Cultivate a thriving garden or design your next landscape with garden decor, flora and workshops at local plant nurseries and garden centers across Greater Houston.
Whether you’re looking to start a succulent garden, seeking that rare exotic perfect for the Houston climate, or just trying to figure out how to keep your plants alive, the Greater Houston area is brimming with locally-owned nurseries and garden centers that can help you achieve it all.
We’ve pegged a dozen of Greater Houston’s top plant nurseries to help you on your gardening journey, from longtime neighborhood staples to tucked away hidden gems where visitors are welcome to wander for hours.
Plant Nurseries & Garden Centers in Greater Houston
Heights & North Houston
- Buchanan’s Native Plants in the Heights – On 11th Street, this beloved plant nursery has been churning out perennials and native plants to Houstonians for nearly 40 years. Stroll through its spacious Heights digs to find the hardy plants you need to survive the Houston climate, plus herbs, vegetables, trees, shrubs, roses and garden decor. Book a spot in one of their classes and workshops to really level up your gardening knowledge. 9am to 6pm daily.
- The Cactus King in Northside – The quirky nursery just north of Little York Road specializes in succulents, cactus, and agave across 15 greenhouses that boast an impressive regional diversity. A popular spot for landscapers and professionals, individuals can find access to wholesale supply of succulents that they can bring home to their own collection. Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm; closed Sundays.
- Joshua’s Native Plants & Gardens in the Heights – A couple blocks east of Shepherd Drive on 18th Street, this family-run nursery specializes in a variety of plants native to the Gulf Coast, making it a great place for beginners and established green thumbs alike. The succulents are popular pick-ups here, as is the extensive collection of containers and vintage garden decor. Tuesday to Sunday 9am to 5pm.
- JRN Nursery in North Houston – Off TX-249 in North Houston, JRN Nursery has been offering its diverse assortment of flora, from native plants to far-flung species of Asia and the Pacific, since 1986. Whether you’re hunting for houseplants or rarer varieties, swing by to take your pick of foliage, fruit trees, flowers and more. Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm; Sunday 10am to 5pm.
- Zone 9 Tropicals in the Heights – Specializing in rare and uncommon plants, this retail nursery in the Heights is only open on weekends, though you can check out their online store anytime. There you can find edible plants from around the world, rich fragrants, ginger plants, vibrant flowering trees, bonsai starters and more. Saturday and Sunday noon to 5pm.
Tomball, Spring, Kingwood
- The Arbor Gate in Tomball – The quirky nursery in Tomball, affectionately known as “The Gate,” is positively packed with garden decor from floor to ceiling, as well as specialty collections and unusual plants to fill your cultivated beds at home. “Hard to find but easy to grow” is a motto of sorts for The Gate, but just in case you find your confidence lacking, on-site classes and workshop events will ensure you know the best planting practices. Sunday to Wednesday 9am to 5pm; Thursday to Saturday 9am to 6pm.
- Plants for All Seasons in Tomball & Spring – With two locations (one on Louetta Road and the other along TX-249), this family-owned and operated nursery has been serving Houstonians’ gardening needs since 1973. The full service garden center can help you on your hunt for shrubs, flowers, perennials, herbs and vegetables, and much more, as well has provide delivery, planting and custom potting services. 9am to 5pm daily.
- Warren’s Southern Gardens in Kingwood – In the last decade, this family-owned garden center in Kingwood has been serving all gardening skill levels, helping visitors to find high quality plants, trees and shrubs, flowers and more while also operating a complete landscape and design division that can help you transform your garden into an oasis. Monday to Saturday 9am to 5:30pm; Sunday 10am to 5pm.
Sugar Land, Rosenberg, Seabrook
- Caldwell Nursery in Rosenberg – Just outside the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds, this horticultural center is serving year-round gardening needs with a wide array of exotic and rare plants, including a specialty in bamboo. Stop by to explore the 6 acres of unusual and native plants and don’t forget to return in the springtime to peruse its hard-to-find varieties of roses. Wednesday to Saturday 9am to 5:30pm.
- Cornelius Nursery in West Houston, Katy, Galveston & Sugar Land – Originally founded in 1937, this Houston-based nursery (now a part of the Calloway’s Nursery company with locations across Texas) operates out of four locations, including a recently opened Tom’s Thumb storefront in Galveston. The longtime garden suppliers pack tons of flora to level up your flowerbeds, plus a wide assortment of succulents, trees and more. 9am to 6pm daily at all locations.
- Enchanted Gardens & Forest in Rosenberg – These two garden centers collectively make up Enchanted Nurseries, with Gardens located north of Rosenberg, and Forest about 15 minutes south of Sugar Land. Enchanted Gardens is a spacious center for all skill levels of gardeners with a huge selection of plants, trees (including fruit trees), flowers and decor. Enchanted Forest is nestled among native Texas trees and provides gorgeous grounds and a picturesque environment to fulfill your planting needs. Together, both locations offer an uncrowded experience among truly scenic surroundings. Monday to Saturday 8am to 5pm; Sunday 10am to 4pm.
- Maas Nursery in Seabrook – Tucked away near residential neighborhoods scattered on the coast of Trinity Bay, Maas is renown for their sprawling collection of thousands of plants suitable for the Houston climate, in a positively wander-worthy environment where visitors can easily spend hours among the flora. Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm; Sunday 10am to 5pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).