Bust a gut at these must-see live comedy shows and events in Houston for May 2022.
If you’re looking to have a laugh in May, then we have you covered with some of the biggest headlining comedians, stand-up acts, and the return of a weekend-long comedy festival with some stellar sets heading your way.
Want to dig for more laughs? Then check out our extended collection of comedy events in our calendar.
Here are our picks for the month’s top nights to tickle your funny bone:
Top 15 Live Comedy Events This Month: May 2022
- 8th Wonder Comedy Hour at the Secret Group | Sunday, May 1 – Bust a gut to a power hour of the city’s best comedians, hosted by MyKal Dédé and featuring dark and edgy material from Houston’s own Alan Adams, Dusti Rhodes, De De T, Michael Vargas, Will Loden and Ben Daniel. $8, includes an 8th Wonder beer; $10 includes a souvenir take-home glass. 6pm.
- Yvonne Orji at Houston Improv | Tuesday, May 3 – Known for her role as Molly on HBO’s Insecure, the Nigerian American comedian, actress and author returns to touring after dropping her 2020 breakout special, Momma, I Made It, which you can see on HBO Max. $60 for 2, and up. 7:30pm.
- Natalie Cuomo at the Secret Group | Tuesday, May 3 – The heavily inked comedian and podcast host of Help! with Natalie Cuomo takes to Secret Group’s EaDo stage for one night only. $15 in advance; $20 day of the show. 8pm.
- Jeff Dye at Houston Improv | Thursday, May 5 to Saturday, May 7 – The LA-based comedian has splashed across your television in the past decade, with appearances on The Masked Singer, NBC’s I Can Do That, as a finalist in Last Comic Standing, and in his half-hour Comedy Central Presents special. Now, he’ll take the Improv stage for five sets across three nights. $40 for 2, and up. Times vary.
- The Riot Comedy Show presents Gianmarco Soresi at Rudyard’s Pub | Friday, May 6 & Saturday, May 7 – Coming off sold out shows at his previous appearance and the critically-acclaimed special Shelf Life on Amazon Prime, the heartfelt and hilarious storyteller returns to Rudyard’s for four sets in early May. $15 and up. 7:30pm and 10pm.
- Mother’s Day with Marcus D. Wiley at Houston Improv | Sunday, May 8 – The Houston comic and co-host of the Yolanda Adams Morning Show, Marcus D. Wiley hosts an afternoon Mother’s Day special with his signature brand of clean, edgy comedy. $50 for 2, and up. 2pm.
- Aakash Gupta at Hobby Center | Sunday, May 8 – A rising comedic talent and co-winner of Amazon’s Indian stand-up competition Comicstaan, Aakash Gupta brings his latest material to the stage in Downtown on his Excuse Me, Brother! world tour. $40.25 and up. 6pm.
- Affion Crockett at Houston Improv | Thursday, May 12 to Sunday, May 15 – The multi-talented Def Jam comedian can most recently be seen as a guest star on HBO’s A Black Lady Sketch Show and as host of the upcoming 30th anniversary Martin reunion special on BET+. He’ll perform six sets across four nights at the West Houston comedy outpost. $40 for 2, and up. Times vary.
- Los Tres Tristes Tigres at Houston Improv | Thursday, May 19 to Saturday, May 21 – Take to the Improv for four nights of hilarious Spanish language stand-up, routines, original songs and parodies from the Mexico City trio. $56 for 2, and up. Times vary.
- Come & Take It Comedy Festival 2022 at the Secret Group | Thursday, May 19 to Sunday, May 22 – The EaDo venue celebrates the return of the weekend-long comedy festival that spans multiple indoor and outdoor stages, graced by some of the country’s funniest upcoming and established comics. This event is known to sell out, but you can purchase tickets to individual sets (prices vary) or purchase a weekend pass for all events for $139.99. Times vary.
- Daniel Tosh at Bayou Music Center | Saturday, May 21 – The longtime host of Tosh.0 and stand-up comic known for his biting delivery, Daniel Tosh takes the stage in Downtown for a night of nonstop hilarity. $49 and up. 7:30pm.
- Akaash Singh at the Secret Group | Sunday, May 22 – The Flagrant 2 podcast host and comedian brings his latest material to the Secret Group tent stage to close out the Come & Take It Comedy Festival. $25 in advance; $30 day of the show. 9pm.
- Kevin James Thornton at Houston Improv | Thursday, May 26 – Exploding into popularity through TikTok and Instagram, the multi-talented comedian, musician, filmmaker and photographer swings through West Houston for a one-night-only event. $60 for 2, and up. 7:30pm.
- The Riot Comedy Show presents Kim Congdon at Rudyard’s Pub | Friday, May 27 & Saturday, May 28 – A regular on Impractical Jokers and co-host of This Bitch Podcast with fellow comedian Sara Weinshenk, Kim Congdon appears for just two nights at the Montrose British pub to deliver her latest material. $15 and up. Times vary.
- Jess Hilarious at Houston Improv | Friday, May 27 to Sunday, May 29 – Breaking out in her Instagram comedy skits (where more than 5 million followers tune in today), the stand-up comedian and social media sensation comes to the Improv for a hilarious, hold-nothing-back set. $70 for 2, and up. Times vary.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).