In our My Top 5 series, we turn to the Houstonians who create and shape Houston’s character and ask them to share their own favorite things that make H-Town home. This week, we’re delighted to feature Raz Halili, owner of Pier 6 Seafood & Oyster House and Pier 6 Bungalows in San Leon, as well as Vice President of Prestige Oysters.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Raz Halili
- Coffee at Agora – For more than a decade now, Agora has been my favorite café. When I’m in the city, I always make time to stop by, press pause, and enjoy a coffee solo or with friends. Agora is a proper café, always filled with diverse people, conversing or enjoying time to themselves. It has all the vibes of a European café that I miss from Kosovo.
- A Night Out – I’ve always enjoyed a night out and Houston offers some of the best nightlife in the country. The Clé Group has created numerous concepts, and they bring in the world’s top DJs. Their parties are always something special.
- Soccer – I participated in almost every sport accessible to me growing up, and no sport compares to the love I have for soccer. A pickup game at HTX Sports Creek in East Downtown overlooking the Houston skyline is something I always look forward to.
- Houston Parks – During the lockdown, escaping to one of Houston’s many parks with my wife and daughter became an enjoyable routine. It’s a habit that has stuck with us. Getting away from the stress of life and just being in the moment creates balance. Two of our favorites are Hermann Park and Buffalo Bayou Park.
- Black Swan Yoga – When I can find the time, I enjoy struggling through a hot yoga class at Black Swan Yoga, followed by a fresh juice from Juiceland.
About Raz Halili
A second-generation oysterman and vice president of his family’s world-renowned fishery, Prestige Oysters, Raz Halili values hard work and close-knit family. A native of San Leon, TX, Halili grew up working on fishing boats and docks, kicking around soccer fields, and visiting his father’s homeland, Kosovo. After graduating with a bachelor’s degree in communications from Houston Baptist University where he was recruited to play Division 1 soccer, Halili returned to his roots, helping to run Prestige Oysters with his parents, and later followed his passion to open one of Houston’s hottest culinary destinations, waterfront Pier 6 Seafood & Oyster House, along with Pier 6 Bungalows, both nestled in the coastal town of San Leon. With unique access to the freshest, highest quality Gulf Coast seafood, Halili has partnered with Chef Joe Cervantez in providing diners with a tide-to-table experience unlike any other in the area, while also educating them about sustainability and Gulf water conservation, two of his other passions.