Our My Top 5 series highlights Houstonians who are actively creating our city’s character and culture, and spotlights their own favorite activities and the things they do in their free time. This summer, we’ve partnered with Comcast to feature six local people-of-color-owned small businesses that have benefited from the Comcast RISE program and riff on our normal series while we showcase the highlighted local business owners.
This week, we’re very pleased to feature Rosalind “Roz” Moore, founder of Perfect Touch Promotions, and showcase her favorite things to do when she’s not hard at work.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Rosalind “Roz” Moore
- Off the Vine Bistro – The Best kept secret, Off the Vine serves up pure, fresh, and local food. Owned and operated by Namita Asthan, it’s where I go to escape the hustle and bustle and enjoy great healthy food and fine wine. It has become my neighborhood hangout, where everybody knows my name. It’s also a participant in Fort Bend County’s We All Eat Texas program, which provides free to-go meals from local restaurants to county residents experiencing food insecurity due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Oyster Creek Park – This is where Beau (my mixed lab rescue dog) and I go to walk, run and play. This Sugar Land park is known for its serene atmosphere of quiet paths and splashing water fountains. It’s a wonderful place to visit, but remember your baby must be on a leash. The Water Works in Buffalo Bayou Park is another favorite park. The view of Downtown Houston is spectacular and a great place for an intimate picnic for you and your Sweetie. I hosted the sixth annual Diner en Blanc at Water Works in 2019 and it was breathtaking.
- Henderson & Kane General Store – Whenever I host dinner for my parents, sister, and nieces and nephews, the first stop is Henderson & Kane General Store. They have the best ribs, chicken, and salsa, and the dessert is to die for… All locally sourced. And the staff gives you good ol’ southern hospitality. My next stop is H-E-B, the best grocery store in town. My local H-E-B has everything I need and then some… fresh produce, baked breads, sushi made on the spot. And did I mention the wine selection?
- The Post Oak Hotel – When I want to get away and escape from my daily grind, I check into the Post Oak Hotel, the only five star hotel and spa in Texas. It feels like I’m a thousand miles away. The accommodations are luxurious, the spa is amazing, and the food is delicious. But your stay is not complete unless you hang by the pool in a private cabana.
- Lowe’s – Since Covid, I’m learning to do everything on my own. I’ve become obsessed with the curb appeal of my home and I love getting yard of the month! Lowe’s has everything I need, from pool supplies to pathway lights. Not to mention the prettiest plants and flowers to make my yard a beautiful place when I do my staycations.
About Roz Moore & Perfect Touch Promotions
Rosalind Moore, known as Roz to most, is a fundraiser, negotiator and event strategist. The founder of Perfect Touch Promotions, she’s been planning special events, conferences, meetings, and platinum weddings for more than 25 years. Her team creates customized events reflecting their clients’ individual brand personalities. Born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska, she’s lived in Houston for almost 25 years. “Houston is my home and by the grace of God, my parents and my only Sister made their way here as well. So family dinners happen almost every week. I love my life!”
Learn More About Comcast RISE & Apply
This special My Top 5 article is part of a limited 6-part series presented by Comcast. Comcast RISE was formed in late 2020 to give people of color small business owners the tools needed to not just survive, but thrive.
People of color small businesses owners in Houston are encouraged to review the eligibility details and apply for the program. Review and apply now.
Houston Comcast RISE Awardees
Throughout the month of July and August 2021, Comcast will release video and pictorial announcements celebrating a select group of Comcast RISE recipients. These Houston businesses received an Investment Fund grant, technology, and, or marketing resources as a part of the Comcast RISE program. Features will be displayed on Comcast social channels and spotlighted through 365 Houston‘s My Top 5 series.
This special My Top 5 was sponsored by Comcast. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Learn about promoting your event, service or business.