Get out and experience the best of Houston—before or after your feast—with our very favorite things to do in Houston before and on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 25, 2021.
Whether you’re entertaining your entire brood, hosting a friends-giving, or relaxing with a solo Turkey Day, you’ll find plenty to entertain you.
So pick your pleasure. No matter whether your group thrives on adrenaline, tradition, or spectacle, Houston’s got a pretty fantastic option for you this Thanksgiving Day.
And if you’re looking to skip the cooking this year, make your way to one of our favorite restaurants with our guide to the best dining and to-go options around Houston this Thanksgiving.
2021 Thanksgiving Events Around Houston
Week of Monday, November 15, 2021
- The Great Houston Pie Run 5K & 10K at King’s BierHaus in the Heights | Saturday, November 20 | Virtual Option – Rise and shine (or sleep in and go virtual) for the Great Houston Pie Run, which sends runners down 5K and 10K courses—or Kids K for the little ones—and enjoy a delicious slice of pie and beer in the post-race party to go with your finisher’s medal. Registration (in-person and virtual) is $40 for the 5K or 10K; $20 for the Kids K. 7:30am.
- 2021 Friendsgiving Toy Drive & Raffle at The Union HTX | Saturday, November 20 – Just off Washington Ave, this exhibition and event space hosts a toy drive, featuring raffle prizes, live music, a local vendor market, and art exhibition. Urban South and Saint Arnold will be providing beer, while you can grub on Baby Burgers, Monkey Cones & Back Porch Pastries. Funds will go to Kids’ Meals, an organization which works to provide food to children who live in food insecure homes. $5 per person, or free with a toy donation; $10 for raffle tickets. 1pm to 7pm.
- Memorial City Thanksgiving Fest & Market on Gessner Road | Sunday, November 21 | FREE – Memorial City hosts the free Memorial City Thanksgiving Fest & Market at the corner of Gessner Road and Mathewson Lane, featuring food trucks, kids treats, live music, and more. Memorial City will also be collecting donations for a Thanksgiving Food Drive benefiting Kids’ Meals. Everyone who donates will be entered into a drawing for a take-home Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings from State Fare, and tickets to The Elf on a Shelf – The Christmas Musical at Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land on Thursday, December 9, 2021. 10am to 2pm.
- Make & Take: Thanksgiving Desserts at Central Market Cooking School | Sunday, November 21 – Create a traditional flaky pie dough and a cream cheese dough, produce an apple filling tailored to your taste, and make a bite-sized sweet that features pecans at Central Market Cooking School. Tickets are $65 per person. Noon.
- Thanksgiving Farmers Market & A Celebration of Bakers at Braeswood Farmers Market | Wednesday, November 24 | No Cover – The weekly farmers market in Braeswood returns with its popular Celebration of Bakers and special Thanksgiving market. Grab some last-minute produce and provisions for the big feast, as well as some fresh-baked goodies from more than 50 amateur and professional bakers. 10am to 3pm.
- Tribute to the Woodlands Music Festival at Town Green Park | Wednesday, November 24 – Jam out to some of music’s greatest hits when the Woodlands welcomes tribute bands performing songs from Selena, David Bowie, Guns N Roses, The Eagles, Pearl Jam and more at this music festival on Thanksgiving Eve. Bring the family and enjoy a full day of great food, games, local vendors and more. Admission is $10; $65 for VIP; free for ages 12 and under, military, first responders and teachers with ID. Noon to 10pm.
- Drinksgiving at Little Woodrow’s Midtown | Wednesday, November 24 | No Cover – Have a drink with friends before Thanksgiving and enjoy a Turkey Bowling Competition, DJs, and a steak night at Little Woodrow’s in Midtown. 8pm.
Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 25, 2021
- Turkey Dash at Monty Ballard YMCA at Cinco Ranch | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 – Back for a 19th year, the Cinco Ranch-area YMCA will again host the Turkey Dash 5K, 10K and 1-mile walk/run. Pound the pavement and stick around for a post-race bash that also includes a Kids Zone. Registration is $50 for the 10K; $45 for the 5K; $25 for the 1-mile Run/Walk; $30 for the 1-mile Kids Run. 7am.
- BakerRipley Houston Turkey Trot in the Galleria Area | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 – The annual Thanksgiving tradition returns to an in-person event in the Galleria area this year, sending hundreds of runners from the Waterwall, through Uptown and Tanglewood, and ending just north of Westheimer Road. Registration is $30 for an untimed 5K, $35 for an untimed 10K, $15 for the Kid’s Run. 7:30am.
- YMCA Run Thru the Woods at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 – The 32nd annual tradition in the Woodlands will see thousands of runners take to the woods around the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion to help support local non-profit organizations. Registration is $45 for the 5-mile and 3-mile race; $40 for the 3-mile walk; $40 for the 1-mile kids race. 7:30am.
- Pearland Turkey Trot at Independence Park | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 – Returning as an in-person event for 2021, the Pearland Turkey Trot sends runners from Independence Park down to Dixie Farm Road and back, with 6-mile, 4-mile, 1-mile and Kids K events take place all morning. Registration is $60 for the 6-mile; $50 for the 4-mile; $25 for the 1-mile; $20 for the Kids K. 7:30am.
- L3 Turkey Day 5K at Kingwood Town Center | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 – Run to raise money to end pediatric cancer and start off the day on a healthy note before your Thanksgiving feast at the L3 Foundation’s 7th annual Turkey Day 5K and Wishbone 1K in Kingwood. Registration is $30 for the 5K; $15 for the Kids Wishbone 1K. 8am.
- 72nd Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade in Downtown | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 | FREE – Celebrate Turkey Day with one of the oldest Thanksgiving Day parades in the country, which winds down 20 city blocks and features floats, colorful marching bands, high-flying balloons and more. 9am.
- 61st Annual Autorama at George R. Brown Convention Center | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 to Sunday, November 28 – The annual Autorama brings a slate of dazzling hot rods, classic cars, exotic machines and more to the showroom floor of George R. Brown. Plus, attendees can get down to live music, browse a vendor market, meet special guests for autograph signings, and more. Tickets are $20; $4.99 for ages 6 to 12; free for ages 5 and under. Thursday 3pm to 8pm; Friday and Saturday 10am to 8pm; Sunday 10am to 6pm.
- Uptown Holiday Lighting on Post Oak Boulevard | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 | FREE – Returning for 2021, the free, annual Uptown Holiday Lighting event kicks off the holiday season on Post Oak Boulevard and Houston at large. The live entertainment event will feature a visit from Santa Claus, a fireworks extravaganza and a new light show. The family-friendly celebration has been reimagined with the introduction of more than 300 all-new, 20-foot-tall holiday trees that line Post Oak Boulevard from the West Loop to Richmond Avenue. 4pm to 7pm.
- Green Mountain Energy Ice at Discovery Green | Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 25 – The ice is back again at Discovery Green in Downtown, meaning you can glide away the calories you gobbled up earlier in the day with Thanksgiving skate sessions. Admission is $15 per person and includes skate rental. 5pm to 10pm.
- The Best Bars in Greater Houston – Get out of the house and let your hair down at one or more of the best nightlife spots in the Houston metro. Find your neighborhood, city or community and find our top recommendations for fun and frolic near you.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).