Keep the summer sizzle going with the best kid-friendly things to do in and around Houston this week from Monday, August 2 to Sunday, August 8, 2021.
This week, make the most of it for the kiddos with a close up look at talented artists, a free family night at a children’s museum, an event dedicated to people with disabilities, a sweet run for the family, and much more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll below to find great things for kids and families happening in Houston from Monday, August 2 to Sunday, August 8, 2021.
Top 9 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Week
- Houston Artists Murals at Discovery Green | Ongoing | FREE – Bring the kiddos to a photo-worthy mural spectacle, featuring works from 13 Houston artists that celebrate the richness and diversity of our community, culture, and natural environment. The artists, which include DUAL, Melissa Aytenfisu, Kill Joy, Meenr, and others were chosen for their designs that envision the Houston we want to see and inspire us to create that shared future together. 6am to 11pm daily.
- Lagoonfest Texas in Texas City | Wednesday, August 4 to Sunday, August 8 – Cool off at a summer celebration destination featuring the largest lagoon in the state, plus white sand beaches, bars, boats, live music, an electric ferry, a catapult swing, a massive floating obstacle course, and more. Single day passes are $20; $15 for ages 3 to 12; free for ages 2 and under. Ticket prices vary based on the day of the week and demand. 10am to 7pm daily.
- Houston Abilities Expo at NRG Center | Friday, August 6 to Sunday, August 8 | FREE – This free expo serves as a source for the community of people with disabilities and their families, older adults, veterans, and healthcare professionals. While here, check out the artist market that features works from artists with disabilities, discovery ability-enhancing products and services, play a few adaptive sports, learn new dance moves, and more. There are also kid-friendly activities and events like face painting and special entertainment. While free to attend, parking is $15 per vehicle. Friday and Saturday 11am to 5pm; Sunday 11am to 4pm.
- Watermelon Dash 5k and 10K at Houston Running Company | Saturday, August 7 – Close out the Summer Dash series with this third and final 5K, 10K, and KidsK event. Participants will receive a special finishers medal and t-shirt, plus you can join in on the fun with a family-friendly post-race party featuring food, drink, music, and more. Limited race day registration is $40 for the 5K and 10K (in-person or virtual), $20 for the KidsK and Family Walk. 7:30am.
- Shake Your Summer Sillies Out with Cars at the Woodlands Children’s Museum | Saturday, August 7 – Snap a photo with real-life versions of Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater from Disney’s Cars, and enjoy a chill out treat from Cheri’s N’awlins Sneaux Bawls in the Woodlands. $10; $5 for museum members. 10am to 3pm.
- Tanabata Japanese Star Festival at Children’s Museum Houston | Saturday, August 7 – Take in a classic Japanese legend and enjoy an interactive story telling experience, hang a wish on a bamboo tree, and try your hand at making stars with an origami lesson at this celebration from the Consulate General of Japan. Included with general admission; $12 for ages 1 and up; free for ages under 1. 10am to 3pm.
- Back to School Splash Bash at Sugar Land Town Square | Saturday, August 7 | FREE – Close out the summer with some fun in the sun at this Back to School Splash Bash that features free waterslides, a hula hoop contest, a live DJ, toddler play for ages 5 and under, and other fun summer activities. Visitors are encouraged to bring a back pack and school supplies for donations. 11am to 2pm.
- Summer Block Party at Levy Park | Sunday, August 8 | FREE – Get outside and enjoy the third and final Summer Block Party in the evening, which has been offering family-friendly fun like live music from DJ Mohawk Steve, bubble stations, games, and children’s activities. 5pm to 9pm.
- Summer with the Kids Around Houston | Ongoing – With only weeks of summer left for the kiddos, it’s time to head out to all corners of Houston and uncover the best entertainment and things to do for everyone in the family, from free and budget-friendly options to one-of-a-kind experiences. Check out our Summer guide for how to keep the kids, and yourselves, busy during the dog days of Summer.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).