Start your year off with our guide to the best kid-friendly things to do in and around Houston for January 2022.
This month, marvel at a high-energy magic show, enjoy a Mad Hatter tea time with the kids, celebrate Martin Luther King Day, see monster trucks sail through the air, and more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Top 10 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Month: January 2022
- 3D Pattern-Making with HCCC at Discovery Green | Saturday, January 8 | FREE – Houston Center for Contemporary Craft hosts an art-inspired event that helps kids create three-dimensional cut-out crafts. 1pm to 3pm.
- Family Magic & Comedy For All Ages with Carter Blackburn at Houston Improv | Saturday, January 8 & Saturday, January 29 – Experience Carter Blackburn’s magic and comedy at a show featuring a mixture of high-energy magic, illusions, juggling, sleight of hand, danger, and lots of audience interaction. $20 to $60. 2pm.
- Parent & Child: An Alice in Wonderland-inspired Tea Party at Central Market Cooking School | Sunday, January 9 – Spend an afternoon together creating and then enjoying some tea-time treats, inspired by the characters of Alice in Wonderland. Mad Hatter tea party attire is encouraged. $60. 11am.
- Star Wars Night: Houston Rockets vs. Minnesota Timberwolves at Toyota Center | Sunday, January 9 – Feel the force as the Rockets take on the Timberwolves on Star Wars Night. Enjoy special themed entertainment from a galaxy far, far away and snap a photo with characters walking the concourse. $10 and up, but you may find some better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in Concert at Jones Hall | Friday, January 14 to Sunday, January 16 – Houston Symphony transports audiences to the magical world of Hogwarts as they take on the moving scores of the 2009 film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. $34 to $134. Friday & Saturday at 7:30pm; Sunday at 2:30pm.
- 26th Annual Martin Luther King Day Celebration at Children’s Museum Houston | Saturday, January 15 – Honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with messages of unity, justice, and peace at Children’s Museum Houston. This year’s celebration includes a jazz ensemble performance, peace march, awards ceremony, and an all-day display of the “I Have a Dream” speech. Included with general admission; $12 for ages 1 and up. 11am to 2pm.
- 6th Annual Family Fun Day at MATCH | Sunday, January 16 | FREE (Canceled) – The Midtown arts and theater center returns with its annual tradition for a full day of family fun, performances and activities across an entire city block. Families can enjoy bounce houses, face painters, balloon artists, stilt walkers, chalk artists and more. 1pm to 5pm.
- Lunar New Year at the Woodlands Children’s Museum | Saturday, January 22 – Start the Year of the Tiger at a celebration in the Woodlands, complete with a coin tree art project, Chinese calligraphy, games and a performance from the Houston Lion Kings Dance Troupe. Included with general admission; $7 for ages 1 and up. 10am to 2pm.
- Nickelodeon’s JoJo Siwa: The D.R.E.A.M. Tour at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 29 – The dancer, singer and YouTube influencer arrives in Downtown while on their debut tour supporting the EP releases, D.R.E.A.M The Music and Celebrate. $39.50 to $69.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Monster Jam at NRG Stadium | Saturday, January 29 – Watch as 12,000-pound monster trucks hit soaring heights in a rip-roaring display of motorsport mania. $20 to more than $115, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).