Take a tour of H-Town’s weekend highlights with the 365 Houston guide to the best things to do in Houston this weekend, from Friday, August 20 to Sunday, August 22, 2021.
Every weekend, Houston has plenty of happenings to be found around town—but which ones are the highlights that can help you plan an enjoyable weekend of outings?
We’ve whittled down our extensive Weekend Guide to offer you some of our favorite things to look forward to from Friday to Sunday.
Looking for more things to do? Dig deeper for all of our weekend picks with the 365 Houston Weekend Guide, or comb through our Calendar for even more events, activities, and things to do this weekend.
The 12 Best Things to Do in Houston This Weekend
- DaCamera presents SummerJazz 2021 at Multiple Venues | Friday, August 20 to Sunday, August 22 – This three-day program features some of the best artists in global jazz, including the powerful vocals of Dianne Reeves, the Latin groove of the Grammy-winning Dafnis Prieto Big Band, and breakout trumpeter Marquis Hill, along with other family concerts and after parties. Passes available by the show or for the entire weekend. Tickets start at $37.50; some events are free. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Astros vs. Seattle Mariners at Minute Maid Park | Friday, August 20 to Sunday, August 22 – This three-game weekend series includes giveaways to the first 10,000 fans such as a Kyle Tucker Batting bobblehead, Zack Grienke bobblehead, or an Alex Bregman replica jersey. $15 to more than $175, but you may find better or cheaper seats on the TicketNetwork marketplace. Times vary.
- Re-Entry Weekend at Station Improv & Sketch Comedy Theater | Friday, August 20 & Saturday, August 21 – The First Ward improv spot on Houston Avenue reopens with a weekend of comedy shows, sketches, and introductory classes. Both nights feature several programs and sketches, such as Friday’s Supernova Improv & Storytelling which will feature special guest, Dr. Peter J. Hotez. $12 per show. Showtimes vary.
- Food Truck Fridays & Movie Series at Oyster Creek Park in Sugar Land | Friday, August 20 | FREE – Settle in for a film, food, and fun at the City of Sugar Land’s Food Truck Friday. A variety of sweet and savory food trucks will be on-site and a screening of A Dog’s Journey will be projected at the Oyster Creek amphitheater. 6pm.
- Family Movie Night featuring The Sandlot at CityPlace | Friday, August 20 | FREE – Hang out with the kids of The Sandlot for a family-friendly movie screening at CityPlace in Spring. Pick up some snacks at adjacent dining spots, lay down a blanket, and enjoy the show. Free to attend, RSVP encouraged. 8pm.
- Super Saturday Vaccination Day at Schools Around Greater Houston | Saturday, August 21 | FREE – Mayor Sylvester Turner’s office has organized a free, public vaccine drive, inviting students and families to get vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to save lives and overcome the pandemic. Clinics take place at different schools around Greater Houston on Saturdays in August. New schools may be added, so check the schedule for updates. Vaccines are free for everyone age 12 and older. Parental consent is required for minors. No appointment needed. 8am to 4pm.
- 34th Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition at East Beach in Galveston | Saturday, August 21 | FREE – Take in the meticulously crafted sand sculptures that pop up along East Beach as part of the 34th annual AIA Sandcastle Competition. Themes include Traditional Castle, Nursery Rhymes, Video Games, Animal Kingdom, and more. Snack bar will be open and food trucks will be available on-site. Sculptures will remain on the beach through the weekend. Though free, parking is $15 (cash only) at East Beach. 10am.
- BLCK Market Food & Beverage Xpo at Buffalo Soldiers National Museum | Saturday, August 21 – The twice-monthly BLCK Market hosts a special Xpo edition this month, which takes place on a quarterly basis and provides an industry-focused marketplace for Black-owned small businesses and vendors. This event will focus on food and beverage providers in Houston. Limited quantities of free tickets are available; $5 after that. 1pm to 5pm.
- 5th Anniversary Party at White Oak Music Hall | Saturday, August 21 | FREE – The Near Northside venue celebrates 5 years of live music with a free show featuring perfromances from Hiram (DJ set), Ruckus, and Camera Cult, plus ticket giveaways, drink specials, birthday cake, and more. Free for 21+; $5 for ages under 21. 7pm.
- Rhymin’ N Stealin’ in Concert at Lagoonfest Texas | Saturday, August 21 – Earn your “License to Ill” while soaking it up at an oasis when Lagoonfest Texas’ Summer Concert Series presents a live, outdoor, lagoon-side concert from Beastie Boys tribute band, Rhymin’ N Stealin’. Concert tickets allow guests 2 hours to check out the lagoon before the show. $18. 7pm to 10pm.
- Kesha, with Betty Who at Bayou Music Center | Saturday, August 21 – The electro pop artist brings songs from her latest release, 2020’s High Road, as she tours through the Downtown venue. $49.50 to more than $150, but you may find better or cheaper tickets using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Karbach Backyard Olympics at Karbach Brewing Co. | Sunday, August 22 – Battle it out for gold, silver, or bronze while sipping on tasty brew and playing games like ring toss, 3-legged races, cornhole, skeeball, and more at the Karbach Backyard Olympics. There will be 10 individual competitions plus a Charity Challenge benefiting Southern Smoke Foundation. $40. 11am to 4pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday.
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).