In our My Top 5 series, we turn to the Houstonians who create and shape Houston’s character and ask them to share their own favorite things that make H-Town home. This week, we’re delighted to feature Jennifer Jones, the owner and founder of JENuine Nutrition, a holistic nutrition and wellness company.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Jennifer Jones
- Menil Park at the Menil Collection – I love my quiet times for reflecting and being out in nature. So when I’ve had a busy week I need to come down from, I’ll take a blanket and a good book and make my way to the Menil Collection and enjoy the outdoor green space. It’s a great way for me to relax and recharge.
- Buy Black Market at Shrine of the Black Madonna in South Side – This is one of my favorite markets to go to on Saturdays. It has so many amazing vendors with so many amazing products, from local honey, to African cloth/jewelry, to natural skincare products and more! It’s a great place to shop and support local Black-owned businesses.
- Memorial Park – Being an athlete, I love staying active and I love the outdoors. So what better place than Memorial Park for the best of both worlds? They have so many activities to choose from and they just recently added volleyball courts and the new Eastern Glades space. Depending on what mood I’m in, I love taking a walk on the trails or hitting some tennis or golf balls. It’s a great place to get your active and outdoor fix.
- Blodgett Urban Gardens in Third Ward – I have somewhat of a green thumb (thanks, Mom!) and I’m a proud plant parent of 12. And since I love being outdoors with Mother Nature, I wanted to step up my gardening game a bit, so I started volunteering at the Blodgett Urban Gardens. This is a local garden located in Third Ward of Houston that provides food and volunteering opportunities for the community. You can volunteer or purchase the latest harvest on Saturdays from 9am to 1pm.
- Meals on Wheels – I love giving back and Meals on Wheels is the perfect fit. It’s a program that delivers hot meals to the older demographic that is often tossed away and forgotten—for many of whom, the delivery person is their only human contact. It’s been such a blessing to help brighten the day of each person on my route.
About Jennifer Jones
Jennifer Jones is the owner and founder of JENuine Nutrition, a holistic nutrition & wellness company that utilizes nutrition psychology to help men and women change their relationship with food and love themselves to better health. She was born and raised in Alabama, started her business in Miami and moved to Houston in 2015 to rebrand and restructure her business. She is an athlete, intuitive, healer, entrepreneur, lover of animals and nature and she loves living out her purpose, which is helping people become the best version of themselves through better health.