Our My Top 5 series puts the spotlight on Houstonians who are helping to form and support the character of Greater Houston, and asks them to share their favorite things to do in the city during their downtime. This week, we’re pleased to showcase Stewart Guss, personal injury attorney and founder of Houston’s Unsung Greats “HUG” Awards, who shares his five favorite Houston destinations and activities.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Stewart Guss
- Appreciate art at The Menil – With its amazing collection of Surrealistic and Dadaistic works, I truly believe The Menil Collection is one of the finest museum gems in the country. While attending law school at the University of Houston Law Center, I spent many weekends sitting in awe of the art at the Menil or in contemplation at the Rothko Chapel. Bonus: it’s always free! I always find unexpected treasures in the Menil Bookstore as well.
- Kick back at Kenny and Ziggy’s – As a kid, I spent a lot of time in NYC delis when I would visit my grandparents in the Lower East Side. Kenny and Ziggy’s on Post Oak gets it right, and brings back all the memories. Fresh bagels, great service, and generous portions—what more could you ask for?
- Hit the Barbecue Trail – For the carnivorous connoisseurs out there, it’s no secret Houston has become one of the finest barbecue destinations in the south. We have some of the best, most mouth-watering barbecue the world has ever seen, and it’s worth it to visit all the top places! My personal recommendations include Corkscrew, Tejas, and Truth BBQ. A hearty helping of mac and cheese is a must!
- Walk the Galleria – When it comes to shopping, Houston’s Galleria is unbeatable… but the people-watching can be even more spectacular! Pay a visit and enjoy an afternoon of entertainment without pulling a dime out of your pocket. The ice rink right next to the food court is my favorite place to chill out—pun intended—and appreciate the hustle and bustle of our vibrant city.
- Road trip to the Galveston Strand – My father worked for NASA and I grew up in Clear Lake, so it was always special to drive down to Galveston. It’s a piece of my childhood that I’ve incorporated in my own kids’ lives. There’s nothing better than spending a day at the beach, then strolling by the old buildings and fantastic restaurants in the Strand Historic District. Check out the Grand 1894 Opera House, or keep it casual with drinks and grub at Brews Brothers.
About Stewart Guss
Houston personal injury attorney Stewart Guss has been practicing personal injury law for over 20 years. Guss obtained his Bachelor’s Degree at the University of Texas at Austin and went on to earn his Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Houston Law Center. Since starting his own Houston personal injury law firm in 1999, he has garnered national recognition by representing clients from all over the world in the most serious and catastrophic injury claims. As a firm believer in the need to “pay it forward,” Stewart is also an active philanthropist. In addition to sponsoring annual college scholarships, he established, runs, and funds Houston’s Unsung Greats “HUG” Awards. Stewart supports numerous charities, including Reach Unlimited and the Texas MS 150, and is also a patron of the arts, underwriting both Stageworks Theater and the Gilbert and Sullivan Society of Houston. Today, Stewart lives in northwest Houston with his wife, his two teenage children, and his two dogs.