Bust a gut at these must-see live comedy shows and events in Houston for August 2021.
This month, a local improv theater reopens to the public and Houston plays host to a slate of top notch comedians from the worlds of television, film, and internet.
Here are our picks for the month’s top nights to tickle your funny bone:
Top 10 Live Comedy Events This Month: August 2021
- Nacho Redondo at Houston Improv | Sunday, August 1 – The Venezuelan stand-up comic and podcast host of “Escuela de Nada” swings through the Houston Improv for a special one night–only performance while on his 2021 US tour. Please note this performance will be in Spanish. Tickets are sold by the table and range from $58 for 2 people to $174 for 6 people. 7:30pm.
- Kurt Braunohler at the Secret Group | Friday, August 6 – Known for his special on Comedy Central and collaborations with Kristen Schaal, including multiple voices on Bob’s Burgers, the comic makes his way to EaDo for an evening of laughs. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 day of the show. 8pm.
- Jesus Trejo at Houston Improv | Wednesday, August 11 – The LA-based comedian, who most recently released his first hour-long stand-up special on Showtime, Stay At Home Son, stops by the Houston Improv with a new set. Tickets are sold by the table and range from $40 for 2 people to $120 for 6 people. Preferred tables that are closer to the stage range from $50 for 2 to $150 for 6. 8pm.
- Damon Wayans at Houston Improv | Thursday, August 12 to Sunday, August 15 – From In Living Color to My Wife and Kids and 3 seasons on Fox’s Lethal Weapon television series, the beloved stand-up comedian, actor, and writer makes a stop in H-Town while on his Just Sayin’ tour for four nights of outrageous comedy. Tickets are sold by the table and range from $90 for 2 people to $270 for 6 people. Preferred tables that are closer to the stage range from $110 for 2 to $330 for 6. Times vary.
- The Riot Comedy Show presents Gianmarco Soresi at Rudyard’s | Friday, August 13 and Saturday, August 14 – The New York-based comedian, actor, and writer takes to touring his new material, making a two-night stop at the Montrose British pub. General admission tickets are $15 (reserved GA tables range from $35 for 2 people to $95 for 6 people); VIP tables range from $45 for 2 people to $105 for 6 people. 7:30pm and 10pm both nights.
- Dan Cummins at the Secret Group | Friday, August 20 – After a pandemic delay to his 2020 Toxic Thoughts tour, the popular comedian and podcast host of Timesuck takes to EaDo stage for two performances. Tickets start at $27 in advance, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm and 9pm.
- Re-Entry Weekend at Station Improv & Sketch Comedy Theater | Friday, August 20 and Saturday, August 21 – The First Ward improv spot on Houston Avenue reopens with a weekend of comedy shows, sketches, and introductory classes. Both nights feature several programs and sketches, such as Friday’s Supernova Improv & Storytelling which will feature special guest, Dr. Peter J. Hotez. Tickets are $12 per show. Times vary.
- Hannah Berner at Houston Improv | Thursday, August 26 – After bursting onto the comedy scene through social media, Hannah Berner went on to feature for multiple seasons in Bravo’s Chat Room and Summer House. Now, she hits the road to deliver her comic chops at the Improv stage. Tickets are sold by the table and range from $40 for 2 people to $120 for 6 people. Preferred tables that are closer to the stage range from $60 for 2 to $180 for 6. 8pm.
- Sofia Niño de Rivera at House of Blues | Saturday, August 28 – The Mexico City comic is known for her multiple Spanish-language Netflix specials and her role on the network’s comedy-drama, Club de Cuervos. Downtown’s House of Blues will welcome her to the stage for one night only. Please note that this performance will be in Spanish. Tickets range from $65 to $129. 8pm.
- Jim Gaffigan at Smart Financial Centre | Sunday, August 29 – The renown deadpan comedian, actor, and writer returns to the stage with his 2021 The Fun Tour. His last time through Sugar Land sold out, so act fast to snag your tickets for an uproarious set of all new material from the popular comic. Tickets range from $49 to more than $100. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).