Catch virtual and live performances all month long with our roundup of non-holiday live theater and performing arts productions happening in December 2021.
Not in the holiday spirit? No problem as Houston as several non-holiday performances taking stages across town this month.
If you do want to take a peek at some spirited seasonal shows, then check out our guide to holiday performances for December 2021.
Here are our highlights for the city’s performing arts events this month:
Top 8 Theater & Arts Performances in Houston This Month: December 2021
- Mercury Chamber Orchestra presents Nordic Melodies at Wortham Theater Center | Saturday, December 4 | Virtual Option – This evening of classical music features selections from Jean Sibelius, Arvo Part and Edvard Grieg, evoking winter evenings under Nordic skies. Tickets start at $25; $20 for streaming option. 8pm.
- TUTS presents Disney’s The Little Mermaid at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Tuesday, December 7 to Friday, December 24 – The beloved animated movie comes to life, following the adventures of Ariel the mermaid, who trades her voice to a sea witch in the hope of finding true love. All the songs you love, including “Under the Sea” and “Part of Your World” are here, along with some new, soon-to-be favorites. Starts at $40. Dates and times vary.
- Potted Potter: A Parody by Dan and Jeff at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Tuesday, December 7 through Sunday, January 2 – Two blokes. Seven Harry Potter Books. 70 minutes. Boom. Perfect for fans of the boy wizard and his pals, this Olivier Award–nominated show offers a hilarious send-up of J.K. Rowling’s epic stories. Even Muggles who wouldn’t know magic if a wand hit them will laugh along. TStart at $59.99. Dates and times vary.
- Vincent Victoria presents The Last Night of Josephine Baker at Midtown Arts Center | Friday, December 10 through Sunday, December 19 – It’s Paris in 1975 and superstar singer Josephine Baker is attempting a comeback after a lifetime of highs and lows. Can the 69-year-old trailblazer pull it off? Tickets start at $25. Showtimes vary.
- Cirque du Soleil presents Allegría at Sam Houston Race Park | Through Sunday, December 12 – The dazzling acrobatics and imaginative storytelling that are hallmarks of Cirque du Soleil are on display in full force in this classic performance, completely reimagined for a new generation. Follow Fleur as he leads you through an evening of wonder, encountering Old Bird, fairies, nymphs and more. Starts at $50, with VIP and Family Packages available. Times vary.
- Catastrophic Theatre presents 4.48 Psychosis at MATCH | Through Sunday, December 12 – Poet and performance artist T. Lavois Thiebaud heads this show that explores identity, depression, dysphoria and the body/soul dilemma. A play that invites multiple interpretations, this is exactly what audiences have come to expect from Catastrophic. Tickets are pay-what-you-can, with suggested price of $35. Showtimes vary.
- Stages Presents Panto Little Mermaid at the Gordy | Through New Year’s Eve, Friday, December 31 – A panto send-up of the enduring classic tale finds mermaid Hairielle trading her voice to the sea witch, Pursula, to save her Galveston Bay home. The interactive musical offers fun for the whole family. Starts at $25. Showtimes vary.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).