Updated Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 5:12pm.
Find the perfect things to do in H-Town this weekend with our Houston Weekend Guide for Thursday, May 20 through Sunday, May 23, 2021.
This weekend, drive up and check out traditional Polish food, drinks, and more; celebrate the grand re-opening of a Montrose dance night staple; watch the Sugar Land Skeeters battle it out against in their home opening series; sip on tasty local suds while dining on delicious pub-grub at a Jersey Village brewery; and much more.
Want to add your event? Order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day.
Things to Do All Weekend
- Sugar Land Skeeters vs. El Paso Chihuahuas at Constellation Field | Daily – Root, root, root for the Sugar Land Skeeters when they return to the field for their home opener series against the El Paso Chihuahuas in a weekend of high-energy Minor League Baseball action. $8 to $60, but you may find better, cheaper or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. Times vary.
- Comedian Brendan Schaub at Houston Improv | Thursday to Saturday – Fall out of your chair laughing when Los Angeles-based stand-up comic, podcast host, and TV personality, Brendan Schaub hits the stage at Houston Improv for five socially distanced shows. Tables of 2 to 6 range from $55 to $225. Showtimes vary.
- Stages presents Late Night Catechism Las Vegas: Sister Rolls the Dice on Zoom | Thursday to Saturday | Virtual – Continuing Stages’ popular, long-running series, Sister is back and she’s organizing the convent’s Las Vegas Night. In a performance that tackles everything from show girls to drive-through marriage chapels, this uproarious production might be virtual but expect some interactive elements as Sister keeps an eye on those tuning in. $25. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Summer Auto Show at NRG Center | Friday to Sunday – The annual car show bonanza returns, bringing some of the latest models of vehicles from top manufacturers for visitors to explore inside and out, get into test drives, admire classic car displays, and more. $10; free for ages 2 and under. Times vary.
- 2021 Taste of Poland Drive-Thru Event at Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish | Friday to Sunday | No Cover – While the Houston Polish Festival prepares for a full-force comeback in September, they’ve gotten things off to an appetizing start with a Taste of Poland drive-thru event, where attendees will be able to pull through for their traditional Polish food, drinks and vendor items in a COVID-safe environment. No cover, but drinks and food are on you. Times vary.
- 34th Annual NHRA Spring Nationals at Houston Raceway Park | Friday to Sunday – The three-day Spring Nationals competition returns, sending top fuel, funny car, and pro stock hot rods roaring down the strip at Houston Raceway Park in Baytown. $30; $100 for three-day general admission, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. Times vary.
- Mildred’s Umbrella presents Everybody’s Dead | Friday to Sunday | FREE | Virtual – Part of the company’s Femfest Houston: Virus Edition, this is the story of Annika, holed up inside her doomsday bunker. The multi-millionaire made her fortune as the CEO of a company selling doomsday prepper subscription boxes, but now she’s got cabin fever—and a sex robot—and she’s having second thoughts about everyone she left behind. Free with registration or pay-what-you-can. Stream anytime during available dates.
- The Ensemble Theatre presents Pretty Fire | Friday to Sunday | Virtual – Based on playwright Charlayne Woodard’s life, this comedy explores family dynamics and the enduring power of faith across three generations of Black women, from Albany, New York to small-town Georgia. $25. Accessible anytime during the available streaming window.
- First3Years’ 2nd Annual Baby Dash Virtual Edition | Saturday & Sunday | Virtual – First3Years is hosting its second Baby Dash with a virtual, two-day edition that helps raise money to support the healthy development of infants, toddlers, and their families. Participants can take part in the 5K and 10K run/walks, half marathon, bike rides—or even just sitting on your couch—anywhere and anytime over the weekend. Registration starts at $38.95 per person.
- 5 Must Do Things in Pearland | Daily – Check out the third largest city in the Greater Houston area while experiencing some of the city’s best barbecue, an extraordinary temple and more, while visiting our five Pearland must-dos. Times, prices, and locations vary.
- The Dr. Seuss Experience at George R. Brown Convention Center | Daily – Meet your favorite characters and tour through settings from nine of Dr. Seuss’ beloved, imaginative books come to life in a sensory spectacle at George R. Brown Convention Center in Downtown. $23; VIP tickets are $50 and allow entry at any time of the selected date purchased. Ages under 12 months are free. Times vary.
- Senate Avenue Brewing Company in Jersey Village | Daily – Toast to public service, local suds, and delicious brewpub fare at Senate Avenue Brewing Company, a neighborhood hangout in Jersey Village. Hours vary.
- Boxed Combo Meals from Antone’s Famous Po’ Boys Catering | Daily – Take your pick of 12 different delicious sandwich choices from three area locations when Antone’s catering offers up affordable boxed combos featuring beloved sandwich flavors including The Piggy and Super Original, cookies, and chips, perfect for a post-game meal, office luncheon, birthday parties, graduations and more. Boxed combos start at $9.95. 10am to 5pm daily.
- Current Temporary Museum Exhibits & Art Installations on View Around Greater Houston | Daily | Many FREE – Explore the many striking, stunning, and diverse exhibits exploring history, science, art, culture, and creativity around the Greater Houston metro area.
- More Outdoor Markets & Pop-Up Shopping Events Around Houston | Daily | Many FREE – Browse, explore, and shop at one or all of Houston’s outdoor markets, many with live entertainment, food trucks, and other distractions.
- Houston Astros Tickets at Minute Maid Park | Sponsored – Get ready for the April home opener and baseball season. Search for cheaper, better or hard-to-find seats so you can see the Houston Astros at home with the TicketNetwork online marketplace.
- Houston Dynamo FC Tickets at BBVA Stadium | Sponsored – Take to the pitch for the April season opener and a new year of soccer. Search for cheaper, better or hard-to-find seats so you can see Houston Dynamo FC at home, with the TicketNetwork online marketplace.
Thursday, May 20, 2021
- Children’s Bingo at Levy Park | FREE – Start your weekend early with a 30-minute, socially distanced game of bingo for ages 4 to 12, with cards, markers, and prizes provided by Levy Park. 4:30pm.
- Bingo on the Lawn at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center – Hit the Nature Center’s new lawn during a fun-filled evening of bingo at the Houston Arboretum, where folks can win small prizes each round. $25 for nonmembers; $20 for members; $10 for ages 17 and under. 5:30pm.
- Queen Legacy: Queen Tribute in Concert at Market Street | FREE – Hit the high notes of “Bohemian Rhapsody” when Queen Legacy graces the stage at Market Street in The Woodlands. 6pm to 8pm.
- Urban Green presents Tickets to Ride at Hermann Park | POSTPONED – [This event has been postponed to Thursday, June 3, 2021] Get outdoors with fellow 20- and 30-something Urban Green members at a spacious outdoor event where guests can ride the rails of the Hermann Park Railroad to see some twilight views, take a pedal boat out for a spin on tranquil McGovern Lake, enjoy food, and more, with proceeds going towards the stewardship and improvement of Hermann Park. $35 to $180. 6pm to 8pm.
- Nick Gaitan in Concert at One Fifth Southern Comfort | No Cover – Get down to the catchy tunes of Nick Gaitan when the Houston-based songwriter and bassist performs on the patio at Chef Chris Shepherd’s One Fifth in Montrose. 6pm to 9pm.
- Game On! at Houston Zoo – Find clues needed to escape during an adults-only, escape room-style experience at the Houston Zoo, where visitors solve puzzles to save the day while navigating the outdoor areas of the zoo. This experience will take place after-hours and food and beverage items will be available for purchase. $35 per person. 6pm to 9:30pm.
- Steak Nite at City Orchard | No Cover – Get all the fixins’ while sipping tasty local brew when City Orchard hosts a Steak Nite that includes two sides and suggested cider pairings. Prices vary per menu item. 6pm.
- Blanket Bingo at Market Square Park – Shout “bingo!” while lounging out on lawn chairs or blankets and enjoying a night out filled with music, fun, and prizes. $10 and includes a packet of bingo cards, which are good for about nine games. 6pm.
- Health Museum presents What’s the Health: Virtual Live Trivia | Virtual – Test your knowledge with fun facts, brainteasers, myth-busting and more, when the Health Museum hosts its first-ever, member-exclusive Virtual Trivia where folks can win prizes on Zoom. You must register for this members-only event. 6:30pm.
- DiverseWorks presents Virtual Luck of the Draw 2021 | No Cover | Virtual – Tune in for your chance at an exclusive online sale of more than 100 small-format artworks by artists across the country and around the globe when DiverseWorks hosts Luck of the Draw, a virtual fundraiser presented live from the studios of Houston MediaSource in Second Ward. The event features special guest interviews, a tribute to artist James Bettison, and the premiere of artist-created music videos. Each piece is priced at $200. You must register to attend this event. 7pm.
- Beetle in the Backyard at The Continental Club – Hear all-time ’60s faves from the Beatles when the Continental Club hosts the popular local tribute group, Beetle, for a weekly live show in the Club’s backyard patio in Midtown. 7pm to 10pm.
- Laughs & Liquor: Brass Tap After Dark Comedy Show | No Cover – Check out some Houston’s brightest and funniest up-and-coming comics when The Brass Tap in Midtown hosts a weekly Thursday comedy night featuring drink specials, $1 wings and more. 8pm to 11pm.
- Turtle Racing: Season 13 at Little Woodrow’s Midtown | No Cover – Watch as slow and steady wins the race during an evening of light-hearted turtle races, DJ tunes, and great drinks when Little Woodrow’s in Midtown hosts their weekly turtle races, now in its 13th year. 8pm to 1am.
- Free Britney at Bottled Blonde | No Cover – Celebrate and support all things Britney Spears, during an evening of Britney Spears impersonators and performances, a Britney Spears dress-up contest with a $250 prize, Free Britney shirts for purchase and more, when Bottled Blonde on Washington Avenue hosts a fun-filled evening event. 8pm to 2am.
- Kyle Nix of Turnpike Troubadours in Concert at Dosey Doe: The Big Barn – Take in the country sounds of songwriter and fiddle player of Turnpike Troubadours, Kyle Nix, when he takes the stage at Dosey Doe: The Big Barn in The Woodlands for a live performance. $18 to $24. 8:30pm.
- The Arcadian Wild in Concert at Old Quarter Acoustic Cafe – Head to the island to enjoy a set of progressive folk and bluegrass when The Arcadian Wild hit the longtime Galveston venue for an intimate performance. Ages 18 and up only. $15. 8:30pm.
- Grand Re-Opening Party at Numbers Nightclub | Virtual Option – Welcome back a Montrose nightlife staple when Numbers Nightclub returns for the second night of their Grand Re-Opening Party, which includes prize giveaways like lifetime passes and concert tickets, as well as a virtual session at 11pm for those who can’t make it in person. $20; VIP options available. 9pm to 2am.
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do this weekend are happening all weekend long. Click here to scroll up and see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
Friday, May 21, 2021
- Classical Theatre Company presents The Well of the Saints: A Three-Part Radio Play on YouTube | FREE | Virtual – Follow the story of Martin and Mary Doul, an old, blind couple in Rural Ireland at the turn of the century, who are visited by a holy journeyman that has come to give them back their sight. This is the first episode of three, which will be broadcast on YouTube on Fridays in May.
- Kidtastic at The Square: Storytime with Jana Banana at Memorial City | FREE – Bring the kiddos to The Square at Memorial City for an interactive morning storytime with Ms. Jana Banana as she reads and acts out some of her favorite stories. 10am.
- Drive-thru Dumpling and Beer Pairing at Eureka Heights Brew Co – Swing by Eureka Heights Brew Company in the Heights where they’ve partenered up with local culinary celebrities, the Dumping Dudez, for a one-of-a-kind pairing package featuring beer and, you guessed it, dumplings. Presale packages start at $45 and each pack will include 12 dumplings (2 of each flavor) and 6 beers. 1pm to 5pm.
- BJ Stricker in Concert at The Rustic Downtown | No Cover – Catch a rockin’ live set filled with toe-tapping, folk rock tunes when singer and guitarist, BJ Stricker, takes to the stage at The Rustic in the heart of Downtown for a live concert. 6pm.
- Boston Seafood Class at Central Market Cooking School – Let your inner chef run wild while learning how to make Boston seafood dishes, based on classics served in popular restaurants throughout the city, when Central Market hosts their Cooking School in Highland Village. $75 per person. 6:30pm.
- Brewery Bingo at 4J Brewing Company – Show up and show out while playing a few socially distanced rounds of bingo where you can win beer and cash prizes at 4J Brewing Company in West Houston. $5 for a bingo card to play. 7pm to 10pm.
- Shotgun Sally in Concert at Dan Electro’s Bar & Live Music Venue – Get your high-energy rock show fix when the local band, Shotgun Sally, perform a 21 and up only concert at Dan Electro’s in The Heights. Chaotic Justice and Unholy Generation open the show. $10. 7pm.
- Jazz Jam with Joe Carmouche at Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – Start your weekend off right with a live outdoor set from jazz guitarist, Joe Carmouche, when he hits the stage at Sugar Land Town Square. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Ars Lyrica Houston presents Idyll & Intrigue: Concert Broadcast Premiere | Virtual – Experience the timeless love story of Idyll & Intrigue, when Ars Lyrica presents an online performance of the ageless tale featuring sopranos Lauren Snouffer and Abigail Fischer. $10. 7:30pm.
- Bidi Bidi Banda at House of Blues – Led by Stephanie Bergara, this Austin-based tribute band to Selena Quintanilla-Pérez arrives in Downtown for a lasting display of the Queen of Tejano’s legacy. $25 to $49.50, but the $25 general admission tickets are Buy-One-Get-One (BOGO), bringing the per-ticket cost down to $12.50. Tickets must be ordered in pairs to get second ticket/entry for free. 8pm.
- Blood Red Sky: U2 Tribute in Concert at The Pub Galleria | No Cover – Hear ’80s and ’90s pop classics, including “With Or Without You” and “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” when Blood Red Sky, a U2 cover band, performs live at The Pub Galleria in Uptown. 8pm.
- 2021 Houston Cocktail Fest at Naylor Street Studios – Try delicious drinks from a lineup of 12 signature cocktails made by skilled mixologists for guests to sample, featuring vodka, whiskey, gin, and tequila, when Houston Cocktail Fest returns for an evening of food and cocktails. $35; $75 VIP with early admission. 8pm to midnight.
- The Lion King Movie Screening at Heritage Park | FREE – Experience the circle of life during an outdoor screening of Disney’s 2019 live-action film, The Lion King, while sprawling out on blankets or in lawn chairs at Heritage Park in Conroe. 8:15pm.
- Jade Bird in Concert at the Heights Theater – Welcome English singer-songwriter Jade Bird for a live performance featuring plenty of folk and Americana tunes when she takes the stage for a show at the Heights Theater. Lucky Kilmartin opens the show. $22 to $288. 8:45pm.
- Friday Exchange at Henke & Pillot | No Cover – Spend your evening dancing the night away to some of the biggest hits of the ’90s and early 2000s at the Friday Exchange night at Henke & Pillot in Downtown. Free with RSVP until 11pm; $50 for a section reservation. 9pm.
- DJ Boris Brejcha at Rise Rooftop – Sway to the techno sounds of German DJ and record producer Boris Brejcha when he spins at Rise Rooftop. Resident DJ Riddler is set to open the show. Cover charge at the door. 10pm.
- More Great Things to Do All Weekend Long – Some of the biggest things to do in Houston this weekend are happening all weekend long. Click here to scroll up and see our list, or browse Houston Experiences to save on museum passes, tours, and more.
Things to Do on Saturday, May 22 and Sunday, May 23, 2021.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Planner email and receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every week. Click here to sign up.
Add Your Event
Don’t see your event? Order a Boosted Calendar Listing and we’ll add it within one business day. Or contact our advertising team to learn about larger campaigns, including bulk and discount options.