In our My Top 5 series, we turn to the Houstonians who create and shape Houston’s character and ask them to share their own favorite things that make H-Town home. This week, we’re delighted to feature Lauren Sotomayor, known as The Cheese Chica and appearing as a featured guest at this weekend’s upcoming 2022 Katy Home & Garden Show.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Lauren Sotomayor
- Concerts outside at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Nothing says summertime to me like sitting on the lawn listening to some of my favorite performers! My tip: always sit on the lawn and be sure to bring comfortable blankets or chairs. The atmosphere can’t be beat and its a perfect spot for dancing!
- A Staycation at Marriott Marquis Houston in Downtown – As soon as the weather warms up, my family loves to book an overnight at the Marquis in Downtown Houston! So much fun at the pool bar (try the Painkiller), float in the lazy river, and the enjoy the incredible views of Houston!
- Dinner at Brenner’s on the Bayou – This restaurant has been a favorite of mine since moving back to Houston in 2013. You feel like you’re inside a fancy treehouse. The heirloom tomato salad and the Brenner’s old-fashioned are a must every time.
- Evolve Lagree in Katy – When I’m not styling cheese, you can find me on the megaformer or on the mic teaching at Evolve Lagree. It’s a 45-minute full-body Pilates type workout that will get your heart rate up and muscles trembling. Looking to stay inside the loop? Studio Form near River Oaks is my favorite spot to sweat in the city.
- Patio Brunches in Houston – One of the absolute best things about Houston is the abundance of fabulous dining options. On a nice day, you can find me on the patio enjoying brunch at some of my favorites—Dish Society, The Rouxpour, Tiny Boxwoods, Whiskey Cake, Baker Street, and Jupiter Pizza and Waffle.
About The Cheese Chica, Lauren Sotomayor
Lauren Sotomayor is The Cheese Chica, a passionate cheese lover that creates visually stunning charcuterie boards for clients, as well as guides an interactive lesson for small groups on the art of the charcuterie board in her cheeseBoarding Schools. You can meet Lauren at the upcoming Katy Home & Garden Show, where she’ll be offering cheeseBoarding classes at a special reduced rate.