Updated Tuesday, December 8, 2021 at 3:52pm.
Find the perfect things to do in H-Town with our 365 Houston Weekend Guide for Thursday, December 9 through Sunday, December 12, 2021.
Add an Event, Offer or Attraction
Have a truly unique event, attraction, or offering that we missed? Let us know at [email protected] or order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day (usually sooner). We also have more robust campaigns that will move the needle in attendance for concerts, festivals, markets, attractions, restaurants, and more. Contact us at [email protected] to learn more.
Things to Do All Weekend Long
- Hopadillo Field Goal Challenge at Karbach Brewing Company | Thursday to Saturday | No Cover – Compete for a chance to win VIP seats at the TaxAct Texas Bowl game happening at NRG Stadium in early January. Times vary.
- Tres Noches con Tres Robles at Finca Tres Robles | Thursday, Friday & Sunday – Houston’s only urban farm inside the loop celebrates the holidays at a three-night event series, with a community potluck dinner on Thursday, tacos and beer on Friday, and a five course farm dinner prepared by Chef David Cordúa of The Lymbar on Sunday. Times vary.
- Midtown Mistletoe Market at Bagby Park | Friday & Saturday | FREE – The popular, high-energy, NYC-style, holiday-inspired market descends on the recently renovated Bagby Park, complete with a curated selection of vendors, artisans & performers, craft activities, music, and more. Times vary by day.
- The Riot Comedy Show presents Comic Rich Vos at Rudyard’s | Friday & Saturday – With appearances on HBO, HBO Max, Netflix, Showtime and Starz under his belt, comedian and podcaster Rich Vos performs three standup shows upstairs at the Montrose mainstay. $20. Showtimes vary.
- Tomball German Christmas Festival in Old Town Tomball | Friday to Sunday| FREE – Go Deutsch and celebrate Christmas with plenty of food, beer, and wine, plus live music on three stages, a petting zoo, and a holiday market featuring more than 150 vendors with antiques, arts and crafts, souvenirs, and more. Times vary.
- Vincent Victoria presents The Last Night of Josephine Baker at Midtown Arts Center | Friday through Sunday – It’s Paris in 1975 and superstar singer Josephine Baker is attempting a comeback after a lifetime of highs and lows. Can the 69-year-old trailblazer pull it off? Starts at $25. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Symphony presents Handel’s Messiah at Jones Hall | Friday to Sunday – The symphony’s stirring annual tradition returns, along with the choral performance of the exultant “Hallelujah.” Times vary.
- 8th Annual Islamic Arts Festival at Majid Al-Salam in Spring | Saturday & Sunday | FREE | Virtual Option – Explore works of art created by Islamic artists from across the country at a two-day shopping and cultural event that will include live interactive sessions on calligraphy, henna tattoos, Ebru, painting, Arabesque pattern coloring, and children’s art activities. 10:30am to 5pm both days.
- Christmas Cruises along Buffalo Bayou | Saturday & Sunday – Embark on a 45-minute cruise down the bayou with festive boat lighting, treats, and a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus. $15. Hourly departures from 1pm to 4pm both days.
- The Nutcracker at The Grand 1894 Opera House | Saturday & Sunday – City Ballet of Houston’s The Nutcracker returns to The Grand in historic downtown Galveston for three shows. Starts at $19. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Grand Opera presents The Snowy Day at Wortham Theater Center | Daily – Based on the groundbreaking and enduring children’s book by Ezra Jack Keats, this world premiere follows the story of Peter, an African American boy in New York, who heads out to play on a snowy day. Starts at $30. Showtimes vary.
- TUTS presents Disney’s The Little Mermaid at Hobby Center | Daily – Travel under the sea with Ariel, Sebastian, Flounder, and more as they face off against the larger-than-life Ursula the sea witch when Theater Under the Stars brings the Disney favorite to life. Starts at $40. Dates and times vary.
- Potted Potter at the Hobby Center | Daily – This unauthorized but affectionate take on the seven-book Harry Potter series crams all stories and characters from the full series into 90 minutes, portrayed by two actors. Starts at $59.99. Dates and times vary.
- 2021 Holiday Attractions & Christmas Light Attractions around Houston | Daily – Check out Greater Houston’s ever-growing list of holiday light installation attractions, with old favorites like Zoo Lights in the Museum District, Galaxy Lights at Space Center Houston, and Sugar Land Holiday Lights to the new Lightscape at Houston Botanic Garden, Light Park at Typhoon Texas, and Dasher’s Lightshow in Hockley, plus many more.
- Houston‘s Best Neighborhoods for Holiday Lights | Daily |FREE – Pile in the car and explore some of Houston’s favorite neighborhoods for holiday lights, with many light displays debuting this week and into early December. Or grab your tickets and explore the countless pop-up light installations and events at attractions around Houston.
Neighbors & Destinations to Explore
- Must Do Things in Asiatown – Explore a vast array of Asiatown dining options, belt your heart out at karaoke, get your holiday shopping in, experience an authentic reflexology massage, and more.
- Must Do Things in Third Ward – Check out the campuses at U of H and Texas Southern University, dig into delicious soul food and vegan eats, visit the Project Row Houses, and more.
- Must Do Things near the Texas Medical Center – From late-night doughnuts to giant slices from Two Guys Pizzaria, the Texas Medical Center offers up some tasty treats next to some of Houston’s biggest destinations, including Hermann Park and the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
Limited Time Museum Exhibitions, Art Installations & Pop-Up Markets
- Limited Time Museum Exhibits & Art Installations Around Greater Houston | Daily | Many FREE – Explore the many striking, stunning, and diverse exhibits exploring history, science, art, culture, and creativity around the Greater Houston metro area.
- Outdoor Markets & Pop-Up Shopping Events Around Greater Houston | Daily | Many No Cover – With so many to choose from these days, you can browse, explore, and shop at one or all of Houston’s multiplying outdoor markets, many with live entertainment, food trucks, and other distractions.
Ongoing Theater & Arts Performances
- Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol at Alley Theatre | Daily – Join a series of wintry ghosts and pay a holiday visit to Ebenezer Scrooge as he learns the spirit of Christmas and giving. Showtimes vary.
- A.D. Players presents The Christmas Shoes at the George Theater | Daily – Two people from very different backgrounds affect each other and a greater humanity in this new holiday production based on a New York Times bestseller. Prices and showtimes vary.
- Houston Ballet presents The Nutcracker at Wortham Theater Center | Daily – Travel with Clara back to the Kingdom of Sweets at Houston Ballet’s live production of Choreographer Stanton Welch’s The Nutcracker. Prices and showtimes vary.
- Motown Christmas at Ensemble Theatre | Daily – Celebrate the start of the holiday season with an ensemble of traditional Christmas carols paired with the soulful sounds of Motown musicians like Marvin Gaye, the Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder, and the Supremes. Prices and showtimes vary.
- Stages presents Sister’s Christmas Catechism: The Mystery of the Magi’s Gold at the Gordy | Daily – Stages’ comic favorite Sister returns to tackle the mystery that’s intrigued historians for ages: whatever happened to the Magi’s gold? Prices and showtimes vary.
- Cirque du Soleil‘s Allegría at Sam Houston Race Park | Daily – Cirque du Soleil continues to please audiences with its classic show, Allegría, reimagined for a new generation. $50+; VIP and other packages available, but you may find cheaper or better seats on the online resale market. Showtimes vary.
Tickets to Houston Pro Sports Games
- Houston Rockets Tickets on Sale | Sponsored − Save on 2020 Rockets games with cheaper, better or hard-to-find seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market.
- Houston Texans Tickets at NRG Stadium | Sponsored – Hit the gridiron with seats to cheer on the Texans. Search for cheaper, better, or hard-to-find seats so you can see Houston Texans at home, with the TicketNetowork online marketplace.
Thursday, December 9, 2021
- A Merry Concha Christmas Holiday Pop-Up Market at Morales Radio Hall | FREE – Pop in to a holiday market and celebration in the East End, offering warm pan dulce, music, and creative photo backdrops in addition to local artists, vendors and hand crafted goods. 4pm to 9pm.
- Holiday Sip & Stroll at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center – Enjoy three glasses of vino or Saint Arnold brews while taking a walk through a holiday trail, with limited lights strung on select stretches. $55; $50 members. 5:30pm to 7pm.
- Conversations with Artists: Data-Driven Art at MFAH | FREE – Artists Jason Salavon and Norwood Viviano discuss the ways data and tech influenced their installations in the Kinder Building in the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. 6:30pm to 8pm.
- Public Opening of Collection Close-Up: Bruce Davidson’s Photographs at The Menil Collection | FREE – This curated exhibit, highlighting Davidson’s sustained engagement with social and political concerns, opens at the Menil. 7pm to 9pm.
- A Christmas Story Movie Screening at Discovery Green | FREE – Don’t shoot your eye out at a free showing of the classic 1983 Christmas comedy about young Ralphie’s machinations to get a Red Ryder BB Gun from Santa Claus in the 1940s. 7pm.
- The Elf on a Shelf: The Christmas Musical at Smart Financial Centre – Santa’s scout elves, and parents’ holiday backup, help Santa prep for the most magical night of the year. 7pm.
- Ian Moore in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – The Austin rocker and singer songwriter takes to the Duck’s stage for a night of soulful, intimate music accompanied by Warren Hood and Bukka Allen. 7pm and 9:30pm.
- Champagne & Ribs at Houston Museum of African American Culture – Known for attracting some of Houston’s biggest names, spanning backgrounds and fields, HMAAC’s celebrated dinner event returns with the promise of casual elegance; great music, delicious BBQ and bubbles on the Museum grounds. $100. 7pm to 10pm.
- Crush City Comedy Thursday at Preston Theater / CSz Arena in EaDo – BYOB and be prepared to laugh at a special edition of this live comedy show in EaDo, featuring three local improv troupes—including H-Town’s only hip hop improv. $5. 8pm.
- The Riot Comedy Show: The Gay Agenda at Rudyard’s British Pub – Some of Houston’s funniest LGBTQ+ comedians lead this unique Thursday evening variety show. $10; VIP tables start at $30. 9:30pm.
Friday, December 10, 2021
- Breakfast with Santa & Mrs Clause at C. Baldwin Hotel Downtown – Enjoy a decadent breakfast for the whole family, while visiting with Santa and the missus, joining in cookie decorating, get high res photos, cocoa (and mimosas for the grown-ups), and enjoy a Christmas reading at the warm and sleek boutique hotel in Downtown. $55 per person includes all food and drink, photos, and entertainment. 9am to 11am.
- Human Rights Day at Holocaust Museum Houston | FREE – In honor of the 73rd anniversary United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Holocaust Museum opens its doors for a free day of programming, exhibit-viewing, and more. Includes entry to the featured exhibitions, Blacklist: The Hollywood Red Scare and Speaking Up! Confronting Hate Speech. 10am to 5pm.
- Holiday Pop-Up Bazaar at Syrian American Club of Houston | No Cover – Discover desserts, clothes, jewelry, accessories, and more from 25 local vendors and creators in Uptown before the weekend shopping rush. 11am to 7pm.
- AutFest Texas Autism Film Festival: Houston Edition at the Monarch School – Take in short films, awards, and a feature presentation at the Houston stop of the roving Texas film festival that sheds a light on living with Autism. Wraps and salads provided. $30. 5pm to 9:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Milwaukee Bucks at Toyota Center – The Rockets defend their home court against the boys from Wisconsin. Starts at $21, but you may find better or cheaper seats on the online resale marketplace. 7pm.
- Gremlins Movie Screening at Market Square Park | FREE – Don’t get it wet. Keep it away from light. And definitely don’t feed it after midnight in this classic 1984 comedy horror flick that just happens to happen during Christmas. 7pm.
- Chelsea Handler: Vaccinated & Horny Tour at 713 Music Hall – The former host of Chelsea Lately, pops into Downtown for a live comedy show riffing on reactions to the pandemic, the state of the social world, and more. 7pm.
- Verivery in Concert at Warehouse Live – Best known for their chart-topping single, “Get Away,” the K-Pop group’s first stateside tour stops at EaDo’s Ballroom stage. $55. 7pm.
- Rauw Alejandro at Smart Financial Centre – San Juan’s reggaeton rapper brings his latest tour; drawing from his chart-topping summer release, Vice Versa, and debut studio album, Afrodisíaco. Starts at $49, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8:30pm.
- Lights in the Heights Bike Ride at Eureka Heights Brew Co. | FREE – Join in a bike ride to see the always stellar Christmas lights in Woodland Heights, on the eve of the popular Heights tradition, with stops at Onion Creek Cade and Good Dog before returning to the brewery. 6pm to 10pm.
- WindSync Homecoming at Archway Gallery – The Houston-based, nationally-celebrated wind quintet, WindSync comes home to Montrose for a winter show including the group’s favorite holiday tunes plus the world premiere of Mason Bynes’ Two Stepping. $25; $10 students with ID. 7pm.
- DJ Nghtmre at Sekai Day & Night – Catch the Sekai debut of LA-based EDM DJ Tyler Marenyi, better known as Nghtmre, when he lands in the new EaDo nightspot. $30. 10pm to 2am.
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do in Houston are happening all weekend long. Click here to scroll up and see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
Add Your Event
Don’t see your event? Order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day. Or contact our advertising team to learn about larger campaigns, including bulk and discount options.