Our My Top 5 series spotlights Houstonians shaping the character and culture of our city, asking them to share their own favorite activities and distractions in their personal time. This summer, we’ve partnered with Comcast to feature six local people-of-color-owned small businesses that have benefited from the Comcast RISE program and riff on our normal series while we showcase the highlighted local business owners.
This week, we’re very pleased to feature Deniz Lopez and Andrew “Drew” Evans, owners of All Real Radio, a Houston Comcast RISE awardee. While we normally feature individual Houstonians, this limited series showcases input from one or more business owners participating in Comcast RISE.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Andrew Evans & Deniz Lopez
- Hermann Park – Drew said, “Whether it’s getting a good walk in on the park’s trails, flying a kite, or catching a dope show on the hill at Miller Outdoor Theatre, Hermann Park is a great place for fresh air and to see the diversity of the city.” Deniz said, “McGovern Centennial Garden is my go to for clearing my mind when I’m busy. It’s so conveniently located in our Museum District and near our eateries, and it has my daughter’s absolute favorite thing—the Hermann Park train that takes you throughout the entire gorgeous landscape of the park.
- Palm Center Farmers Market – We know that the pandemic made the farmer’s market take a bit of a pause, but we also know that Palm Center did what they could during the pandemic to continue to provide healthy, farm fresh food to the community. They conduct cooking classes and mentor those that want to learn to plant. We love the work and support when we can!
- Mo’ Better Brews – This place is new, but the vibe is unmatched! Do yourself a favor and go try delicious, all-real vegan food with a curated playlist that works alongside it! Walking through the gorgeous outdoor garden archway leading into the eatery is transformative. We have enjoyed Mo’ Better Brews for business meetings and have taken our families back! It’s quickly becoming a favorite.
- The Shack on Reed Road – Though it’s a bit of a drive off the beaten Inner Loop path for many, we had to mention this barbecue spot. You walk into a door that leads to what looks like a small living room with one table, a hot plate counter, and an order window. But this family-owned business knows how to make you feel right at home. Wonderful service, amazing barbeque, and a whole outside covered seating area where you can munch on your food. The Shack is a Sunnyside gem and we love that they also host community events dealing with civic engagement, music, and family fun.
- The Pop Up Place – The Almeda block is popping in Houston and this sculptural garden venue is one of our favorite places to pop up! The Pop Up Place was founded by artist Charles Washington back in 2017, where he turned a dilapidated structure into a bio-aware hangout space. The Pop Up Place has hosted DJ parties, art classes, birthday parties, baby showers, farmers markets, and is just a relaxing place to sit in the midst of the busy block. We love that the venue is always changing so it will hardly ever look the same as the last time you visited. We take our own food and drinks (for now, because the venue is growing) and just enjoy Third Ward / Midtown!
About All Real Radio
All Real Radio, a 24/7 online radio station, was founded by Anthony “Zin” Mills and Deniz Lopez. It’s currently owned and operated by Lopez and Andrew “Drew” Evans, who stepped in after Zin passed away. Through their amazing shows and community engagement, All Real Radio serves as a platform for community and musicians by cultivating Houston as a hub for future creatives.
Learn More About Comcast RISE & Apply
This special My Top 5 article is part of a limited 6-part series presented by Comcast. Comcast RISE was formed in late 2020 to give people of color small business owners the tools needed to not just survive, but thrive.
People of color small businesses owners in Houston are encouraged to review the eligibility details and apply for the program. Review and apply now.
Houston Comcast RISE Awardees
Throughout the month of July and August 2021, Comcast will release video and pictorial announcements celebrating a select group of Comcast RISE recipients. These Houston businesses received an Investment Fund grant, technology, and, or marketing resources as a part of the Comcast RISE program. Features will be displayed on Comcast social channels and spotlighted through 365 Houston‘s My Top 5 series.
This special My Top 5 was sponsored by Comcast. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Learn about promoting your event, service or business.