Make the most of your week with our top picks and things to do this week in Houston from Monday, August 23 to Sunday, August 29, 2021.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Let us know at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll below to find great things happening in Houston from Monday, August 23 to Sunday, August 29, 2021.
Top 15 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- PlumpJack Collection Wine Dinner at Mastro’s | Tuesday, August 24 – Mastro’s Steakhouse in Uptown is teaming up with the PlumpJack Collection of Wineries for a nationwide winemaker dinner event to showcase the legendary wine portfolio. Expect a five-course menu including dishes like Bone Marrow topped with Alaska King Crab paired with the 2019 PlumpJack Reserve Chardonnay, and a Ribeye Steak with creamed spinach and mashed potatoes paired with a trio of 2018 PlumpJack Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, 2017 CADE Estate Cabernet Sauvignon and 2018 Odette Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Tickets are $350 per person. 7pm to 10pm.
- Third Ward Special at Community Artists’ Collective | Thursday, August 26 to Saturday, August 28 | FREE – Take a tour of Houston’s iconic Third Ward neighborhood through the lens of 6 local artists and photographers with deep roots in the area. Featured artists include Marc Furi, Flash Gordon Parks, Rabéa Ballin, Risky Cereal, Brian Ellison, and Derrell Boson. This exhibit will be on display through Saturday, September 25, 2021. Noon to 5pm.
- Candlelight Ballet: Songs from Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker & More at Sanman Studios | Thursday, August 26 – The Listeso String Quartet joins with ballerinas from Ad Deum Dance Company for an evening of intimate performance by flickering candlelight, featuring songs from Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker and others. Tickets are $55. 6:30pm.
- COMMUNE Food Festival Preview at Heights House Hotel | Thursday, August 26; Friday, August 27 & Sunday, August 29 – Dine to your heart’s content during a new three-night series featuring Indie Chef Collaboration Dinners, including Lucky Danger with Tim Ma and Andrew Choiu, Libby & Zoe’s Delicatexan with Daddy Jimbo Kanan, and more in a 7,500 sq-ft outdoor space. $40 to $375. Times vary.
- Galveston Island eSports Summit at Galveston Island Convention Center | Friday, August 27 to Sunday, August 29 – Immerse yourself in a weekend of competitive gaming filled with cosplayers, panels, eSports celebrities, virtual reality experiences, gaming stations, and an exhibit hall filled with gaming publishers and developers, local crafts, artisans and more. Day passes start at $40 and vary by day; weekend passes are $135. Times vary.
- 2021 Autograph Show of Texas at Pasadena Fair Grounds Campbell Center | Friday, August 27 to Sunday, August 29 – Bring some of your favorite memorabilia for autographs and snap a photo with huge figures in the sports world including Mike Tyson, Rudy Tomjanovich, WWE’s Kane, Dennis Rodman, Julio Cesar Chavez, Andre Johnson, Ric Flair, and much more. Admission is $10; free for ages under 12. Autographs and photos are separate costs per guest. Times vary.
- Super Saturday Vaccination Day at Schools Around Greater Houston | Saturday, August 28 | FREE – Mayor Sylvester Turner’s office has organized a free, public vaccine drive, inviting students and families to get vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to save lives and overcome the pandemic. Clinics take place at different schools around Greater Houston on Saturdays in August. New schools may be added, so check the schedule for updates. Vaccines are free for everyone age 12 and older. Parental consent is required for minors. No appointment needed. 8am to 4pm.
- Harlem Globetrotters at Fertitta Center | Saturday, August 28 (Postponed) – Basketball wizardry is back on display when the Harlem Globetrotters return to play at University of Houston’s Fertitta Center for two games of hoops magic. Tickets range from $23 to $135, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 2pm and 7pm.
- NFL Preseason: Houston Texans vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers at NRG Stadium | Saturday, August 28 – The Texans return to the field at NRG Stadium in their final preseason matchup, facing the Super Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers, led by Tom Brady. Tickets range from $59 to more than $165, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Brewsology Beer Fest at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Saturday, August 28 – This boozy beer and science hybrid will feature dozens of local craft breweries and cideries, with access throughout the museum, beer samplings, brewery reps, food, and more. General admission is $50 and includes beer samples and museum access, with early access and VIP upgrades available. 7pm to 11pm.
- Memory Builds the Monument Film Screening at Moonstruck Drive-In | Saturday, August 28 | FREE – This free screening of a new documentary by Isaac Yowman explores Club Matinee, one of the premiere nightclubs of Houston’s 5th Ward which saw the likes of James Brown, Ray Charles, and Aretha Franklin grace the stage. A Q&A with the filmmaker will follow the screening. 8pm.
- Los Chicos Del 512: The Selena Experience at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Saturday, August 28 | FREE | Virtual Option – Relive the star power and magic of Selena in this dynamic tribute concert that promises an evening of singing and dancing that will have the whole family cheering along. A livestream of the performance will be available on Miller Outdoor’s YouTube channel. 8:30pm.
- JH-Town Weekend Celebrity Softball Game at Reckling Park on Rice University | Sunday, August 29 | FREE – Team Harden takes on Team Cactus Jack, also known as H-Town’s Travis Scott, in a celebrity softball game on the campus of Rice University to cap off another year of JH-Town Weekend celebration. 1:30pm.
- Houston Dash vs. Racing Louisville FC at BBVA Stadium | Sunday, August 29 – Swing by the EaDo stadium for a special evening where Dash fans can welcome home Gold and Bronze-medal winning Olympiads from Canada (Sophie Schmidt, Allysha Chapman, and Nichelle Prince) and the United States (Jane Campbell and Kristie Mewis). Tickets range from $7 to more than $50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 6:30pm.
- Jim Gaffigan at Smart Financial Centre | Sunday, August 29 – The renown deadpan comedian, actor, and writer returns to the stage with his 2021 The Fun Tour. His last time through Sugar Land sold out, so act fast to snag your tickets for an uproarious set of all new material from the popular comic. Tickets range from $49 to more than $100. 7pm.
Save on Houston Museum & Brewery Passes
More Things to Do in Houston
- More Options on Our Calendar – Explore more online entertainment, limited events and other options online and around Houston.
- Things to Do at Home – Dig into a wide range of activities, entertainment, dining “out” at home options and more to do from the comfort of your own digs.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).