a surreal journey through Aayani’s personal experience as an immigrant from war-torn Iran. Running through Thursday, June 16. Pay-what-you-can; suggested price of $35. Times vary.
- Indigenous Cuisine Cooking at Houston Botanic Garden | Saturday, May 28 | FREE – Adán Medrano, author of the cookbook, Don’t Count The Tortillas: The Art Of Texas Mexican Cooking, and the writer of the documentary, Truly Texas Mexican, discusses Texas and Mexican plants and foods and their Indigenous cultural roots at Houston Botanic Garden. Registration required. 10am.
- The Women of Glenwood Walking Tour at Glenwood Cemetery | Saturday, May 28 – With one of Houston’s most beautiful outdoor spaces as a backdrop, learn about the notable women of the Bayou City, including those who helped found our city, suffragettes, and even actresses of the Golden Era of Hollywood. $10. 10am to noon.
- Asian Market Night at Railway Heights Market | Saturday, May 28 | No Cover – Savor an evening of live music, traditional attire, lion dancing, and various Asian street food vendors at the Washington Ave food hall north of I-10. 2pm to 10pm.
- Buzzfest 2022 at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Saturday, May 28 – The bi-annual 94.5 The Buzz’s big bash returns to Cynthia Woods with a lineup that features Papa Roach, Seether, Bush, The HU, Dead Sara and more. $34.50 and up. 2:30pm.
- Retropalooza Houston at Pasadena Convention Center | Saturday, May 28 & Sunday, May 29 – Bring the fam out for a video game extravaganza featuring YouTube gaming personalities, all-era gaming, contests, competitions and guest panels. $20 and up; free for ages 12 and under. 10am to 5pm.
- Hopchella at Ingenious Brewing Company | Saturday, May 28 & Sunday, May 29 | No Cover – The imaginative Humble brewery teams up with The Weekend Pop-up Art Gallery to throw Hopchella, a 2-day art and music festival. Noon to 5pm.
- 5th Annual Gr8 Taco Challenge at 8th Wonder Brewery | Sunday May 29 – Vote and dine as some of Houston’s top chefs vie for the top spot at this 8th annual taco challenge in EaDo. $35 and up. Noon to 4pm.
- Houston Dash vs. North Carolina Courage at PNC Stadium | Sunday May 29 – In only their second home game of the season, the Dash return from a road trip to face the Courage in a cross-conference clash on Memorial Day weekend. $12 and up. 6pm.
Many More Things to Do in Houston
- Top Concerts & Live Shows This Week – Check out our top picks for local and touring musicians, stars, and personalities hitting the stage in H-Town this week.
- Top Games & Sports Events This Week – Scope out professional and select college sports games, touring athletic competitions, local fitness and participatory events, and more.
- Top Things to Do For Kids & Families This Week – Zero in on the best option for families and the junior set around Greater Houston.
- Current Temporary Museum Exhibits & Art Installations in Greater Houston – Explore the newest installations and exhibits on short term display at museums and locations around Houston, with a focus on art, history, and science.
- More Options on Our Calendar – Explore more live entertainment, events, pop-ups, markets, and other options around Houston.
Save on Houston Museum & Brewery Passes
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).