Mark another year of Mexico’s independence from Spain at Mexican Fiestas Patrias events around Houston from Sunday, September 12 to Friday, September 17, 2021.
Officially, Mexico’s official patriotic independence day holidays begin the evening of September 15, kicked off by the symbolic Grito de Dolores. The name comes from Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla in the village of Dolores, whose call out (the grito) for an end to Spanish rule triggered the Mexican War of Independence in 1810.
Fifteen years later, the Republic of Mexico chose that historic event as the start of their independence, selecting the day that followed it, Diez y Seis de Septiembre, as Mexico’s Dia de la Independencia.
We’ve gathered a handful of the Fiestas Patrias events taking place around Houston, where you can catch stunning concert performances, folk dancing, and more.
Mexican Independence Day & Fiestas Patrias 2021 Events in Houston
- Fiestas Patrias 2021 at Traders Village | Sunday, September 12 | FREE – Celebrate Diez y Seis de Septiembre at this free event in Northwest Houston, featuring mariachi, regional Mexican music, cumbia, Aztec dancers, folkloric ballet, and more. Noon to 6pm.
- Fiestas Patrias Live Concerts at Escapade 2001 | Sunday, September 12 | FREE – One of several live concerts taking place across the country, this event features a dozen music acts, including La Maquinaria Norteña, La Dinastía de Tuzantla, La Leyenda, and much more. Noon to 9pm.
- Las Fiestas Patrias at PlazAmericas | Sunday, September 12 | FREE – The Sharpstown shopping plaza hosts a Sunday afternoon celebration that features actor and stand-up comedian El Indio Brayan, along with music from Dianna Torres and Mariachi Perla Tapatía, plus a performance by Meca Ballet. 1pm to 5pm.
- El Grito, featuring Cambalache at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Wednesday, September 15 | FREE | Virtual Option – The annual Grito ceremony returns to the Hermann Park stage with Cambalache, a Chicano-Jarocho group from East Los Angeles that reflects the heritage and culture of Mexico through participatory performances of music and dance. This performance can also be view online via livestream. 7:30pm.
- Fiestas Patrias at Telomarket | Friday, September 17 | FREE – In Greater Fifth Ward, the grocery store on Lyons Avenue carves out some space for a Fiestas Patrias celebration that features free food, folkloric dance performances, music and raffle prizes. 4pm to 7pm.
- Latin Festival at Pearland Town Center | Saturday, September 18 | FREE – Celebrate Latino culture with food, music, and dancing at a free, all-ages event in the heart of Pearland Town Center. 10am to 5pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).