Take a tour of H-Town’s weekend highlights with the 365 Houston guide to the best things to do in Houston this weekend, from Friday, August 27 to Sunday, August 29, 2021.
Every weekend, Houston has plenty of happenings to be found around town—but which ones are the highlights that can help you plan an enjoyable weekend of outings?
We’ve whittled down our extensive Weekend Guide to offer you some of our favorite things to look forward to from Friday to Sunday.
Looking for more things to do? Dig deeper for all of our weekend picks with the 365 Houston Weekend Guide, or comb through our Calendar for even more events, activities, and things to do this weekend.
The 12 Best Things to Do in Houston This Weekend
- Indie Chefs Collaboration Dinner at Heights House Hotel | Thursday, August 26; Friday, August 27 & Sunday, August 29 – With plans for its two-week, 200+ chef COMMUNE Food Festival pushed to March 2022, this preview weekend offers a chance to enjoy 12-course meals from world renown chefs ahead of the big show next year. Tickets are $225 per person. 6:30pm each night.
- 2021 Autograph Show of Texas at Pasadena Fair Grounds Campbell Center | Friday, August 27 to Sunday, August 29 – Bring some of your favorite memorabilia for autographs and snap a photo with huge figures in the sports world including Mike Tyson, Rudy Tomjanovich, WWE’s Kane, Dennis Rodman, Julio Cesar Chavez, Andre Johnson, Ric Flair, and much more. Admission is $10; free for ages under 12. Autographs and photos are separate costs per guest. Times vary.
- Downtown Neighbors’ Hangout, with Swimwear Department and Henry Invisible at Discovery Green | Friday, August 27 | FREE – The Downtown centerpiece park space hosts a neighborly hangout with beer from Saint Arnold Brewing Company and live music from Swimwear Department and Henry Invisible. 6:30pm.
- Rod Wave at Bayou Music Center | Friday, August 27 – After the March 2021 release of his Billboard No. 1 album, SoulFly, Rod Wave heads out on tour in what is one of the most anticipated shows of the month. Tickets range from $43 to more than $200, but you may find better or cheaper tickets using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Super Saturday Vaccination Day at Schools Around Greater Houston | Saturday, August 28 | FREE – Mayor Sylvester Turner’s office has organized a free, public vaccine drive, inviting students and families to get vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to save lives and overcome the pandemic. Clinics take place at different schools around Greater Houston on Saturdays in August. New schools may be added, so check the schedule for updates. Vaccines are free for everyone age 12 and older. Parental consent is required for minors. No appointment needed. 8am to 4pm.
- NFL Preseason: Houston Texans vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers at NRG Stadium | Saturday, August 28 – The Texans return to the field at NRG Stadium in their final preseason matchup, facing the Super Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers, led by Tom Brady. Tickets range from $59 to more than $165, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- JH-Town Weekend: James Harden & Friends Charity Concert at Bayou Music Center | Saturday, August 28 – James Harden’s JH-Town Weekend returns with a surprise concert lineup of talent from the rap and hip-hop world. Previous JH-Town Weekend events have included appearances by Nipsey Hussle, Travis Scott, Meek Mill, 21 Savage, and more. Tickets range from $13 to $32. 7pm.
- Memory Builds the Monument Film Screening at Moonstruck Drive-In | Saturday, August 28 | FREE – This free screening of a new documentary by Isaac Yowman explores Club Matinee, one of the premiere nightclubs of Houston’s 5th Ward which saw the likes of James Brown, Ray Charles, and Aretha Franklin grace the stage. A Q&A with the filmmaker will follow the screening. 8pm.
- Brewsology Beer Fest at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Saturday, August 28 – This boozy beer and science hybrid will feature dozens of local craft breweries and cideries, with access throughout the museum, beer samplings, brewery reps, food, and more. General admission is $50 and includes beer samples and museum access, with early access and VIP upgrades available. 7pm to 11pm.
- Libby & Zoe’s Delicatexan with Daddy Jimbo Kanan at Heights House Hotel | Sunday, August 29 – As part of the COMMUNE food festival preview, Libby Willis and Houston native Zoe Kanan collaborate on a Jewish Deli pop-up which includes a choice of brisket or smoked turkey leg with potato cheese kugel, carrot apple slaw, and pickles; a bagel with a salad or schmear; doughnuts; and seltzer. Tickets are $50, which goes toward your first $50 spent on food and beverages, and are good for ticket holder and a guest. 11:30am to 3:30pm.
- JH-Town Weekend: Celebrity Softball Game at Reckling Park on Rice University | Sunday, August 29 | FREE – Team Harden takes on Team Cactus Jack, also known as H-Town’s Travis Scott, in a celebrity softball game on the campus of Rice University to cap off another year of JH-Town Weekend celebration. 1:30pm.
- The 8th Wonder Comedy Hour at the Secret Group | Sunday, August 29 – Close out the weekend by laughing it up at the 8th Wonder Comedy Hour, a set featuring multiple local comedians and hosted by Josh Stokes, at the Secret Group in EaDo. Tickets are $5; $8 includes an 8th Wonder beer with exclusive pint glass. 6pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).