Get your Rodeo plans in order with 7 ways to get Rodeo ready in Houston, this week from Monday, February 21 to Sunday, February 27, 2022.
At long last, the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo makes a triumphant return to H-Town, offering three weeks of wild west delights, delicious foods and huge headlining concerts.
But before it kicks off officially on Monday, February 28, 2022, you can indulge in all the pre-Rodeo fun that gets rolling this week.
We’ve gathered 7 ways for you to get Rodeo ready with parades, markets, food events and more.
Still looking to snag a seat for a Rodeo concert this season? Check out our guide to Rodeo Concerts at the 2022 Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
7 Ways to Get Rodeo Ready in Houston
- A Texan Toddler Tuesday with Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo at Discovery Green | Tuesday, February 22 | FREE – Dress up your cowboys and cowgirls for a yeehaw good time at Discovery Green to kick off the Rodeo season. Hear the children’s story by Zane Carruth, Abella Goes to the Rodeo, take in a roping demonstration from members of the HLSR, and meet a rodeo clown. 11am to 1pm.
- HLSR’s World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest at NRG Park | Thursday, February 24 to Saturday, February 26 – More than 250 bbq teams will compete in the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo’s epic, annual bar-b-que contest. Tents are invite-only, but the public can get in on the action by visiting The Garden for country music performances, Rockin’ Bar-B-Que Saloon and the Chuckwagon, plus the carnival for festival eats, rides and games. $20 for ages 13 and up; $5 for ages 3 to 12; free for ages 2 and under. Times vary.
- Go Texan Day | Friday, February 25 | FREE – Dust off those boots and tighten those bolos because Go Texan Day makes a big return in 2022, with Houstonians decked out in Western wear throughout the city, all day long. No matter if you’re heading to Memorial Park to catch the arrival of Trail Riders, or just strutting around the office, you’ll find plenty of other fellow cowboys and cowgirls around town.
- Rodeo Roundup at Houston City Hall | Friday, February 25 | FREE – The traditional event kicks off Go Texan Day, with a proclamation by Mayor Sylvester Turner, free chopped barbecue sandwiches, live music, and more. 11am.
- Rodeo Run 10K at Sam Houston Park in Downtown | Saturday, February 26 – Help kick off the 90th Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo with the traditional Rodeo Run and Downtown parade. Runners will take off in either the wheelchair race, 10K or 5K events and can hang out at a post-race party at Eleanor Tinsley Park afterward. $35 and up. 9am.
- 2022 HLSR Rodeo Parade in Downtown | Saturday, February 26 | FREE – Though the Trail Riders mosey in on Friday, you can be sure to catch the decorative floats, and men and women on horseback that fill the Downtown streets for the unofficial start of Rodeo season. Plus, Cody Johnson, who opens the Rodeo’s concert stage on Monday, February 28, will take the honors for Grand Marshal of the Downtown Rodeo Parade. 10am.
- Tidbits Rodeo Market at M-K-T in the Heights | Saturday, February 26 – Get yourself rodeo ready at this local pop-up market off Shepherd Drive in the Heights. Stroll vendors to pick up boots, apparel, jewelry, art and Texas gifts that will have you looking your best when the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo returns at the end of the month. $5; includes a complimentary cocktail. 10am to 4pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).