Get in the swing of spring at the best kid-friendly things to do in and around Houston in May 2022.
This month, celebrate Mom, get up close to a variety of vehicles, catch Blippi on stage, help your teen get a summer job, watch fireworks blast off, and more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 14 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Month: May 2022
- Mother’s Day Events & Brunches around Houston | Thursday, May 5 to Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 8 – Check out our picks for Mother’s Day happenings around town, including concerts, comedy performances, and delectable brunches across the Greater Houston area.
- Free Comic Book Day at Multiple Locations | Saturday, May 7 | FREE – Swing by your local comic book store to snag a free comic book on the annual giveaway day, including titles like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Doctor Who, Spider-Man, Avatar, and more. Times vary.
- Touch-a-Truck at Rosenberg Civic Center | Saturday, May 7 | FREE – Be amazed by trucks of all types when you get up close to see all of the bells and whistles. You can expect to see vehicles and heavy equipment like firetrucks, helicopters, Bearcats, garbage trucks and more. For those with sensory sensitivities, a quiet hour is held from 10am to 11am, with no loud noises or flashing lights. 10am to 1pm.
- We Don’t Talk About Bruno at Children’s Museum Houston | Saturday, May 7 – Meet and greet the Encanto characters, Bruno and Mirabel, and snap an Instagram-worthy photo at an Encanto-inspired event at Children’s Museum Houston. $15 for ages 1 and up. 10am to 4pm.
- Festival of Eid at Asia Society Texas Center | Saturday, May 7 | FREE – Mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan at this Asia Society festival that features outdoor food trucks and delicious eats, as well as craft activities, henna designs, musical and dance performances and an indoor bazaar where you can shop local artists and small businesses. Pre-registration is required. 4pm to 8pm.
- Ponies & Petals Cup: Mother’s Day at Houston Polo Club | Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 8 – Pony up for a special Mother’s Day match, complete with Best Ladies Hat Contest, plus door prizes, expert announcing, a Champagne divot stomp at halftime, and live flamenco guitar music. Individual courtyard tickets are $32.50; $15.50 for ages 12 and under. Boxes for 2 to 20 guests range from $89 to $895. 5pm.
- Blippi the Musical at Bayou Music Center | Friday, May 13 – Let your littles learn about the world around them while singing and dancing with the colorful, energetic Blippi on stage. $32 and up. 6pm.
- Hire Houston Youth On-The-Spot Hiring Event at Acres Home Multi-Service Center | Saturday, May 14 | FREE – Mayor Sylvester Turner’s Hire Houston Youth initiative, in partnership with the Greater Houston McDonald’s owners/operators, hosts a series of job and resource fairs through Saturday, June 11, 2022 in an effort to employ thousands of Houston area youth, ages 16 to 24, this summer. Positions are available from a wide range of employers, including McDonald’s, the City of Houston and United Airlines, among others. 10am to 2pm.
- Galveston Family Beach Challenge at East Beach | Sunday, May 15 | FREE – Get competitive as a family at a larger-than-life obstacle course on Galveston’s East Beach. Families will vie for gift cards and VIP tickets to Galveston attractions by competing through 14 stations for kids and adults, including games like bean bag toss, a life-size Battleship, limbo, volley balloon, and more. Games are designed for families of 4 or more. Registration required; ages 8 and up. 11am to 4:30pm.
- Disney’s Raya & the Last Dragon Movie Screening at Houston Public Library Downtown | Friday, May 20 | FREE – Head to the Barbara Bush Literacy Plaza outside Downtown’s HPL campus to catch a free outdoor screening of the 2020 Disney animated film, Raya & the Last Dragon. Blankets or chairs are welcome. Noon.
- Pasadena Strawberry Festival at Pasadena Municipal Fairgrounds | Friday, May 20 through Sunday, May 22 – The annual strawberry fest returns to Pasadena, featuring a weekend of bbq, carnival rides, a car show, mutton bustin’, a kids zone, and more. Tickets are $15; $5 for ages 6 to 10. Weekend passes are $30. Times vary.
- Family Magic & Comedy with Carter Blackburn at Houston Improv | Saturday, May 21 – Bring the family out to see a show for all ages. With a mixture of high energy magic, illusions, juggling, sleight of hand, danger, and lots of audience interaction, this is a can’t-miss show you will talk about the entire way home. $20 and up. 2pm.
- Retropalooza Houston at Pasadena Convention Center | Saturday, May 28 & Sunday, May 29 – Bring the fam out for a video game extravaganza, featuring YouTube gaming personalities, all-era gaming, contests, competitions and guest panels. $20 and up; ages 12 and up are free. 10am to 5pm.
- Memorial Day at Town Green Park in the Woodlands | Sunday, May 29 | FREE – Kick off summer with a patriotic celebration that honors the military service of those who sacrificed most for the United States. This evening celebration features a commemoration ceremony, live Motown and funk music from Level One Band, children’s activities, strolling entertainment and a fireworks show to cap it off. 5pm to 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).