In our Must Do Things Around Greater Houston series, we take a look at Houston’s vast array of communities, neighborhoods and destinations to bring you five fun, tasty, surprising and enticing reasons you should give each one a visit.
Just 20 or so miles from Downtown, this oft-overlooked area is surrounded by bodies of water—like Clear Lake, Clear Creek, and Galveston Bay—and booming with fun. While you should definitely consider renting a boat or jet ski and get out on Clear Lake itself, that’s not all it has to offer.
Here are 5 other awesome things to do in the ‘hood (and click here for even more hidden gems in the area).
Note: For the purposes of this list, Clear Lake is the area in and surrounding the neighborhoods of Clear Lake, Webster, and Nassau Bay.
5 Must Do Things in the Clear Lake Area
- Explore the Johnson Space Center – Fun fact: Did you know the line “Houston, we have a problem” quoted in Apollo 13 isn’t exactly right. The words were actually “Houston, we’ve had a problem here.” Not as catchy, but we digress. This being Space City and all, you really can’t consider yourself a true Houstonian until you’ve checked out all of the awesomeness NASA has to offer. Hit the Space Center to marvel at massive rockets like the full-scale, 122-foot long and 54-foot high replica of the Space Shuttle; the colossal, 36-story tall Saturn V; and a mission-flown Falcon 9 SpaceX rocket. Plus, you can take a glimpse into life on the International Space Station, embark on a tram tour of the facilities and see the historic Mission Control, and check out a plethora of other attractions and special exhibitions. Click here for directions.
- Eat around the world – After exploring all things out-of-this-world at the Space Center, it’s only fair to explore this world’s delights. And what better way to do that than through food? Slurp tonkotsu ramen with scratchmade noodles at Jinya Ramen Bar; discover a symphony of Indian flavors at Noon Mirch; go full Cajun/Creole with boudin and crawfish etouffee at Abe’s Cajun Market; tempt your taste buds with fiery foods at Thai Spice; get fresh falafel, souvlaki and moussaka at Mediterraneo Market and Cafe; or go for all-American smokehouse style at Pappas Deltas Blues.
- Go fishing, hiking, or wildlife-watching on Nassau Bay – It may be on the smaller side, but Nassau Bay has no shortage of picturesque parks and green spaces at which to get your nature on. The peninsula boasts a natural wetland area complete with a newly installed nature trail, Lake Nassau Park and Founders Park are perfect for fishing, and you’ll find a walking trail and flower gardens at Howard L. Park. Click here for directions.
- Scout out new music at Scout Bar – Some of the coolest local and national acts make their way to this grungy music bar, from well-known heavy metal bands to up-and-coming punk rock acts that may just be the next big thing. Grab a cold one and get ready for a night of rock. Click here for directions. And click here for more awesome watering holes in the Bay Area.
- See what happens when craft beer meets Vietnamese eats at Nobi Public House – One of Houston’s finest craft beer pubs lies in an unassuming strip mall in Webster. Even better? Not only does Nobi Public House play host to a killer 200+ bottle and draft beer program that rivals any in the loop, they also raise the bar with fantastic Vietnamese-fusion pub grub. That means you can sip your suds with char-grilled pork fries, sweet chili wings and a fragrant bowl of Sunday-only pho. If the amalgamation of craft beer and Vietnamese-inspired food doesn’t define Houston, we don’t know what does. Click here for directions.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed 5 days a week).